By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - President Duterte decreased Crime Rate in the Philippines by 13%!

numberwang said:
In the US more than 52,404 people died last year of drug overdose, 4x as many who died by gun homicides (13000 excluding suicides). Even heroin alone kills more Americans than guns. It is by far not just some people smoking a doobie.

Heroin deaths rose 23 percent in one year, to 12,989, slightly higher than the number of gun homicides...
Overall, overdose deaths rose 11 percent last year, to 52,404. Gun deaths, including homicides and suicides, totaled 36,252, up 7 percent.

https://www.statnews.com/2016/12/09/opoid-overdose-deaths-us

No one is arguing that heroin is terrible. What is disputed is the method used to reduce the use of these substances. The best way protect citizens from these substances remains a medical following, psychological help. Drug users in the US see the government as a threat instead of a way out of their problems. Overdoses are far more frequent than in Europe, Canada, Japan or New Zealand, who treat them as victims in need of help, instead of criminals.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

Most of the comments on this thread cause me to have must less faith in humanity. And trust me, it was already close to nonexistent.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Well this thread has gone strange... Anyways, Duterte is an authoritarian prick. As Shadow said, prohibition doesn't work.

numberwang said:
In the US more than 52,404 people died last year of drug overdose, 4x as many who died by gun homicides (13000 excluding suicides). Even heroin alone kills more Americans than guns. It is by far not just some people smoking a doobie.

Heroin deaths rose 23 percent in one year, to 12,989, slightly higher than the number of gun homicides...
Overall, overdose deaths rose 11 percent last year, to 52,404. Gun deaths, including homicides and suicides, totaled 36,252, up 7 percent.

https://www.statnews.com/2016/12/09/opoid-overdose-deaths-us/

88,000 people die from alcohol related deaths a year too, that dwarfs both drug overdoses and guns. 

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

Crime rates fell a great deal under Hitler too. I'm sure crime is also pretty low in North Korea.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
bouzane said:
irstupid said:
Won't be long until you have liberals over there complaining about all the "non-violent" drug offenders in jail. They get released and crime once again goes up.

That's what happened here in America. We had our war on drugs, started by Bill Clinton, and it reduced crime huge from the 90's. Yet now we are thinking that all those people in prison for drug related offenses should be released and also lax on our drug enforcement and crime is once again going up.

I usually don't bother correcting people on this site these days but this one is a whopper. The first thing I have to point out is the fact that the escalation in prohibition that we call the "War on Drugs" began under Nixon, not Clinton. Furthermore, the violent crime rate in America was approximately 400 per 100,000 at the outset of this policy shift in 1971 and approximately 750 per 100,000 in 1991.

Using the campaign in the Philippines to justify America's failed authoritarian drug policies makes about as much sense as using Japan's gun laws and their culture to justify expanding gun control in the United States. There are too many differences between these nations and their situations to make any direct comparisons.

Also, when you Dismiss people who disagree with you as liberal because they correctly assert that non-violent drug offenders should not be in prison makes you look tribal and ignorant. Go ahead and keep stumping for your massive nanny-state, all it does is waste resources, create internal divisions and expand the role of government.

Hint: check the user name.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

irstupid said:
Won't be long until you have liberals over there complaining about all the "non-violent" drug offenders in jail. They get released and crime once again goes up.

That's what happened here in America. We had our war on drugs, started by Bill Clinton, and it reduced crime huge from the 90's. Yet now we are thinking that all those people in prison for drug related offenses should be released and also lax on our drug enforcement and crime is once again going up.

Wow you got your facts totally wrong the war on drugs started long before that it started under the Nixon administration.

Good! We already got other troubles in the country. We don't need these guys to make it worse!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Valdath said:

The fact that the whole western media hates him almost like Trump tells me he's doing a good job.
I hope he keeps purging the country from drug dealers, thieves, rapists, murderers and other filth.

Should he commit suicide then? He said he killed hundreds of people himself.

Didn't he kill, like, half of the population? Is that what people want? Seriously?