By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does more power really mean a better game?

Does a more powerful console mean better games?

Yes 61 25.74%

No 129 54.43%

I am undecided... 7 2.95%

MOAR POWER!!!!! 17 7.17%

I still play on my last gen machine 15 6.33%

The NES classic is the way to go 8 3.38%

Total:237

I think there's some saying out there where powerful tools are only useful when you know how to use them, and that can definitely apply with devs and consoles.

Obviously things like limited frame rate can affect the quality of the final product, but it's more than possible to build a great game around these limitations.

My fav game of all time is Xenoblade Chronicles, which was on the Wii of all platforms.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Profrektius said:
If someone were to create a huge bugdet game that looks like an early PS3 game, but had more depth, customization, destruction, best physics, best AI, insane attention to detail, and insane interactivity, depth of lore, customization, etc. (basically most feature full game ever) it would get torn apart for looking like crap, and most people would ignore it.

Minecraft didn't have that issue.

It also wasn't a triple A game with a 100 million dollar budget, and good luck replicating how Minecraft got popular. It simply would be too big of a risk, and couldn't be advertised with pretty visuals.

Basically in theory more power allows for better games, but in practice all the extra power just goes to increasing the visual fidelity which rarely makes for a better game.

TomaTito said:

In that totally fair scenario you'd pick the best performance. I'm no negating that. But the world isn't fair

Just for reference. I didn't purchase Twilight Princess HD because I already played the Wii version. Just like I'm not going to purchase Mario Kart 8 Deluxe after already playing the original on the WiiU. These remasters are basicly the same games (even though MK8 port improves its battle mode), only change is graphics with some tweaks in gameplay.

But in both example you gave you are talking about games you had already played. 

This isn't about the world being fair or not.

Its that having better hardware that can not only make a game look better and run better but can open up things in game design that would otherwise have been impossible isn't something to just dismiss. Its an indisputable fact.

Better hardware allows for bigger and more varied game worlds too. Better sound design... I could go on and on and on. 

You are talking about remasters, I am talking about the same game on two different hardware released at the same time. Take destiny for instance, the exact same game released across the PS4/XB1/PS3/360 all at the same time. The game was better on the PS4/XB1.

Depends on what that power is used for.

I'm now filled with determination.

In most cases, yes, as it offers more resources, tho in the end the creativity makes the game.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Miyamotoo said:

And we have Wii games like Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade that are better than some Wii U games, Mario 3D World or Xenoblade X. It very obvious that more power does not mean better game, its actually silly to say something like that. Its seems Zelda BotW will be better game than Horizon Zero, despite Zelda BotW is basically Wii U game.

The point I'm trying to make is that better hardware = fewer limitations = more options = more potential for a good game. Potential isn't always fulfilled, so more power doesn't necesarily mean a better game. I don't think I've ever heard anyone make such a claim anyway, so in that sense, the title is weird. But I don't really see a point in discussing further. Power is neither a requirement nor a guarantee for good games, but more power is better.

Stronger hardware have more options for developers, and offcourse that more power is better, but more options for developers is not equal better games.

No but the same game will be better on mote powerful hardware.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

No, but it offers more options for developers and therefore, greater potential

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

No.

Nope, but power has always played a part in moving the industry forward. It's just that now, specs alone aren't necessarily the end all of game development. I think in the future, specs won't mean as much and the industry will focus more on optimization. Sort of like how the Smartphone industry is headed.

All these mid gen consoles are giving me the blues. I miss when companies just put out good tech and let it rest and mature. It just isn't necessary I think.