By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would it be possible for Nintendo to bring back asymmetric and 2-screen gameplay?

Do you see Nintendo doing this?

Yes, both are excellent c... 4 22.22%

No, it would be too expen... 7 38.89%

Unlikely, asymmetric mult... 5 27.78%

Unlikely, 2-screen gamepl... 2 11.11%

Total:18

Thinking of the Switch, I noticed that the few 'advances' that the Wii U brought forward, including further focus on asymmetric (multi-player) gameplay, as well as additional gameplay input options (e.g. using the touch-screen in Pikmin 3) were quite useful, even if under-utilized. Nintendo has had a long-history with using double-screen gameplay, from the days of the Game & Watch and the Four Sword Adventures Gamecube-GBA link concept. With (2)DS and 3DS, the 2-screen gameplay was, for better or for worse, explored primarily in the form of handheld games. The Wii U largely failed to properly tread the console 2-screen space however.

But, looking at the Switch, I noticed that technically there is nothing preventing Nintendo from making games that can offer asymmetric multi-player gameplay: You just need one console docked, and another one to be in portable mode -- with the user with the portable console having a different role. All of the ideas done on Wii U, or even through the GBA-GC link concept, are still feasible with the Switch, so long as you have 2 or more of them available.

They can even resurrect games that need 2-screens for single player: 1 Switch remains docked, the other becomes the controller+2nd screen for those games that can make use of this capability.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

I'm gonna miss it. Maybe with the cell phone app? I mean I LOVE Pikmin 3 and the second screen is a godsend in that game.

Why would need it to be docked?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

So you can have single-player games where you have the game on your television, and an additional screen on your hands, displaying different content? Isn't this the whole point of the Wii U, and what this thread is bringing up as a subject of debate?

Helloplite said:
TomaTito said:

So you can have single-player games where you have the game on your television, and an additional screen on your hands, displaying different content? Isn't this the whole point of the Wii U, and what this thread is bringing up as a subject of debate?

Which games require the TV/Gamepad on the WiiU? StarFox Zero? Any others?

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

For Multiplayer LAN/Online definitely, for Single Player games no.

TomaTito said:
Helloplite said:

Which games require the TV/Gamepad on the WiiU? StarFox Zero? Any others?

This. Almost all Wii U games I've played can be played without the TV. Only a few games, like Splatoon, required both Gamepad and TV, but for most of these games the Gamepad wasn't very important (in Splatoon for example, it only showed the map).

I'm afraid for the next Zelda.

I saw an interview with the guy saying he hopes to make the next Zelda multiplayer (you know like four swords)

I never like those types of Zelda games. Never buy them. I don't want to have to find friends to play my solo link aventure. I hate having to control npc's that sub for players not with me.

So for your topic, I could see some more of those games coming out. I just hope it's not for Zelda.

Helloplite said:

Thinking of the Switch, I noticed that the few 'advances' that the Wii U brought forward, including further focus on asymmetric (multi-player) gameplay, as well as additional gameplay input options (e.g. using the touch-screen in Pikmin 3) were quite useful, even if under-utilized. Nintendo has had a long-history with using double-screen gameplay, from the days of the Game & Watch and the Four Sword Adventures Gamecube-GBA link concept. With (2)DS and 3DS, the 2-screen gameplay was, for better or for worse, explored primarily in the form of handheld games. The Wii U largely failed to properly tread the console 2-screen space however.

But, looking at the Switch, I noticed that technically there is nothing preventing Nintendo from making games that can offer asymmetric multi-player gameplay: You just need one console docked, and another one to be in portable mode -- with the user with the portable console having a different role. All of the ideas done on Wii U, or even through the GBA-GC link concept, are still feasible with the Switch, so long as you have 2 or more of them available.

They can even resurrect games that need 2-screens for single player: 1 Switch remains docked, the other becomes the controller+2nd screen for those games that can make use of this capability.

Thoughts?

Ohh yes, let's make games that require more than one Switch in order to play. Brilliant move.

irstupid said:
I'm afraid for the next Zelda.

I saw an interview with the guy saying he hopes to make the next Zelda multiplayer (you know like four swords)

I never like those types of Zelda games. Never buy them. I don't want to have to find friends to play my solo link aventure. I hate having to control npc's that sub for players not with me.

So for your topic, I could see some more of those games coming out. I just hope it's not for Zelda.

Gamexplain had a nice idea for it to be just a co-op Zelda game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijhvvT9kTG0&t=186

"¡Viva la Ñ!"