By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Putting the Switch's price into perspective.

Bandorr said:
zorg1000 said:

Whats that got to do with anything? I wasnt arguing that the Joy-Con is ideal for all games & genres, I was pointing out that Smash Bros was a bad example because it will work fine with a single Joy-Con.

I'm not talking about all games and genres. I'm talking about fighting games.

We don't even know if Smash is coming to the Switch yet.. but we know Street Fighter 2 is.

Can you play Street fighter 2 on a single joycon without a D-Pad?

Plus there is ARMS that sounds like it will be gimped if you only use one Joycon.

"Kamitsu: Can they play without any problems, using only one Joy-Con?  Kosuke Yabuki: Yes. But their available actions might be a little limited. So you should use two Joy-Con when you're looking to get serious… that's how we designed the game."

That is two different Fighting games coming to the switch that can't/shouldn't be played with just one Joycon.

Your entire post is 100% irrelevant to anything I said.

Why are you trying to tell me that the Joy-Con isn't ideal for most fighting games when I have never said otherwise?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Omg, I read the whole damn thread. I don't know how anyone started getting into mentioning crazy statistics about minimum wage and eating out and paying $130 for two people, smash being better on gc controllers. This is a mess.

The simple premise of the op is this: Is the Switch expensive for a Console to be released in 2017, where it is a hybrid console/mobile. The answer is: no, not expensive. It's average. In 10 years we'll look at the price tag of the Switch with no game at $300 dollars, in the midst of a console cycle, while the company Nintendo is competing with itself, and we will say to ourselves, "Eh, seems legit." Because I'm betting that no one is NOW crying about a PS3 with no games in 2006 being $400+.

bonzobanana said:
Aquietguy said:

When was the Wii U pro controller ever the issue?

I bought unlicensed clone copies of the wii u pro controller from aliexpress and they were £8 each at the time including delivery to the uk and identical to the official Nintendo version's. Maybe even the same factory.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-New-Black-Classic-Dual-Analog-Wireless-Bluetooth-Remote-U-Pro-Game-Controller-Gamepad-for-Nintendo/1885733309.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.jHoXhO

The only difference was the lack of the wii u logo. They functioned identically and the same quality.  I've had them a few years with no issues, battery life seems good. Just seem the same. If they are shipped to the uk for £8 they probably only cost a couple of dollars to make. At the time everyone was happy with them. They've stopped selling them now and at the end it looks like they charged more for them possibly as they were running down stock.

Retail price does not equal 80% manufacturing price especially for accessories. It's likely the Switch pro controller is costing sub $10 to make even sub $5 is likely.

Price is what the market will accept not related to manufacturing cost. If people are happy to pay £60 then why sell at £50?

I did as well and have no issues with any of the three I have. Ninendo, Sony, and Microsoft jack up the price of controllers. Nothing new. This still has nothing to do with the level of tech in the joy cons.

zorg1000 said:
Bandorr said:

I'm not talking about all games and genres. I'm talking about fighting games.

We don't even know if Smash is coming to the Switch yet.. but we know Street Fighter 2 is.

Can you play Street fighter 2 on a single joycon without a D-Pad?

Plus there is ARMS that sounds like it will be gimped if you only use one Joycon.

"Kamitsu: Can they play without any problems, using only one Joy-Con?  Kosuke Yabuki: Yes. But their available actions might be a little limited. So you should use two Joy-Con when you're looking to get serious… that's how we designed the game."

That is two different Fighting games coming to the switch that can't/shouldn't be played with just one Joycon.

Why are you trying to tell me that the Joy-Con isn't ideal for most fighting games when I have never said otherwise?

Why are you getting so hung up on someone using the word "nightmare" to descibe a control option they can't stand? Have you considered that what you consider "fine" might be considered "unusable" to others? Some people find controlling a shooter without an inverted Y-axis "fine", while others will consider the game to be unplayable without that option. It's all a matter of personal perference. But hey, why actually refute his points when you can argue against what is at worst a bit of hyperbole?

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Why are you getting so hung up on someone using the word "nightmare" to descibe a control option they can't stand? Have you considered that what you consider "fine" might be considered "unusable" to others? Some people find controlling a shooter without an inverted Y-axis "fine", while others will consider the game to be unplayable without that option. It's all a matter of personal perference. But hey, why actually refute his points when you can argue against what is at worst a bit of hyperbole?

This is getting stupid, how am i the one getting hung up? Bandoor is the one trying to argue with me about something i never claimed.

All i did was point out that Smash Bros was a bad example to the person who said it then Bandoor came in talking about other fighting games, then I admitted that a single Joy-Con may not be ideal for all genres then he continued to talk about fighters.........maybe you should tell him not to get hung up

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
potato_hamster said:

That's easy - they can't. It is dodge, denial, and... another D. Disagree? Defenestration?

I will wait until I can try one in person.  Platformers (like shovel knight) seem really weird without a D-pad. And I have no clue how you can play Street fighter well without a D-pad. And to play ARMS local multiplayer you either need another controller or gimp yourself.

Which wouldn't really be an issue except that the "another controller" cost $70 or $80.

That is three games already that I question how well they will work with the joycons. And that isn't bringing in the problems with the joycons themselves, like if they will go out of sync based on distance or handholding.

That is the wonders of NOT having a switch. I get to wonder and wait to see how well everything works. As opposed to panic and pray that everything works perfectly.

What am i dodging or denying? You are trying to get me to defend a stance i never took.

I literally said it a few posts ago that a single Joy-Con might not be ideal for all games or genres and then you continued to try arguing about fighting games........

Y'all gave me a great idea, a third-party Joy-Con with each single controller having a hidden (maybe a touch surface like PSV's back, maybe gestures) other half set of controls and a hidden way to activate them, giving cheaters the edge when playing with friends splitting a single set of controllers.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JRPGfan said:

Switch is more like:

Nintendo Switch ~299$
Carrying bag ~20$
Screen protecter ~20$
128 GB Micro SD card ~ 45$ (so now you have 32gb+128gb = 160 GB total)
Nintendo Pro Controller ~70$
Zelda Breath of the wild ~60$ (no game comes with the switch)

= 454$

vs PS4 slim with uncharted bundle for 249$.

Switch isnt nearly as cheap as people make it out to be.

Its the size of a tablet, so you ll need a special bag to carry it + games + extra's in.

You ll want to use it as both a portable + homeconsole, you dont want scratches in the screen so you ll get a screen protector.

You ll need more storage than the 32 GB it comes with, so again you ll need a SD card.

You might need a powerbank, to charge your switch if 2.5hours of gameplay on the go, isnt enough for you.

The "dogface" controller isnt for everyone, you might again want a normal controller (without delay issues), so a Pro controller is needed.

There are so many hidden costs to the switch.

I'm not saying that a Switch is a better deal than a PS4... but if you compare it to a home console, accessories for mobile use (carrying bag, screen protector, powerbank) shouldn't be in that comparison.

Or shall we add the costs of a carrying bag for the PS4? https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Polygon-Rook-Travel-Carrying-Case/dp/B00R43K72C/

And don't forget the screen protector for your TV you also take with you additional to your PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Weatherproof-Universal-Protector-Television/dp/B01I966SB6/

But that's nothing compared to the costs of the diesel generator to power PS4 + TV for mobile gaming. Let's take one of the cheaper ones to keep the costs down: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-76533-Generator/dp/B00VFDJGCE/

Also you only "need" a SD-card if you want to buy games digital instead of the retail versions.

This thread has taken a really weird turn

Peh said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Pricing is fine but because there are other consoles already out, people will naturally compare Switch with what's already out.
Why some people complain about the price is because they see other more powerful consoles being sold for cheaper which is kind of right but also a very one dimensional way to look at it.

OP adds a bit of context to the pricing. Either way, Switch is going to be successful.

I agree. People compare mostly the raw power and ignore all the other stuff like display, HD Rumbe, Motion Controls, Accessories and so on.

As they should. I would not use any of those things so why should I have to pay for it? The whole point in a new console are better specs and more power except when it comes to Nintendo. Gimmicks are not worth $299.