By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn: Best graphic !! Who will be the graphics king later?

Pemalite said:
Dallinor said:

When you consider the careful level of balancing that went into the presentation of this game and understand that it was a deliberate choice made by the developers I don't really find it ironic. There's a reason this game looks as good as it does.

The ironic part is that it is likely nothing to do with power, but development time, it takes resources, time and focus to make everything interactive.

Dallinor said:

Also, trying to think back now, did it? Which Far Cry, Instincts or Evolution?

The tech has been around for ages anyway.

Can't remember. I do have both on the original Xbox if you want me to fire them up though.

You could be right, some delicious irony if true, one of the most advanced engines in gaming, used in 5 games now, picked by Kojima, missing a feature that's been around for over a decade. DF think otherwise though, and I'd tend to agree.

Just watched some gameplay there on youtube of the Far Cry's and I couldn't find the interactive vegetation. Also, good lord those games haven't aged well. Even when it launched and was being praised for it's graphics, I remember watching the trailer standing in Gamespot and disliking the visuals, espeiclaly how the vegetation seemed to all meld together. I felt it just wasn't on the same level as Halo.

Around the Network
Chazore said:

I can't say I'm looking forward to next gen because it'll be the same scenario, where the game has to be strictly built for what the then current gen systems can handle and not what high end can actually output. if we went with what high end could output, then it'd be a night and day difference, but that would look bad for the likes of the big 3 if that were to happen. By the time enxt gen comes out, the specs will be behind what AMD and Nvidia come out with in a matter of months to 1-2 years, then we'll be stuck with the same cycle we're in currently.

That has absolutely nothing to do with with why that's happening though.

You don't heavily optimize for the open platform when it's also your smallest market under financial constraints. That makes no sense. It's a complete waste of resources. Go with the lowest common denominator, that can make you the most money, and port out.

Also, take a look at the steam stats. When the next consoles launch, they may well be behind what AMD and Nvidia have to offer, but the majority of PC gamers don't have bleeding edge tech.

Your post really summarizes why after a lot of consideration I haven't invested in a high end rig. With the way the industry has turned, consoles have the inherent advantage of being the prioirty, and primary focus for the vast majority of developers.

CGI-Quality said:
Eh, Battlefront would like a word with you! :P

Was going to say this. Horizon looks great but id say Battlefront, Uncharted, Battlefeild 1, Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 3 look better.

Dallinor said:

You don't heavily optimize for the open platform when it's also your smallest market under financial constraints. That makes no sense. It's a complete waste of resources. Go with the lowest common denominator, that can make you the most money, and port out.

Also, take a look at the steam stats. When the next consoles launch, they may well be behind what AMD and Nvidia have to offer, but the majority of PC gamers don't have bleeding edge tech.

Your post really summarizes why after a lot of consideration I haven't invested in a high end rig. With the way the industry has turned, consoles have the inherent advantage of being the prioirty, and primary focus for the vast majority of developers.

If only some of that were true, but general revenue and popularity between platforms has changed. Especially with the vendor deal AMD is going to have in the coming months to eyars, so even pre-built systems both in store or online will come with AMD's offerings, unless of course all the Steam userbase just sticks with exactly the same spec for the next decade, because I have a hard time believing that a massive group is never going to upgrade within the next 10 years.

If you want the lwoest common, then look no further than mobile, the platform that reigns more users than consoles and vastly more money made.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Dallinor said:

If only some of that were true, but general revenue and popularity between platforms has changed. Especially with the vendor deal AMD is going to have in the coming months to eyars, so even pre-built systems both in store or online will come with AMD's offerings, unless of course all the Steam userbase just sticks with exactly the same spec for the next decade, because I have a hard time believing that a massive group is never going to upgrade within the next 10 years.

If you want the lwoest common, then look no further than mobile, the platform that reigns more users than consoles and vastly more money made.

Which part isn't?

The comment is in the context of AAA gaming, which is what you were originally talking about.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:

Which part isn't?

The comment is in the context of AAA gaming, which is what you were originally talking about.

AAA gaming profits are still made on PC over the years, not amounting to a piddling drop in the bucket like you're making it out to be, especially when you consider long tail sales vs a cut fof with each gen. Since you've put a specific focus on AAA, I assume you aren't going to challenge the mobile area of the industry.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

CGI-Quality said:

Actually, the more I play of Horizon, the less I can back up my original statement. 

Great.

Looks like u are the only one who talks about *threadtopic* right now, there is some random stuff goin on.

Well, at least I know that mobile gaming revenues is bigger than AAA gaming.

jason1637 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Eh, Battlefront would like a word with you! :P

Was going to say this. Horizon looks great but id say Battlefront, Uncharted, Battlefeild 1, Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 3 look better.

They don't. I have a GTX 1070 and on that at the highest settings at 1080p Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 3 don't look as good as Horizon. I'm playing Horizon on a PS4.

Uncharted 4 is close but Horizon looks better.

Horizon and Battlefield 1 both have amazing graphics but Battlefield 1 isn't open world and doesn't have detailed characetr models like the robot dinosaurs in Horizon and also doesn't have that level of vegetationa and weather and that's Battlefield 1 on a GTX 1070 and Horizon on a PS4. On a PS4 Pro it would look better.

I would also say that Horizon is better than all these games in my opinion.

Chazore said:

AAA gaming profits are still made on PC over the years, not amounting to a piddling drop in the bucket like you're making it out to be, especially when you consider long tail sales vs a cut fof with each gen. Since you've put a specific focus on AAA, I assume you aren't going to challenge the mobile area of the industry.

I never said, or implied, it was a piddling drop in the bucket. I said it was the smallest market for most AAA publishers. For example, picking the title you keep showcasing in this thread- when 70% of your sales now come from consoles, then that is the area you double down on as a business.

Consoles are keeping the AAA industry afloat right now, and allow for many titles to reach PC at such a high level of fidelity, as it stands.

Chazore said:

I can't say I'm looking forward to next gen because it'll be the same scenario, where the game has to be strictly built for what the then current gen systems can handle and not what high end can actually output. if we went with what high end could output, then it'd be a night and day difference, but that would look bad for the likes of the big 3 if that were to happen.

Clearly talking about mobile gaming here, right?

Just re-alinging the focus. Not moving the goalposts.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Horizon is probably the best in terms of environments, scale, vegetation. Its the best open world game by far, its like that witcher 3 footage before the downgrade, and all this with no jaggies in 30 fps with no drops, 30 hours and i havent noticed framerate drops. Its impressive. Also it have the most complex enemies , those fucking machines man xD

Uncharted 4 is better in animation, have better faces, better textures and have those little details that are not possible in one open world game.

Kojima will blow our fucking minds with his game in this engine, i have no doubt.

I think so too! @ Horizon Zero Dawn + Uncharted 4. Thanks for your thoughts.

Kojima-san with the Horizon Zero Dawn Engine... oh yeah < 3 Death Stranding  < 3