By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most old games are terrible by todays standards.

Old Zelda/nintendo games are a prime example

Around the Network

The problem is a brand new gamer who has never seen or played old games will also be automatically bias because of technology advancements.

To them the gfx will automatically be shit and they will not enjoy anything else about the game. They will expect it to be a free or very cheap mobile game.

BraLoD said:
AZWification said:

Super Mario World, among other games, will be amazing no matter what year.

What about 1989?

Dang it, you just had to say something like that!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Profrektius said:

Go back in time to the 80s, give them Horizon Zero Dawn, or GTA V or anything really, and they will s**t their pants and be more amazed than seeing Jesus reincarnated before their own eyes.

Very likely, but that's not really what I was talking about.

SvennoJ said:

I wonder what games and movies my kids will be nostalgic about, or insist are timeless. Currently for movies that includes Frozen, Wreck-it-Ralph, Lego movie, Despicable Me, Ponyo. Yes, I fed them the timeless Disney classics, they didn't stick.

Same with games, except Worms Armageddon is a winner and I guess Super Mario maker counts as old mario? :/ They did play the older Mario's and ps2 games yet their classics are Lego city undercover, PvZ GW2, Rocket League, Minecraft, Terraria and yay Windwaker.

It's hard to predict. I don't remember what games I liked when I was 7 as there were no video games. The first games I played I remember fondly, yet saying JSW 2 is still a great game today, hmm no. I did enjoy playing it again in a browser yet the magic isn't there anymore. Plus you can simply google the entire map today. I'll never forget the Lazy Jones song though, stuck forever.

Very interesting post. I do think it is down to individual differences, as there are plenty of kids who enjoy classic disney movies just as well. I think it's always interesting trying to get kids to see "classics" of the past, and see how they react to that. Music, movies, cartoons, games, it is really fascinating to get that perspective.

bigtakilla said:
Profrektius said:

Everything you say makes sense.

Either way, the point of the thread is about older games mostly being quite bad when compared to todays standards. And that being nostalgia or not, most of those old games would not be anywhere nearly as enjoyable as modern games by someone who hasn't had previous experience with those older games (and so has not accepted the bs that those games had going for them).

And you mentioning Uncharted 4 being generic and boring action game brings up another point I want to mention. Games like Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us will be remembered as amazing games. Many years later they will still be recalled as amazing games of the past, and many people will have nostalgic memories of those games. But by that time, the gameplay mechanics of games will have advanced and the standard has gone up so much that trying to play an outdated game like tLoU or Uncharted 4, will just highlight their generic and boring gameplay and highlight how much games have progressed. This is what is I'm saying about most older games. They are horribly outdated and don't hold up. They were bad already then, but it wasn't as big of a deal and critics could focus on the positive aspects. Now looking back at games of the past, the flaws are too obvious to overlook, and trying to play such games today without the "open mindset" of accepting all the bs, will end up with a not enjoyable experience. Right now we can overlook flaws in games like Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us and call them amazing games. In 20 years, they'll be a tedious slog to play through objectively (not just for some people) due to higher standards everywhere.

Like what classic games?

The ones you really like. *trollface.jpg*

Cobretti2 said:
The problem is a brand new gamer who has never seen or played old games will also be automatically bias because of technology advancements.

To them the gfx will automatically be shit and they will not enjoy anything else about the game. They will expect it to be a free or very cheap mobile game.

I strongly disagree here. The absolutely insane popularity of games like Minecraft and Terraria among kids shows that it is not about technology but gameplay mechanics.

RolStoppable said:
Most old games were terrible during the time they released in. Fact of the matter is that the majority of games has always been bad. The mediocre and bad games of today are perceived as good by many gamers, but once these gamers get exposed to better graphics, they'll finally realize that they spent their time on terrible games.

This is very true. The pretty presentation giving us the wow factor now, lets us overlook huge flaws in most games.

Around the Network

I question this I know a lot of people who still play Starcraft or Age of Empires 2 and other old PC games.

I think people like those old games even with bad graphics as they had better mechanics and were easier to play.

A lot of PC games are just to advanced and likely to graphics intensive for most people to play now.

specialk said:
MarkkyStorm said:

Totally agree with that. Most PS1 games are hard to play (in visual terms) for me. Even some PS2 disturbs me. But the SNES/Mega Drive games have a charm that aged very well. I think the point is: more realistic games tends to age pretty bad.

Do these games bother you because of how they look in general, or how they look when processed by modern HD TVs and blown on a 1080p screen?

How they look in general. I was playing the first Crash today before work and, even being a cartoony-looking game in a small screen, the visuals bothered me too much. But I still enjoy it. Resident Evil 1, otherwise, became unplayable for me after the excellent remake for Game Cube. A couple of months ago, I've played GTA San Andreas and Bully in the old PS2 of my girlfriend in an old TV and the look of it was just disturbing for me. I'm thinking of buying a PS2 to HDMI to see what I think of these old games with a slightly better look in a HD TV.

Honestly, I still love the visuals of Sonic, Bomberman, Donkey Kong Country and others even in modern HD TVs.

LadyJasmine said:
I question this I know a lot of people who still play Starcraft or Age of Empires 2 and other old PC games.

I think people like those old games even with bad graphics as they had better mechanics and were easier to play.

A lot of PC games are just to advanced and likely to graphics intensive for most people to play now.

It's also very comfortable to replay familiar games over and over. Knowing the game inside out and building up a long reportoire with a game is very hard to replace. When I was in my teenage years I played Civilization to death, as well as Dune 2. I modded the original civilization by adjusting the runtime library for endless variation and also wrote a map editor for Dune 2 for the same purpose. Yet are those the best strategy games ever? I never got into civilization's sequels as much as the original, but ask anyone know which is the best version and I doubt the first one would be it.

Same with half-life death match. That can never be replaced for me as we played it for years in office lan network with custom maps, even a home made map of the office we were working in. Online multiplayer can never touch that.

Familiarity is a strong factor that influences what new games people like as well. Familiar settings and control schemes are much easier to get into than new IPs. We're mostly creatures of habit, new things take effort and willingness to step out of our comfort zone. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all about fun, and it took a lot of trial and error to find those few games you're comfortable with. Any new game you try will still be hit and miss, more and more miss as the library of your favorites grows.

It's funny, because I tend to think the opposite.

Most older games are VASTLY superior to the tutorial/corridor laden interactive movies that pass as games these days.. With a few exceptions of course - some open world games, some modern Nintendo games, Minecraft and a sprinkling of some other indies, etc..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Huh. I'm playing mostly old games right now because I'm bored as fuck by today's games. But whatever, that's just me and stuff.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.