By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most old games are terrible by todays standards.

LadyJasmine said:
I question this I know a lot of people who still play Starcraft or Age of Empires 2 and other old PC games.

I think people like those old games even with bad graphics as they had better mechanics and were easier to play.

A lot of PC games are just to advanced and likely to graphics intensive for most people to play now.

PC has some great old games that aged very well. The mechanics part really makes people still like some old games. My GF, for example, love Top Gear and some really old racing games, but doesn't like new racing games because the controls are so advanced and complex for her. Actually, I have some hard time to enjoy realistic racing games post-PS2 myself.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Most new games are terrible by today's standards.

Word. 

I have to say, I generally have more fun with retro titles (even ones I haven't played before) than many of the games that have come out of gen 7 and 8. 

This really depends on your definition of "standards" for games. My main criteria for judging a game is whether or not it is fun to play. In terms of tight controls, user interface, multiplayer, and flashy graphics, I always consider the time period that the game was released. It just doesn't make any sense to pan a silent film because "it doesn't have sound" or a black and white film for "lacking color". 

I don't need cutting edge expeiences to have a good time, and nostalgia isn't required to admire a game from another era - just a common sense understanding of reality. Games from the 80s aren't going to feature online multiplayer or support 1080p output. Those things didn't exist yet. 

Also, if the sig wasn't a give-away, I really like retro gaming.     VVV ( see below ) VVV

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I agree with OP.

The problem when you ask this type of question is people choose the very best of the "old games" to compare against todays games. "Old games" are straight up terrible if you take a random sample of old games (PS1 for example) and compare against random sample of PS4/XB1 games.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Profrektius said:
SvennoJ said:

I wonder what games and movies my kids will be nostalgic about, or insist are timeless. Currently for movies that includes Frozen, Wreck-it-Ralph, Lego movie, Despicable Me, Ponyo. Yes, I fed them the timeless Disney classics, they didn't stick.

Same with games, except Worms Armageddon is a winner and I guess Super Mario maker counts as old mario? :/ They did play the older Mario's and ps2 games yet their classics are Lego city undercover, PvZ GW2, Rocket League, Minecraft, Terraria and yay Windwaker.

It's hard to predict. I don't remember what games I liked when I was 7 as there were no video games. The first games I played I remember fondly, yet saying JSW 2 is still a great game today, hmm no. I did enjoy playing it again in a browser yet the magic isn't there anymore. Plus you can simply google the entire map today. I'll never forget the Lazy Jones song though, stuck forever.

Very interesting post. I do think it is down to individual differences, as there are plenty of kids who enjoy classic disney movies just as well. I think it's always interesting trying to get kids to see "classics" of the past, and see how they react to that. Music, movies, cartoons, games, it is really fascinating to get that perspective.

bigtakilla said:

Like what classic games?

The ones you really like. *trollface.jpg*

Cobretti2 said:
The problem is a brand new gamer who has never seen or played old games will also be automatically bias because of technology advancements.

To them the gfx will automatically be shit and they will not enjoy anything else about the game. They will expect it to be a free or very cheap mobile game.

I strongly disagree here. The absolutely insane popularity of games like Minecraft and Terraria among kids shows that it is not about technology but gameplay mechanics.

RolStoppable said:
Most old games were terrible during the time they released in. Fact of the matter is that the majority of games has always been bad. The mediocre and bad games of today are perceived as good by many gamers, but once these gamers get exposed to better graphics, they'll finally realize that they spent their time on terrible games.

This is very true. The pretty presentation giving us the wow factor now, lets us overlook huge flaws in most games.

We decided they aren't allowed to vote anymore, so they don't count. ;)

It depends Rome Total War 1 is way better then Rome Total War 2 as the mechanics are way easier and enjoyable.

Around the Network
Profrektius said:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, just recently released, a game that is heavily inspired by games like Commandos (could even call it a rip-off), but ultimately improves the experience in every single way and makes it a great game by todays standards. Give Commandos and Shadow Tactics to 100 random people who have played neither and 99 of them will tell you that Shaow Tactics is more enjoyable.

I tried Shadow Tactics this weekend and it felt very bland, but it's nice to finally see someone ripping off Commandos.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Most games were never good.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Yep I agree. Especially N64 and ps1 games, even some ps2 era games just look and play bad today. Other games though like RTS games and Point n click still hold up fairly well

LadyJasmine said:
It depends Rome Total War 1 is way better then Rome Total War 2 as the mechanics are way easier and enjoyable.

Oh no I loved Rome total war one and just finished medieval 2, was gonna buy Rome 2 next. 

Basically, everything gets better as time goes by. Devs learn, tastes change, expectations, most importantly, increase. Games are much, much bigger every generation than the gen before. Graphics are better every year. Controls become more and more standardized. That's progress. Games made years ago don't have the benefit of everything we've learned since. So, of course they're not going compete with current games.

Some old games may still be fun for some people. I enjoy playing games from my childhood once in a while. But, I never play them for long. They just aren't as good, generally speaking, as games made today. And that's a good thing. It means gaming is progressing.