By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does more power really mean a better game?

Does a more powerful console mean better games?

Yes 61 25.74%

No 129 54.43%

I am undecided... 7 2.95%

MOAR POWER!!!!! 17 7.17%

I still play on my last gen machine 15 6.33%

The NES classic is the way to go 8 3.38%

Total:237
GoOnKid said:

No, good game design makes good games.

This, pretty much.

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Hynad said:

Yeah, Only this. 

Good luck making a game as deep and complex as Breath of the Wild on the SNES...

2d jrpg  where way better  then what where  getting  right  now.

It seems  you Don't  understand  what makes a game great.

Horizon  looks amazing  now,but in 6 years its graphics will be forgotten, we still  remember  ff6,7,8.9 and the  older games.

Graphics  evolution  is a great thing  but games nowadays  try to push graphics  more then gameplay, story,fun factor,  solid framerate  and a well  made product. 

Except that Horizon has fucking amazing gameplay as well as amazing graphics. The Order: 1886 would have been a better example to use there because that one was mostly all graphics and not much else. Horizon is the full package.

Signature goes here!

Less power would make for better games.
Take away all the luxury and see which great minds, and with it ideas, come to the surface.

Automatically? No.

But i've seen plenty of games that don't push the graphics envelope in any way be mediocre trash. Some of my most favorite games had good or the best graphics for their times.

I think it just depends on the game. A good game idea poorly executed would probably still be a bad game even if the developers had put less resources into graphics.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Siosal said:
Snoopy said:

You're using logic, that is going to be a three day ban. Take him away mods.

I think that the point I was attempting to make was that, "system power" keeps getting shoved down our throats like it is the thing that we want. Sure, power "can allow" but the way some people view it, it's 4k and 120fps or nothing. No mention of whether the game is any good or not, just how good it looks *cough* Crysis *cough*...

The original Crysis was actually a great game, it also held nothing back in terms of graphics as it didn't have to pander to inferior performing hardware... And it ranked at a 91 on Metacritic which isn't a drop in the bucket.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:

Horizon  looks amazing  now,but in 6 years its graphics will be forgotten, we still  remember  ff6,7,8.9 and the  older games.

The thing with Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 is that they actually looked amazing when they were released.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--