By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most old games are terrible by todays standards.

Logged in just to reply.

This does actually apply to most 3D or "realistic" visual games. So most games that try to render humans, real life visuals, or developers that were actually trying to sell their game by its look tend to look very bad.

But that's about it.

The cool thing about older generations is the visuals sucked all around, even for that time. So developers focused on other parts of the game to make great IE optimization, gameplay, sound, story, fun factor etc.

Most old school RPGs are easily replaceable and even tend to show up on today's tablets for perfect handheld gaming.

Platformers (although 3D they are animated) play and look.great for the most part. Few could be exception. But I can easily boot up Jax and Faster (2001) or Mario 64 etc and still have a blast.

Sports games as well have not aged I forgot about those. Sports games look like garbage.

Also.your statement about (if you started gaming this generation) who does that refer to? This generation started in late 2013 (basically 2014) sooo if you are on this site and started then most likely you'd be only 10-12 years old. Most gamers as kids will start playing around 7 or 8. That statement is just ofd. The majority of gamers have been gaming for a while.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network
Profrektius said:
Dravenet7 said:
Now to be fair, most new games are bad by any standard.

Only because anyone who wants to can make a game now. If you look at the big companies, most games are not bad. Infact obsession over scores, such as if this new game got a 9 or "only" 8, or god forbid a 7, shows that most major games are good. The argument just comes down to if they're "just" good, or are they great, or are they amazing.

specialk said:

Things you're nostalgic for absolutely have the benefit of piggy-backing off of the fondness for the time and place in your life that you experienced them, but I think people are more inclined to be nostalgic over things that have genuine quality over things that do not.

I also think it's a mistake to assume that modern advances and conveniences always set the standard for what is or isn't good.

People still watch the Twilight Zone even though a large majority of people were born after the air date of the final episode. I myself was born  almost 30 years after the show aired. The show is dated in many ways. Some of the themes are less relavent today than they were back then. The show is in black and white. Many episodes don't show confidence in the intellect of the viewer and thus explain many concepts over and over again to make sure that we "get it".

I can still watch it though and clearly see the high quality of something that I can't possibly be nostalgic for.

It's the same with video games IMO. If a lot of people are nostalgic for something there is a pretty good chance there's a good reason for it.

I fail to understand how any of the Twilight Zone talk has any relevance to your point about things you are nostalgic about being good. The reason you can see if the show is good or not is because you don't have nostalgia for it. If you did, your view would be biased. Almsot everyone is nostalgic about some terrible songs/games/cartoons/whatever from their childhood and it has very little to do with quality. Hell, it doesn't even have to be childhood.

Not everyone who loves something old. Is soley riding on nostalgia. A person can have a unbias opinion on it. Why can a person who's in there early 20's, now. Love certain NES games. If you can set yourself to when the game was made. Ignore all the advancements, from future games. And other stuff, that got improved, or less annoying. A good game. Is still a good game. I will play Dragonball Z Butoden 2 or 3 (SFC). Over A lot of the current DBZ games. They're still a good 2D fighter.

I can play Tomb Raider 1 and 2, on PS1. With the horrible controls. I ackonlege the horrible controls. And later games did them better. But, I put myself, into the mindset of 1997. And won't bitch. Why does Lara have to have weird jumps. The games are still good.