By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild getting paid DLC (new hard mode/new dungeons/new story)

Very nice. This is sweet. Not sure when I'll be able to buy my Switch (missed the pre-order window) but I'm really hyped by the console and this game.

More content after the release is just awesome :)

Around the Network
IsawYoshi said:
Sorta stupid to have difficulties as DLC in my opinion. Great to see that the game will have longevity though. Not sure if I'll bite the bullet myself.

Yeah, thats Capcom level practice.

This is kinda shitty, but oh well.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

mZuzek said:
Kai_Mao said:

Smash Bros. announced DLC prior to release and Hyrule Warriors announced preorder bonuses prior to release.

And we also got games like FFXV that also mentioned a season pass (not sure about prior to release though).

We'll see how this all goes out. I mean they recently showed that BoTW has gone gold so they probably decided on DLC a little later on but haven't developed it yet.

While I'm sure some are upset hard mode is not coming till later, this games seems to not be a cake walk in it's standard form anyway. You're already seeing Link getting almost insta-killed by Guardians

Stop being so defensive. I never said anything about other games being fine with announcing DLC prior to release. Hyrule Warriors had bullshit DLC from my point of view. FFXV also had if they announced a season pass before release.

Smash is a whole other thing. The only DLC announced prior to release was Mewtwo, who at the time they never confirmed to be paid DLC, rather only saying it was a bonus for people who bought both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game - and it was for a character that fans were desperately hoping to see in the game, especially after the deceiving Greninja trailer. Fans asked for it, and they got it. Everyone was happy. It wasn't until well after the game's release that they confirmed proper DLC (which then again, was also crappy DLC because of the ludicrous price).

The only game I've ever seen do paid DLC completely right was Mario Kart 8.

I didn't mean to sound defensive. Just pointing out it has happened before. Whether it's right or wrong, it's up to the consumer. Like whether DLC is right or wrong to the consumer. Unfortunately, DLC has been a mixed bag since the concept was introduced back who knows when. Again, we'll see how it goes.

Faelco said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Now that's pure science fiction

You don't have to try so hard.

"Oh my God, someone on the Internet wrote an obvious joke about the company I love, call the police!". Calm down. If we can't joke anymore and all we're allowed to do is seriously insult and bait each other, these forums will become a pain to read (and it's already often pretty painful). Some people are still able to talk lightly about video games, thankfully.

Acevil said:

I highly doubt that, unless gaming costs all rise to that point. 

Actually the worse if you are curious is Asura's Wrath, it had true ending hidden by a paywall dlc. Also harder difficulty behind DLC don't think Nintendo was first at that either.  

Infact I believe Nauthy Dog did it. Didn't you defend naughty dog? In that DLC thread for Naughty Dog?

I didn't post in the Naughty Dog thread mentioned earlier, and they didn't do it. Sorry ;)

EDIT: By the way, Fire Emblem Fates also has its true ending hidden by the Revelations paywall DLC...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/16/5620954/the-last-of-us-dlc-grounded-mode-reclaimed-territories-season-pass Naughty dog did do it, but I think you are being awfully critical of nintendo lately, for things that I never seen you critical of other companies for. 

Don't know if they were the first, but they did. Fire Emblem Fates did do that as well, and I ended up not buying it, still wondering if I should, since conquest was more than good enough for me. 

I know for sure birthright I am not getting since I was never fan of super simple fire emblem. 

Around the Network

The more I look at the content and that it is called an expansion pass, not season pass, we need to stop thinking of it as a season pass or DLC really. But the typical expansion game. You know the thing that computer games used to do. I don't think of BLood and Wine as DLC for Witcher 3, it is an expansion pass imo.

I mean seriously look at the content. A few meaningless chests with probably a steel sword and shield or something that is amazing gear on plateau but as soon as you leave is crap. A trial cave, hard mode, map tool. Again basically nothing worth paying for.

Then finally in holiday a new story/dungeon. That is the expansion. They just give us things throughout the year as early gifts to those that pre-ordered the expansion. It's also the reason you can't purchase anything separate. That's because the holiday story/dungon is the only thing worth paying for.

Now I prefer that those "gifts" be given to everyone, not just those that purchase the expansion.

Acevil said:
Faelco said:

"Oh my God, someone on the Internet wrote an obvious joke about the company I love, call the police!". Calm down. If we can't joke anymore and all we're allowed to do is seriously insult and bait each other, these forums will become a pain to read (and it's already often pretty painful). Some people are still able to talk lightly about video games, thankfully.

I didn't post in the Naughty Dog thread mentioned earlier, and they didn't do it. Sorry ;)

EDIT: By the way, Fire Emblem Fates also has its true ending hidden by the Revelations paywall DLC...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/16/5620954/the-last-of-us-dlc-grounded-mode-reclaimed-territories-season-pass Naughty dog did do it, but I think you are being awfully critical of nintendo lately, for things that I never seen you critical of other companies for. 

Don't know if they were the first, but they did. Fire Emblem Fates did do that as well, and I ended up not buying it, still wondering if I should, since conquest was more than good enough for me. 

I know for sure birthright I am not getting since I was never fan of super simple fire emblem. 

Oh, you're right, they did do it for TLOU. Well, that sucks. We'll see if the "new hard mode" in Zelda is equal to a max difficulty mode or a regular hard mode. We agree about Fates. I didn't even buy Conquest yet, it's the only part I'm interested in and I don't like buying an incomplete story.

I was critical of MS when they did their DRM Xbox One too. I would have been critical of Sony about the $600 PS3 if I was here at the time. If I don't like something, I'll say it. That's the point of a forum. And these forums have been talking about the NX/Switch non-stop for more than a year, really too much IMO, so maybe I look critical because 90% of the forums threads talk about things I don't agree with about the Switch. I don't post that much anyway, and I generally try to be constructive, even when I don't agree with Nintendo fans (I've had quite a few interesting discussions lately), and I won't post "LOL Nintendo is doomed" nonsense either...

Faelco said:
Acevil said:

Oh, you're right, they did do it for TLOU. Well, that sucks. We'll see if the "new hard mode" in Zelda is equal to a max difficulty mode or a regular hard mode. We agree about Fates. I didn't even buy Conquest yet, it's the only part I'm interested in and I don't like buying an incomplete story.

I was critical of MS when they did their DRM Xbox One too. I would have been critical of Sony about the $600 PS3 if I was here at the time. If I don't like something, I'll say it. That's the point of a forum. And these forums have been talking about the NX/Switch non-stop for more than a year, really too much IMO, so maybe I look critical because 90% of the forums threads talk about things I don't agree with about the Switch.

Conquest is a complete game I will say, you should give it a shot. Birthright is also full game. However Fates the third pillar doesn't feel like either. I will say based on what I have seen so far, normal zelda looks like it is hard enough. If anything I imagine this hard mode would just be mirror mode or hero mode. The real meat of this expansion is the winter part. 

RolStoppable said:
Acevil said:

Conquest is a complete game I will say, you should give it a shot. Birthright is also full game. However Fates the third pillar doesn't feel like either. I will say based on what I have seen so far, normal zelda looks like it is hard enough. If anything I imagine this hard mode would just be mirror mode or hero mode. The real meat of this expansion is the winter part. 

I don't get you. You are defending a €20 Zelda expansion that we know little off and at the same time attacking a €20 Fates campaign that is eight optional maps longer than Conquest which you deem worth €40.

I felt satisfied by Conquest, I do not want to replay it to see the middle path is my reasoning. It is like ask me to replay a game for just for neutral ending of said game. Given I might want Revelations later in the year, if I feel an real itch to play something tactical to bind me to the next main fire emblem game. 

Also I won't be getting the $20 Zelda expansion until after winter when i do know what it is. 

Acevil said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't get you. You are defending a €20 Zelda expansion that we know little off and at the same time attacking a €20 Fates campaign that is eight optional maps longer than Conquest which you deem worth €40.

I felt satisfied by Conquest, I do not want to replay it to see the middle path is my reasoning. It is like ask me to replay a game for just for neutral ending of said game. Given I might want Revelations later in the year, if I feel an real itch to play something tactical to bind me to the next main fire emblem game. 

Also I won't be getting the $20 Zelda expansion until after winter when i do know what it is. 

Conquest and Birthright are not exactly something you can compare to 'optional endings' or whatever.

I mean take any bethesda game, like KOTOR or something. People replay those games to play as good or as evil. But in the end the game is essentially the same.

Conquest and Birthright are completely different. They are not just the exact same battles with you on the opposin side.