By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - BOLD Prediction: Zelda BotW will do a Whopping 10mil Lifetime! Update 10mil Achieved

JWeinCom said:
tbone51 said:

Your right, TP is in the similar situation no doubt so comparison is correct thinking. That said TP was off by 1.5mil, which is alot sure but still close.

Switch doesnt need to be as high as wii. It could still do 50mil and reach 10mil combined with LoZ wiiu. Look at the high sales some games got on wiiu despite a 15mil userbase.

That said BotW is tracking ahead of TP and ibwouldnt be surprised if it is already close to 4mil by end of its first month (shipped+digital)

It may be tracking ahead of TP, but at the same time PS4 was tracking higher than PS2 for a while.  It's the nature of the industry that things today start off faster.  Also, Breath of the Wild has the advantage of being the only worthwhile title on the Switch right now, which is why it has basically 100% attach rate.  When Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out, we'll see less people getting Zelda with their Switch.

I believe that first month sales of the Switch were 2.4 million, so I'm not sure how BOTW gets to 4 million.  It's not selling 2 million on Wii U in a month.

That's like saying that the people that could have bought MK8 on Wii U for less than it now is on Switch will still buy it on the Switch without any other reason, you realize that , right ? MK8D will be the game that will make people think "Oh, I can buy the Switch with two great games", nothing less, nothing more...

contestgamer said:
the_dengle said:

6 million is "niche" now.

Anything under 8 million is pretty niche nowadays

LMAO anything for who ? Activision employees ?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Shiken said:
With ease. The Switch is selling like hotcakes and the game has over a 100% attach ratio...you do the math.

Well, naturally its attach rate is not going to remain over 100%, but it should still remain quite high. Ocarina of Time had about a 25% attach rate to the N64, if Botw ends up somewhere similar, then for it to pass 10 million, Switch would have to sell 40 million, which should be reachable if Nintendo keeps its eye on the ball.

Yeah of course it will not remain over 100%.  That is just something to put the demand into perspective as those who are buying a Switch in the future will most likely get this game as well due to it not being available anywhere else and all of the critical acclaim it has received.

Right now it is still the go to hot game to own for a console  that is constantly selling out.  Even when Mario drops, those who get the Switch during the holiday will likely get both games.  As sales for the game do eventually slow, it is also a given that Breath of the Wild will have amazing legs.

The way I see it, Nintendo would really have to drop the ball for it not to reach 10 mil.  I think your assessment of Nintendo reaching 40 mil sales with the Switch being around the time Breath of the Wild reaches 10 mil on Switch alone though is accurate and realistic.  It could happen sooner, but I do not want to put the goal posts too far out of reach lol.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Luke888 said:
JWeinCom said:

It may be tracking ahead of TP, but at the same time PS4 was tracking higher than PS2 for a while.  It's the nature of the industry that things today start off faster.  Also, Breath of the Wild has the advantage of being the only worthwhile title on the Switch right now, which is why it has basically 100% attach rate.  When Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out, we'll see less people getting Zelda with their Switch.

I believe that first month sales of the Switch were 2.4 million, so I'm not sure how BOTW gets to 4 million.  It's not selling 2 million on Wii U in a month.

That's like saying that the people that could have bought MK8 on Wii U for less than it now is on Switch will still buy it on the Switch without any other reason, you realize that , right ? MK8D will be the game that will make people think "Oh, I can buy the Switch with two great games", nothing less, nothing more...

People will buy it on the Switch because they want a Switch.  The Switch hardware itself is more appealing than the Wii U, and especially now when it's shiny and new, a lot of people are going to buy it mainly for the hardware.  Those people will naturally want at least one game to play.  Right now, Zelda is basically the only real choice.  When Mario Kart 8 comes out, people will have another viable option, and some people will go with that.

It really depends on if Nintendo continues releasing DLC for it, and if the DLC spawns hype.

If they release even one more major DLC that adds up to as much as this fall's pack is supposed to have, and they release it sometime strategic next year, then it'll absolutely give it the lifetime push it'll need to hit 10m.

Without that, I'm anticipating 7-8m, due to being a launch title and waning interest as time goes by, despite the quality of the title.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Shiken said:
curl-6 said:

Well, naturally its attach rate is not going to remain over 100%, but it should still remain quite high. Ocarina of Time had about a 25% attach rate to the N64, if Botw ends up somewhere similar, then for it to pass 10 million, Switch would have to sell 40 million, which should be reachable if Nintendo keeps its eye on the ball.

Yeah of course it will not remain over 100%.  That is just something to put the demand into perspective as those who are buying a Switch in the future will most likely get this game as well due to it not being available anywhere else and all of the critical acclaim it has received.

Right now it is still the go to hot game to own for a console  that is constantly selling out.  Even when Mario drops, those who get the Switch during the holiday will likely get both games.  As sales for the game do eventually slow, it is also a given that Breath of the Wild will have amazing legs.

The way I see it, Nintendo would really have to drop the ball for it not to reach 10 mil.  I think your assessment of Nintendo reaching 40 mil sales with the Switch being around the time Breath of the Wild reaches 10 mil on Switch alone though is accurate and realistic.  It could happen sooner, but I do not want to put the goal posts too far out of reach lol.

Yeah for the next few months pretty much every Switch buyer is going to get Botw. It's only further down the line when many more great games are available that some people will start buying it for say, Splatoon 2 or a new Animal Crossing, and for some of those people Botw won't be their cup of tea.

25% is still a really strong attach rate. 3DS for example doesn't have any games at all with an attach rate that high, not even Pokemon.

Around the Network

3.84mil, just 6.16mil more to go

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nintendo Switch - 2.76 million
Nintendo Wii U - 1.08 million

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Nintendo Wii - 2.47 million
GameCube

Roar_Of_War said:
zygote said:

Yes, you are right.  Other titles did sell really close as well such as Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, and Twilight Princess, but my point is not near the sales of more casual, multiplayer friendly titles.  I personally think that BoTW will likely surpass 10 million due to the timing of its release and its impact on the Switch console, but it is just as concievable that Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and other more multiplayer friendly titles will take the wind out of those sales going into the Holiday.

That usually doesn't happen. Zelda will sell better due to the installbase increase that MK8D brings forth. Those MK8 and Splatoon players need something else to scratch their Switch itch. It's not that conceivable, really. 

As the installbase increases, so do sales of other games. Because new owners can't just play a single game. Zelda will be the primary title to buy alongside other evergreen titles. Zelda itself is already proving to be an evergreen game itself, so it should leg out nicely. 

Keep in mind that Zelda is selling this well with Switch supply constraints.

Very good points and agreed.  We would also need to consider that even Twilight Princess did not surpass 9 million and there was a lot of hype surrounding it, due to the more realistic graphics, on a much more "media" hyped console, Wii.  The comparison here is valid as Zelda is just not the type of game to reach out to the masses, which has been the requirement for many games to outsell expectations, selling in 8 digits vs. 7.  I do think it is different this time, as Zelda Botw plays much more freely and anyone can get lost in the gameplay.  The design is refreshing enough that it can appeal to a much larger audience.  Not Mario Kart worthy, but much more accessible than what we have traditionally seen.  Time will tell if the "Zelda game" barrier can be broken down by this fact for those users who would normally not consider playing such a game.

3.84 million first month means at least one of tbone's predictions for Zelda (near 4 million first month) have come true, so well done on that.

I'd love to see Breath of the Wild hit 10 million, but personally I'd still expect the game to top out around 7-8 million. However, I'm happy to be proven wrong. This is also the first Zelda title that's going to receive DLC support, and while that might be limited to two packs this year, it's not inconceivable Nintendo will launch further DLC for the title in the future. If they go so far as to offer a major expansion - and sell a 'Game of the Year' edition - then perhaps that's where Zelda's 10 million comes from. It'll certainly be interesting to find out.

I believe in you tbone.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I'm changing my forecast from "will pass 8 million" to "will pass 10 million".