By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch games are not all TV compatible (VOEZ)

This seems dumb and nintendo should forbid it.... imo.
Any game for the system should be able to be played on either mode.

Around the Network

Well...kind of expected with touch controls and all. But even then, it'd be up to the developer ultimately. I've seen plenty touch controlled games with button options. That's the story of a lot of Wii U games.

Oh look, the usuals are already here trying to blow this out of proportion, what a surprise.

Developers can do portable only games on Switch, so? Somebody really thinks that is gonna be a popular thing instead of something that only a minority will do and only because the games are based on touchscreen? Right now there is only one out of...100? and is a japanese rythym game, but nah, Switch is doomed, there is no point on being an hybrid, so much for a homeconsole, shit, shit and more shit.

And no, we shouldn't expect "quite a bit of games to use that kind of limitation" and you know it.

Faelco said:

Didn't see that here yet, but interesting info about the Switch games:

Switch games can be handheld mode only. It's like that for the game VOEZ, a rythm mobile game releasing on Switch in Japan on March 3rd. Being a mobile tactile game, it can be played only in handheld mode with the touchscreen, but just can't be played in TV or table mode. We don't know yet if games can also be TV mode only, but it's clearly a possibility.

Link (in French):

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/voez-quand-la-switch-zappe-le-mode-tv-A173739.html

My opinion on this is that we can expect quite a bit of games to use that kind of limitation. Developers will try to limit development costs and won't all create 2 different modes for their games. So the Switch will surely get a lot of handheld games without TV mode optimization or even without TV mode at all. I guess the good news about it is that the Switch can get mobile games more easily with almost no work needed for the port (except maybe for F2P games using microtransactions, it would need some work).

Anyway, good news for the devs, less work for them, but I think it could really restrict the hybrid interest of the Switch.

EDIT: English link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-27-nintendo-switch-has-its-first-touchscreen-only-game

I doubt this happens for a lot of games. In this example VOEZ utilizes the touchscreen. The other controller-options don't include the touchscreen, so it is impossible in docked mode. So I think only games using exclusively the touchscreen will be restricted to mobile mode. That means basically ports from phones.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Faelco said:
vkaraujo said:
Makes sense for touchscreen based games.
I have a hard time thinking why someone would make a TV only game, maybe a few genres like horror, that do rely on a deeper immersion.

Well, if your game don't run properly on handheld mode...

Louie said:

So after one game there is no point to the Switch anymore? You are really jumping to conclusions here! How many other games have been announced to be only playable in handheld mode? How many major games? Because I don't know of a single one besides this one. Or am I missing something? 

How am I jumping to conclusions by saying "If more games are like that, then it could...."?

The console is not out yet, and one of its first third party games is like this. We can safely assume that more games will release like this one. I'm not saying it will be a lot of games, but the devs have that possibility if they want, so we'll see how they use it. If devs can reduce development costs, I think some of them will do it.

There is a pretty clear reason by the usage of touchscreen. So assuming more ports from phones like VOEZ will be restricted that way, but I don#t see how it should affect console-games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network
m_csquare said:
So all Theatrhythm and other rhytm games are gon be affected by this? Hmm i wonder how some devs will react to this news

Nah, rhythm games can use buttons, as they usually do on console. VOEZ is a phone game that was ported to Switch. On phones there are no buttons, so this input-scheme isn't implemented.

Well, more power to the devs I guess.I can hardly see that making the game "compatible" to the TV would make the development more expensive, sonce its only putputting to the TV, unless you need to adapt the controls(like it would be in this case), but even then it wouldnt be much work anyway to adapt the game to a console.In my opinion these types of games will be the exception.I feel like the developers that put little work on their port, or that port a game that is simply not that well compatible to the system(like this one that can only be played in the handheld mode) will sell nad this early in the lifecycle.But we will see.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Shouldn't be too big of an issue :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

twintail said:

Considering I never asked the question you somehow think I asked, all I can do is chuckle at how pathetic this damage control, and condescending tone, is 

To quote you:

twintail said:
whats the point of it being a hybrid then?

Then someone else asked you a purposefully stupid question of which you replied condescendingly in similar fashion to your reply to me above. Fact is, you asked a purposefully stupid baiting question and thus received similar.

Its not damage control, in fact I had a question calling out the decision when there is a perfectly acceptable technical solution a few posts up. This devs choice is self-limiting but it does not impact the hybrid nature of the console.

Rather than concern for games possibly being either only portable/TV mode, I find this game being ported to Switch very interesting. I didn't even know Switch had a multi touch screen, and with this sort of game coming to the Switch, that presents an interesting 3rd way to play games on it: like a tablet.  Seeing how this game is originally played, that would imply you can play games on the Switch with just the screen, and that seems really interesting. Perhaps more different types of games will be able to make their way to the Switch, or at least provide more control schemes for it.

Also, for this game being portable only, I think it's understandable why they ultimate went with that decision. As trying to set up the game to play with buttons would be quite a challenge for the dev team and the best way for them was to go this route. Sure, buttons may have been fine, or a peripheral, like DDR, Beatmania, and the Taiko game, but I think this game was best designed with your fingers, and that wouldn't really work out on TV mode.

So yeah, don't really think this is a big deal. I mean, just check out the gameplay for it. I imagine trying to play this with buttons on the TV would be rather difficult.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread