By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon budget is at least 45 million Euro, 250 dev team

superchunk said:
Why is the responses to my post focused on this one game vs the overall trend?

Yes, this game looks good and has hype that will make it individually profitable. However, how many other games that pushed graphical boundaries lost money when the same game could have been lower graphically and been profitable?

Yes, this has been a trend since PS360 (and technically even before). However, since PS360 how many game devs have gone under due to this trend?

I also don't see how this game being made at 720p vs 1080p vs 4K is making the game itself discretely better or mor enjoyable or more value packed as a game. I'm pretty sure people playing this game on TVs that only output those resolutions will all have the same enjoyment of the same experience.

Different people value different things. For me, graphics (and by extension image quality) help me become immersed in a game's world, which directly effects my enjoyment. Good graphics don't make a bad game good, but they do make good games better for me. I wouldn't have invested so heavily in PC gaming if that wasn't the case, nor would i currently own a PS4 Pro.

As i mentioned in my previous post, 4k seems like a good compromise to your argument. The industry is not going to stop pushing tech, but 4k gives it a good resource dump. It's considerably cheaper than the alternative, while also easily marketable.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
I know it wasnt in full production in 2011, but good lord, games are taking way too much time to make nowadays.But yeah, hyped about this game.I personally plan to get one game in march, and im torn betwenn this game and Nier.

I think you should get Horizon, it's a far bigger experience from what i've seen of both games and most likely will be the better game of the two. Plus people are pretty hell bent on spoiling the game from what i've heard so you might want to beat it before you come across a spoiler (if that bothers you).

Turkish said:
Interesting that GG was able to make a game on a scale of Witcher 3 with less people and a smaller budget! I also like that Horizon has much more variety in environments, from snowey mountains to forests to grand canyon type areas. W3 felt almost the same the whole game until Blood and Wine.

If you hire cheap Chinese labour it's not that hard... 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

That's pretty expensive for an exclusive.
Almost on the same scale as AAA multiplats, but hey I can see where the budget went. Looks good.

Intrinsic said:

Because you have bias written all over everything you say and honestly just pull out some shit out of thing air to push a narrative.......

What kinda bulshit is that about games like horizon being why the industry will collapse and this silly talk about graphics and high budgets.

Then what will you say about this?

In a recent Nintendo shareholder’s meeting, Shigeru Miyamoto clarified the size of the development team on Zelda: Breath of the Wild but that it will also need to sell around 2 million copies to break even on its development costs.

Here, read it for yourself.....

So thats a sub 1080p game. It needs to sell at least twice as much as horizon to even break even. 

I don't believe I said its only nonNintendo devs doing this. I think that is your bias, not mine. It also fits my narrative just fine. My focus is to not push graphics but instead spend time improving tools to reduce costs. BOTW should not require 2MM sales to break even just as Horizon should not.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Game was in pre-production on a team of 20 for 3 years starting in 2011, after KZSF launched in late 2013, entire studio worked on it. Plus 100 devs in China who created assets from artwork and concepts.

The future is here! Outsourcing is just one click away.

superchunk said:

I don't believe I said its only nonNintendo devs doing this. I think that is your bias, not mine. It also fits my narrative just fine. My focus is to not push graphics but instead spend time improving tools to reduce costs. BOTW should not require 2MM sales to break even just as Horizon should not.

I agree that tools should be improved to bring down costs..... but even doing that cost money (until its done).

As things stand in the industry, what makes these games cost as much as they do isn't a mad craze for better graphics. Just look at a game like abzu, rime, child of light, below, the witness....etc. All extremely great looking games but none cost nearly as much as the bigger budget games to make. And that comes down to the size of the world and the assets that goes into those worlds. These games cost as much as they do because of how big, varied or how high the production levels are in the game. No amont of tools will bring down those costs.

20 years ago a game like ocarina of time had nothing but its world and gameplay to go for it. That was ok then and marked the pinnacle of game development. Today? development has grown, and now you need things like voice actors, cinematic directorsz surround sound design teams....etc, All these things add to the quality of the "base" game and in turn its cost of development.

Then we have games like COD, which doesnt really cost more than $30-$40M to actually develop each game.... but has a marketing budget that could b 3-4x more than that!!!!

All I am saying is that there is way more than graphics that result in why games cost as much as they do now.

SpokenTruth said:
betacon said:

Umm they're a Sony stuido

Yes, and that doesn't change how they get paid. 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/anatomy-of-a-60-dollar-video-game.html

GG is a Sony studio, so Sony paid that $47.5M (just going with the current Euro to USD conversion rate). Sony will be getting back ~$34 per game at a $60 retail price. Not $9. So about 1.4M sales needed to break even if that 45M Euro includes marketting. 

4 ≈ One

superchunk said:
Intrinsic said:

Because you have bias written all over everything you say and honestly just pull out some shit out of thing air to push a narrative.......

What kinda bulshit is that about games like horizon being why the industry will collapse and this silly talk about graphics and high budgets.

Then what will you say about this?

In a recent Nintendo shareholder’s meeting, Shigeru Miyamoto clarified the size of the development team on Zelda: Breath of the Wild but that it will also need to sell around 2 million copies to break even on its development costs.

Here, read it for yourself.....

So thats a sub 1080p game. It needs to sell at least twice as much as horizon to even break even. 

The point is it's not a black and white issue you can't just blame  it just on having increased graphical fidelity ,that is why he bought up BOTW to show that graphics are just a small part of a much larger picture , I feel that marketing is where the fat should be trimmed. 

We cry out for more than just graphics, new  living breathing dynamic worlds to explore better AI that gives us more non core  NPC's who's behaviour and physical appearence  isn't a clone of the last one all this and a myriad other choices  cost time and money, and we want it for $60rrp a pricepoint that hasn't increased for a long time, do we  need every one to be on the cutting edge no we need diversity and that includes games with all types of budgets.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Turkish said:
Interesting that GG was able to make a game on a scale of Witcher 3 with less people and a smaller budget! I also like that Horizon has much more variety in environments, from snowey mountains to forests to grand canyon type areas. W3 felt almost the same the whole game until Blood and Wine.

Does Horizon have Gwent?

No?

GTFO.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix