By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does more power really mean a better game?

Does a more powerful console mean better games?

Yes 61 25.74%

No 129 54.43%

I am undecided... 7 2.95%

MOAR POWER!!!!! 17 7.17%

I still play on my last gen machine 15 6.33%

The NES classic is the way to go 8 3.38%

Total:237
Rab said:
GoOnKid said:

No, good game design makes good games.

^ This

Intrinsic said:
Imagine BoTW built to make the best of say the PS4 hardware.

Would you consider that a "better" game?

More power doesn't directly mean better game, it means less limitations, more opportunities and an all round better looking game.

So going back to the BoTW thing, it would have looked much much better than it does now. And thats not a bad thing.

BotW would look and perform better on the PS4, but it would "play" the same.

A Zelda designed from the ground up on stronger hardware, that we will see next generation.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
Intrinsic said:
Imagine BoTW built to make the best of say the PS4 hardware.

Would you consider that a "better" game?

More power doesn't directly mean better game, it means less limitations, more opportunities and an all round better looking game.

So going back to the BoTW thing, it would have looked much much better than it does now. And thats not a bad thing.

Sure, but a game that Plays the same and looks/performs better is a better game.

If the Switch was capable of running BOTW in 1080p/60FPS it would be an objectively better game.

Barkley said:
TomaTito said:

Sure, but a game that Plays the same and looks/performs better is a better game.

If the Switch was capable of running BOTW in 1080p/60FPS it would be an objectively better game.

I don't disagree with that, hence the quotes. Still, the gameplay mechanics would be the same and just as "fun", you'd only be frustrated by the framerate and its drops (EDIT: others would add textures, graphics, etc).

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

All we know is that more power never hurt games, while less power certainly did.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

What's sad is that outside of prettier graphics most developers aren't trying to push games much further. So you start to get that feeling of been there, done that once the initial appeal of flashy graphics wears off...

Around the Network

Of Course not, more power only means more technically advanced graphic, not better game itself.
We have plenty of Wii/Wii U (now Switch) games that proves that.

Miyamotoo said:
Of Course not, more power only means more technically advanced graphic, not better game.

We have plenty of Wii U games that are successors to Wii and/or Gambecube games that are better thanks to fewer technical limitations. Mario Kart 8, Sm4sh, Pikmin 3 etc.

Nintendo benefits from more power just like any other developer. To claim otherwise is silly.

deskpro2k3 said:

more power lets developers be more ambitious, and gives them more options.

Of course. But I'm asking this... Wouldn't less power push them into more imaginative territory, for instance? I'm seriously wondering if art direction, graphical style and gameplay concepts would be more varied if it wasn't always about being the most true-to-reality.

I often found limitation to be its own form of creative fertile ground. Boldness and ambition is also about taking risks and not following conventions. It isn't always about pushing things to the limit.

Teeqoz said:
Miyamotoo said:
Of Course not, more power only means more technically advanced graphic, not better game.

We have plenty of Wii U games that are successors to Wii and/or Gambecube games that are better thanks to fewer technical limitations. Mario Kart 8, Sm4sh, Pikmin 3 etc.

Nintendo benefits from more power just like any other developer. To claim otherwise is silly.

And we have Wii games like Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade that are better than some Wii U games, Mario 3D World or Xenoblade X. It very obvious that more power does not mean better game, its actually silly to say something like that. Its seems Zelda BotW will be better game than Horizon Zero, despite Zelda BotW is basically Wii U game.

Not necessarily, all power does is give developers more options, it is just a tool. As a whole I do not think the power is put to good use, it seems rare that it is used to offer new gameplay experiences now a days.