By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild review thread - 97 on Switch, 96 on Wii U

It's not like I didn't expect this kind of childish reaction from people when Zelda inevitably got a lower score than what is accepted by the fandom, but I kinda hoped that we were past getting angry at reviews.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Never heard of one of those reviewers before and Jims review is simply trash. Just trying to get attention it seems. I couldnt care what there opinion is.

I only follow afew review sites and they all gave it a 10/10. Thats enough for me.

Nintendo Insider gave Zelda a 10/10 haha im not suprised at all.. lucky there not the only ones.

Jim happens to be my most respected critic. I always share the same opinion as him. 

think-man said:
Azzanation said:

Never heard of one of those reviewers before and Jims review is simply trash. Just trying to get attention it seems. I couldnt care what there opinion is.

I only follow afew review sites and they all gave it a 10/10. Thats enough for me.

Nintendo Insider gave Zelda a 10/10 haha im not suprised at all.. lucky there not the only ones.

Jim happens to be my most respected critic. I always share the same opinion as him. 

Oh well. Guess we share different opinions. If you think Zelda is worth the score he gave thats fair enough. I just read his review and it doesnt match up at all. Sounds like the typical "i want to be different" review.

Azzanation said:
think-man said:

Oh well. Guess we share different opinions. If you think Zelda is worth the score he gave thats fair enough. I just read his review and it doesnt match up at all. Sounds like the typical "i want to be different" review.

Yeah. I read the whole thing. It's like he was trying too hard. Like that one critic who gave "Get Out" a terrible review thus ruining its 100% positive rating. Now, it seems like he's enjoying the attention and saying "What? What did I do wrong? I still gave it a good review!"

Most of the reviewers got a free Switch and did not really play the game long enough, which was also impossible given the short timeframe. But they should have delayed the final verdict instead of giving a fake score. If you play only the first 10 or 20 hours you cannot really review the game because you have seen nothing.

My personal preliminary rating after 60 hours, still very far from completing the game, would be a solid 85/100 but not more. After the first 10-20 hours it was more like a 90-95 / 100 but the fun dropped dramatically. BOTW is not part of my Zelda top 5 because it gets boring very quickly and the story is just too weak to keep me playing.

After a while, all shrines, regions, enemies and towers feel the same and the sense of wonder is lost. Most part of the game is wandering through empty landscapes without music, the quality of the game play is not on a AAA level as the developers went for quantity over quality.

I'm even thinking about dropping the game completely and maybe continuing in a few years. The experience was much more enjoyable than Skyrim, which I also dropped after 50 hours because it got boring.

I keep playing games mostly for the story but BOTW does not seem to have a story at all which is a shame because the potential would have been there. The world felt more alive than Xenobade X but is still too empty, especially compared to other open world games.

Hopefully they fix this in the DLC and let you experience a real story, maybe with a playable Zelda.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
So, Jim Sterling's site is actually being DDoS'd because of the Zelda review. The amount of effort some people will go to attack reviews they don't agree with is just baffling at times.

Gotta do something to fight back against absolute corruption. I wouldn't waste my personal time if I had the skills needed to hack him but, more power to the kids. One thing I have learned in this world is that the old "for every action..." thing is true. You can't just do whatever you want and expect there to be zero consequences. That's just not reality.

Have anyone made a "can there be another 98 meta" thread?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Darashiva said:
So, Jim Sterling's site is actually being DDoS'd because of the Zelda review. The amount of effort some people will go to attack reviews they don't agree with is just baffling at times.

Gotta do something to fight back against absolute corruption. I wouldn't waste my personal time if I had the skills needed to hack him but, more power to the kids. One thing I have learned in this world is that the old "for every action..." thing is true. You can't just do whatever you want and expect there to be zero consequences. That's just not reality.

So, Jim Sterling giving Zelda a 7/10 is "absolute corruption". xD

"You can't just do whatever you want and expect there to be zero consequences."

You make it sound like he committed fraud.

Azzanation said:
think-man said:

Well with Zelda i wouldn't know because i haven't played it. I can't say what scores it's worth, but when it comes to critics jims usually the one i turn to because I've found we have similar tastes. 

d21lewis said:
Azzanation said:

Yeah. I read the whole thing. It's like he was trying too hard. Like that one critic who gave "Get Out" a terrible review thus ruining its 100% positive rating. Now, it seems like he's enjoying the attention and saying "What? What did I do wrong? I still gave it a good review!"

Jim does with all his reviews, he always over empathises everything. I likes flashy words and drama.