By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Putting the Switch's price into perspective.

So the Gamecube was cheaper AND had competitive hardware. So Switch is a step down from the Gamecube. Really puts things into perspective.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

So the Gamecube was cheaper AND had competitive hardware. So Switch is a step down from the Gamecube. Really puts things into perspective.

But it falls flat with its mini disc system.

OT: This was already known since the announcement of the price. But, well... most people live only in the now and don't care about the past and its pricing nor do they care about inflation.

Yes, it is the 4th cheapest console ever released. But, people won't care.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
vivster said:

Better mini disc than mini storage.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Peh said:

I can increase the mini storage up to 2TB. I can't do that with mini disc.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Pricing is fine but because there are other consoles already out, people will naturally compare Switch with what's already out.
Why some people complain about the price is because they see other more powerful consoles being sold for cheaper which is kind of right but also a very one dimensional way to look at it.

OP adds a bit of context to the pricing. Either way, Switch is going to be successful.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
Pricing is fine but because there are other consoles already out, people will naturally compare Switch with what's already out.
Why some people complain about the price is because they see other more powerful consoles being sold for cheaper which is kind of right but also a very one dimensional way to look at it.

OP adds a bit of context to the pricing. Either way, Switch is going to be successful.

I agree. People compare mostly the raw power and ignore all the other stuff like display, HD Rumbe, Motion Controls, Accessories and so on.

The console is not the problem, the accessories are overpriced. PS2 controller in 2001 was $34, inflation adjusted for 2017 $45, Pro Controller is $70. That is quite a difference. Sure there's more tech inside it, so is there in the console and anything else nowadays. For comparison, you can get a wireless keyboard for $20, wireless mouse for $15.

Peh said:
vivster said:

I can increase the mini storage up to 2TB. I can't do that with mini disc.

To be fair, in the time the GC was released you did not need additional storage aside from a few kb of saves, which you were also able to have as much as you want. You could argue that GC should've had internal storage in the first place but where would we be if Nintendo consoles came with everything you need.

The issue with pricing is that... It's competitors are not only more powerful (Xbox One and Playstation 4), but they are cheaper, have larger game library's, give away games with their subscription, cheaper accessories and more... Today.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Peh said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I agree. People compare mostly the raw power and ignore all the other stuff like display, HD Rumbe, Motion Controls, Accessories and so on.

Out what you listed I can only agree with the added cost of a screen.