By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon budget is at least 45 million Euro, 250 dev team

superchunk said:
This is why gaming is going to fail if dev costs are not reduced. (hinting back to other thread on not pushing into 4K gaming yet)

This game requires about 1.2MM sales just to break even. (45MM/$40 earned on $60 game)

That is insane and will likely cause game prices to increase in the near future. But thank goodness we'll get 4K images in the process because that makes the game so much more fun to play.

Shouldn't you be embracing 4k? Regardless to your personal views on the topic, it's clear the industry has no interest in halting its technical march. So knowing that, 4k seems like a good compromise. It's considerably cheaper to get a game to run at 4k than it is to focus those resources on graphics, which is exactly what would happen if they stuck to 1080p.

Around the Network

Why is the responses to my post focused on this one game vs the overall trend?

Yes, this game looks good and has hype that will make it individually profitable. However, how many other games that pushed graphical boundaries lost money when the same game could have been lower graphically and been profitable?

Yes, this has been a trend since PS360 (and technically even before). However, since PS360 how many game devs have gone under due to this trend?

I also don't see how this game being made at 720p vs 1080p vs 4K is making the game itself discretely better or mor enjoyable or more value packed as a game. I'm pretty sure people playing this game on TVs that only output those resolutions will all have the same enjoyment of the same experience.

superchunk said:

Yes, this game looks good and has hype that will make it individually profitable. However, how many other games that pushed graphical boundaries lost money when the same game could have been lower graphically and been profitable?

Yes, this has been a trend since PS360 (and technically even before). However, since PS360 how many game devs have gone under due to this trend?

I also don't see how this game being made at 720p vs 1080p vs 4K is making the game itself discretely better or mor enjoyable or more value packed as a game. I'm pretty sure people playing this game on TVs that only output those resolutions will all have the same enjoyment of the same experience.

Because you claimed Horizon's budget is why gaming is going to fail, do you even read your own posts?

The traditional gaming industry is reinventing itself. Games aren't getting more expensive thus studios closed down as we were led to believe, more accurately: studios closed down because they weren't innovative enough, the market was saturated, too much bloat. Last gen was the height of CoD clones and copycats of popular products. That is over, there are fewer products on the market but what is out there is better and more unique. Just in the shooter genre there is Destiny, Titanfall, Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege, very distinct games.

Turkish said:
superchunk said:

Because you claimed Horizon's budget is why gaming is going to fail, do you even read your own posts?

The traditional gaming industry is reinventing itself. Games aren't getting more expensive thus studios closed down as we were led to believe, more accurately: studios closed down because they weren't innovative enough, the market was saturated, too much bloat. Last gen was the height of CoD clones and copycats of popular products. That is over, there are fewer products on the market but what is out there is better and more unique. Just in the shooter genre there is Destiny, Titanfall, Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege, very distinct games.

Studio's aren't closing down becaue most all games are owned by like a handful of stuidioes. You know the giants, Sony, EA, Nintendo, Microsoft.

Everyone else has been brought down to "indie status", or they rely compeltely on funding from the big giants. You know like how platinum games is always needing 100% funding for their games and is always then forced to tell their fans that its not up to them which console gets their game.

That is why people love indies so much these days. Because that market is like the market of old. You have hundreds of new games coming out in all types of genres and playstyles and art styles, ect. In teh AAA market, you wait around for holiday seasno to come and buy you annual 20+ million dollar budgetted game.

irstupid said:
Turkish said:

Studio's aren't closing down becaue most all games are owned by like a handful of stuidioes. You know the giants, Sony, EA, Nintendo, Microsoft.

Everyone else has been brought down to "indie status", or they rely compeltely on funding from the big giants. You know like how platinum games is always needing 100% funding for their games and is always then forced to tell their fans that its not up to them which console gets their game.

That is why people love indies so much these days. Because that market is like the market of old. You have hundreds of new games coming out in all types of genres and playstyles and art styles, ect. In teh AAA market, you wait around for holiday seasno to come and buy you annual 20+ million dollar budgetted game.

So I take it you dont own a PS4, because on the PS4, we get AA and AAA games all year round. Just recently Nioh, Yakuza, Gravity Rush and the list goes on and on.

Around the Network
celador said:
They should be making a lot of money on this game then. I think they could break even first week

More like first day.....

I see this game generating at least $150-$180 in revenue at full price. Thats saying around 2.5-3M sales at $60. And its most likeley going to do 1M in the first day globally.

superchunk said:

Because you have bias written all over everything you say and honestly just pull out some shit out of thing air to push a narrative.......

What kinda bulshit is that about games like horizon being why the industry will collapse and this silly talk about graphics and high budgets.

Then what will you say about this?

In a recent Nintendo shareholder’s meeting, Shigeru Miyamoto clarified the size of the development team on Zelda: Breath of the Wild but that it will also need to sell around 2 million copies to break even on its development costs.

Here, read it for yourself.....

So thats a sub 1080p game. It needs to sell at least twice as much as horizon to even break even. 

Turkish said:
Interesting that GG was able to make a game on a scale of Witcher 3 with less people and a smaller budget! I also like that Horizon has much more variety in environments, from snowey mountains to forests to grand canyon type areas. W3 felt almost the same the whole game until Blood and Wine.

A couple of things I need to correct and/or remind you of here:

1: The Witcher 3 was a multiplatform title being developers simultaneously, whereas Horizon is exclusive to PS4.

2: The development budget was nowhere near 81 million dollars, it was reportedly around 32-33 million dollars and the bigger figures include promotional budgets and marketing. TW3 had a massive marketing push in all major territories.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-much-did-the-witcher-3-cost
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059873

3: The Witcher 3 is a lot more detailed, the sidequests are immense and varied, the main story is a lot longer, the world is jam packed with content, NPC's and events and map is colossal. Writing is miles better, music as well, skill system along with magic has a lot more depth and variation, it has a slew of effects enabled or available for PC users. Hell, look at the size of Novigrad alone, that city is near as big as some entire games with all its underground passages and districts! In Horizon, I've yet to find a single hut or house that I could open and enter, there are practically no interiors designed for it besides dungeons, compare that to TW3 and Skyrim, for instance. I think I spent 95 hours on The Witcher 3 before the expansion packs came out, it's an immense game and it plays a lot more like a full fledged RPG designed in such a way that your choices and actions actually have a huge impact on the world and the story. Horizon is a great open world ARPG but it doesn't hold a candle to TW3 is sheer scope, variation and epicness.

Turkish said:
irstupid said:

So I take it you dont own a PS4, because on the PS4, we get AA and AAA games all year round. Just recently Nioh, Yakuza, Gravity Rush and the list goes on and on.

Yeah, it's clear he's not been updated on the PS4's releases.

RolStoppable said:

So in order to put superchunk in his place you link an article that echoes his sentiments about rising development budgets posing a problem?

You should read his post again.....

he clearly referenced the push for better looking games and higher rez t be the main driver to these high prices and singled out budgets like these as to why game development will fail.

I showed him a game that isn't doing any of the things he pointed out and yet still has a higher budget.

Its easy for a lot of people to look at games today and say this or that is why they are expensive but most just ignore the fact that maybe thats just what it costs to make a game today. And that that costs isn't due to some mad craze to just have more pixels and better graphics but that its simply were the industry is today and as always will adjust. I mean you can outsource game art and asset development to other companies today for crying out loud! Like we have "asset" farms right now. Things change.

Anyways..... I know better than to get into an argement with you... so lets just agreee to disagree here and now.