By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most old games are terrible by todays standards.

I bought GTA San Andreas on PS4 when it released. Yeah, it's fucking shit.

Around the Network
specialk said:
Profrektius said:

I fail to understand how any of the Twilight Zone talk has any relevance to your point about things you are nostalgic about being good. The reason you can see if the show is good or not is because you don't have nostalgia for it. If you did, your view would be biased. Almsot everyone is nostalgic about some terrible songs/games/cartoons/whatever from their childhood and it has very little to do with quality. Hell, it doesn't even have to be childhood.

My parents and other adults were nostalgic about Twilight Zone. I watched it. It was good. Same with Star Wars. I watched it. It was good. In my experience, the things people get nostalgic over are usually pretty good. Occassionaly you'll get a GoldenEye 007 or a Space Jam. Somethign that was 100% a product of the time and isn't worth revisiting outside of for it's historical conext. These are few and far between though. 

I think the bolded has more to do with the transition from childhood to adulthood than it does the quality of the media in question. 

I'm nostalgic for the TV show Duck Tales but I'd never watch it today because it is a children's show and I'm no longer a child. I wouldn't enjoy it other than for a momentary burst of memories. That doesn't mean it's not a quality show though. My niece and nephew eat it up. 

Just because many people are nostalgic about something good, doesn't mean that things people are nostalgic for are generally good. Why do you think the whole rose tinted glasses expression is always used in conjunction with nostalgia?

Profrektius said:

Just because many people are nostalgic about something good, doesn't mean that things people are nostalgic for are generally good. Why do you think the whole rose tinted glasses expression is always used in conjunction with nostalgia?

The rose tinted glasses thing just refers to someone's tendency to overlook the flaws in something they really like. It's used when talking about nostalgia of course, but people do this with contemporary things all the time. 

I do it myself. I was willing to overlook the fact that Uncharted 4 is a pretty generic and boring action game because it was so beautiful and the story was so good. I was willing to overlook Bloodborne's bad frame pacing and horrendous load times because the experience of playing Bloodborne was worth it.

If something stands the test of time, if people are still talking about it 30 years later, that's a point in its favor, not a point against it. The really bad stuff is generally remembered as really bad. The mediocore stuff tends to get forgotten completely. 

specialk said:
Profrektius said:

The rose tinted glasses thing just refers to someone's tendency to overlook the flaws in something they really like. It's used when talking about nostalgia of course, but people do this with contemporary things all the time. 

I do it myself. I was willing to overlook the fact that Uncharted 4 is a pretty generic and boring action game because it was so beautiful and the story was so good. I was willing to overlook Bloodborne's bad frame pacing and horrendous load times because the experience of playing Bloodborne was worth it.

If something stands the test of time, if people are still talking about it 30 years later, that's a point in its favor, not a point against it. The really bad stuff is generally remembered as really bad. The mediocore stuff tends to get forgotten completely. 

Everything you say makes sense.

Either way, the point of the thread is about older games mostly being quite bad when compared to todays standards. And that being nostalgia or not, most of those old games would not be anywhere nearly as enjoyable as modern games by someone who hasn't had previous experience with those older games (and so has not accepted the bs that those games had going for them).

And you mentioning Uncharted 4 being generic and boring action game brings up another point I want to mention. Games like Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us will be remembered as amazing games. Many years later they will still be recalled as amazing games of the past, and many people will have nostalgic memories of those games. But by that time, the gameplay mechanics of games will have advanced and the standard has gone up so much that trying to play an outdated game like tLoU or Uncharted 4, will just highlight their generic and boring gameplay and highlight how much games have progressed. This is what is I'm saying about most older games. They are horribly outdated and don't hold up. They were bad already then, but it wasn't as big of a deal and critics could focus on the positive aspects. Now looking back at games of the past, the flaws are too obvious to overlook, and trying to play such games today without the "open mindset" of accepting all the bs, will end up with a not enjoyable experience. Right now we can overlook flaws in games like Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us and call them amazing games. In 20 years, they'll be a tedious slog to play through objectively (not just for some people) due to higher standards everywhere.

double post

Around the Network

I wonder what games and movies my kids will be nostalgic about, or insist are timeless. Currently for movies that includes Frozen, Wreck-it-Ralph, Lego movie, Despicable Me, Ponyo. Yes, I fed them the timeless Disney classics, they didn't stick.

Same with games, except Worms Armageddon is a winner and I guess Super Mario maker counts as old mario? :/ They did play the older Mario's and ps2 games yet their classics are Lego city undercover, PvZ GW2, Rocket League, Minecraft, Terraria and yay Windwaker.

It's hard to predict. I don't remember what games I liked when I was 7 as there were no video games. The first games I played I remember fondly, yet saying JSW 2 is still a great game today, hmm no. I did enjoy playing it again in a browser yet the magic isn't there anymore. Plus you can simply google the entire map today. I'll never forget the Lazy Jones song though, stuck forever.

I think some games are timeless...

Profrektius said:
specialk said:

Everything you say makes sense.

Either way, the point of the thread is about older games mostly being quite bad when compared to todays standards. And that being nostalgia or not, most of those old games would not be anywhere nearly as enjoyable as modern games by someone who hasn't had previous experience with those older games (and so has not accepted the bs that those games had going for them).

And you mentioning Uncharted 4 being generic and boring action game brings up another point I want to mention. Games like Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us will be remembered as amazing games. Many years later they will still be recalled as amazing games of the past, and many people will have nostalgic memories of those games. But by that time, the gameplay mechanics of games will have advanced and the standard has gone up so much that trying to play an outdated game like tLoU or Uncharted 4, will just highlight their generic and boring gameplay and highlight how much games have progressed. This is what is I'm saying about most older games. They are horribly outdated and don't hold up. They were bad already then, but it wasn't as big of a deal and critics could focus on the positive aspects. Now looking back at games of the past, the flaws are too obvious to overlook, and trying to play such games today without the "open mindset" of accepting all the bs, will end up with a not enjoyable experience. Right now we can overlook flaws in games like Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us and call them amazing games. In 20 years, they'll be a tedious slog to play through objectively (not just for some people) due to higher standards everywhere.

Like what classic games?

These days I've been playing both Chrono Trigger and Bravely Default and I prefer Chrono Trigger by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar, Bravely Default feels like a slog to play in comparison and it's the more modern game..

An old game design on old hardware at that time was considered amazing no different to todays standards. Playing Mario 64 for the first time on release has blown my mind and no game released post Mario 64 has given me that same experience. Sure playing it today doesn't hold up but all games end up like that after 10 years. Even worse for today since games are so graphic reliant and CGI reliant which will age alot quicker than a good game design and innovation.