By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - BOLD Prediction: Zelda BotW will do a Whopping 10mil Lifetime! Update 10mil Achieved

curl-6 said:

I'm changing my forecast from "will pass 8 million" to "will pass 10 million".

Same here, now i actually believe it can pass 10m.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I'm changing my forecast from "will pass 8 million" to "will pass 10 million".

Next time in a year from now. Itll be will pass 15mil loln

kopstudent89 said:
It can but depends on Switch sales. I personally think it has a chance but will take a while to achieve it

Almost 4 million in a month. It will definitely go close to 8 million this year. I have no doubts now 10 mil by end of 2018

Will be great to see the Zelda franchise finally get a true juggernaut seller after all these decades (I define that as 10m+).

Faelco said:
Bajablo said:

lack of people liking zelda? i've seen people that have 'moved on' from nintendo saying it is the first time in ages they have been excited to play zelda again.
i think you are underestimating older people that now have money to spare :P unlike when they played the first game at age ~7

Zelda never achieved 10M sales, even on the 100M Wii userbase. I don't think it will achieve that on the Switch either. The attach rate will be big, no doubt about that, and it will sell really well, but I don't think 10M people are interested enough in it to buy it.

Zelda never broke that because the games were made by Aonuma, the biggest fuck up in the gaming industry. Sales of the series have been depressed under him and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo told him to sit in the corner and not to touch anything.

To answer the question, the answer is yes. I wrote about this on my site and you can check it out there (won't post it here to avoid self-promotion). To summarize, the reason the game is doing so well is because it hits on what makes Zelda tick 1)Celtic fantasy 2)Difficult 3)Open World. It hits all three of those. The result is a huge success.  

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
VideoGameAccountant said:
Faelco said:

Zelda never achieved 10M sales, even on the 100M Wii userbase. I don't think it will achieve that on the Switch either. The attach rate will be big, no doubt about that, and it will sell really well, but I don't think 10M people are interested enough in it to buy it.

Zelda never broke that because the games were made by Aonuma, the biggest fuck up in the gaming industry. Sales of the series have been depressed under him and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo told him to sit in the corner and not to touch anything.

To answer the question, the answer is yes. I wrote about this on my site and you can check it out there (won't post it here to avoid self-promotion). To summarize, the reason the game is doing so well is because it hits on what makes Zelda tick 1)Celtic fantasy 2)Difficult 3)Open World. It hits all three of those. The result is a huge success.  

Woaah. I kinda agree with you, but no need to be so harsh.

I think Zelda never sold 10 million units because there was always something overshadowing it. People didn't buy the Wii or N64 for Zelda, they bought it for Wii Sports or Mario 64. BotW launched with no competition, and the overwhlemingly positive word of mouth and reception will guarantee to be a long seller, but more specifically a system seller. And like I've said before, DLC/continous support will help it sell throughout the year, and who knows, maybe longer.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Impossible to judge how this will end sales wise.

I mean the game has a impossible over 100+% attach rate after 1 month.

Slarvax said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

Woaah. I kinda agree with you, but no need to be so harsh.

I think Zelda never sold 10 million units because there was always something overshadowing it. People didn't buy the Wii or N64 for Zelda, they bought it for Wii Sports or Mario 64. BotW launched with no competition, and the overwhlemingly positive word of mouth and reception will guarantee to be a long seller, but more specifically a system seller. And like I've said before, DLC/continous support will help it sell throughout the year, and who knows, maybe longer.

I disagree. Competition between games doesn't happen too often, at least not in this broad of sense. Consumers won't say "Oh, well I bought Mario 64, I better not buy the Legend of Zelda." If the games are good enough and consumers have the money, they will buy both. Moreover, successful consoles will sell more games and prop up worst selling games. The Wii and DS sold about 900 million software units while the Wii U only sold 98 million. The rising tide lifts all boats. 

If what you said was true, why did Twilight Princess make the same headway? The people who bought Zelda are different than the people who bought Wii Sports. Why were people not excited for other Zeldas like they were BoTW. The answer is that BoTW did something right where the other games didn't. Wind Waker lacked the Celtic theme and difficulty. Skyward Sword lacked the overworld and everything else. The DS game threw the theme and exploration out the window.

'The last big success for the series was Ocarina of Time. TP did well, but it only met OoT and was likely carried by the success of the Wii. The series has been under his control since the late 90s, so why did it take so long to make this kind of Zelda?

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Geralt said:
Im thinking closer to 4 million

I miss you.

i bought a used wii u and pro controller for this game. fucking love it.