By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild getting paid DLC (new hard mode/new dungeons/new story)

burninmylight said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Why are people mad that they get to play an additional Zelda story during the holiday?

It finally looks like this will be the most interesting holiday since 2013, at least for me.

$20, that's one hour of work guys... 

I highly doubt most people make $20 USD an hour.

To get pedantic, the US Department of Labor says that the median weekly earnings in 2016 were around $800. That's right at $20 an hour based on a 40 hour work-week. 

So from the US perspective, the $20 an hour assumption isn't unreasonable. 

Around the Network

Mario Kart 8 DLC gave you 50% more game for 25% more money. The Smash DLC was good too. I suspect the additional Zelda content will follow suit.

Now we just need to wait til nintendo adopt day1 patch before everything comes to a full circle

Really not a fan of day 1 DLC

Though this is not really the case, they have delayed this game for 2 years and still don't have all the content out for launch which is annoying

I may end up getting the DLC, though I would have definitely preferred if it was all included right at the start

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Sorta stupid to have difficulties as DLC in my opinion. Great to see that the game will have longevity though. Not sure if I'll bite the bullet myself.

Around the Network

DLC announced even before the release is such a turn-off for me. Well, Nintendo is just following the trend in the industry with this...

I do understand the gripes about Day 1 DLC, but I also understand where the developers are coming from too.

The $60 standard for a new AAA video game hasn't budged in a decade. Meanwhile $60 isn't worth what it used to be and development costs on AAA games are larger than ever.

Despite industry attempts to push for digital distribution, people still want physical media. They want to be able to buy a used game at GameStop for a $5 discount and then sell it back when they're done with it for $25 so that the next person can do it all over again. People can still rent games from GameFly and Redbox and blow through single player campaigns in a weekend for a small fee that the developer sees none of.

DLC not only provides extra revenue, but it makes gamers consider holding on to games that they'd ordinarily sell back.

I'm in favor of strategies like those employed by Resident Evil 7, and now Zelda. I'm in favor of big, AAA single player experiences being profitable because the alternative is multi-player focused, free-to-play with micro-transactions, and "always online" games.

Whatever keeps games like Breath of the Wild and Resident Evil 7 getting made IMO.

Goodnightmoon said:
Faelco said:

Yeah...

The next Zelda game will even cost $100, because it will be sold with another random bombing game like Metroid Prime Federation Force 2, and you won't be able to buy Zelda individually. I'm sure they have a lot of other great ideas like that!

Now that's pure science fiction

You don't have to try so hard.

"Oh my God, someone on the Internet wrote an obvious joke about the company I love, call the police!". Calm down. If we can't joke anymore and all we're allowed to do is seriously insult and bait each other, these forums will become a pain to read (and it's already often pretty painful). Some people are still able to talk lightly about video games, thankfully.

Acevil said:
Faelco said:

Yeah...

The next Zelda game will even cost $100, because it will be sold with another random bombing game like Metroid Prime Federation Force 2, and you won't be able to buy Zelda individually. I'm sure they have a lot of other great ideas like that!

I highly doubt that, unless gaming costs all rise to that point. 

Actually the worse if you are curious is Asura's Wrath, it had true ending hidden by a paywall dlc. Also harder difficulty behind DLC don't think Nintendo was first at that either.  

Infact I believe Nauthy Dog did it. Didn't you defend naughty dog? In that DLC thread for Naughty Dog?

I didn't post in the Naughty Dog thread mentioned earlier, and they didn't do it. Sorry ;)

EDIT: By the way, Fire Emblem Fates also has its true ending hidden by the Revelations paywall DLC...

specialk said:
I do understand the gripes about Day 1 DLC, but I also understand where the developers are coming from too.

The $60 standard for a new AAA video game hasn't budged in a decade. Meanwhile $60 isn't worth what it used to be and development costs on AAA games are larger than ever.

Despite industry attempts to push for digital distribution, people still want physical media. They want to be able to buy a used game at GameStop for a $5 discount and then sell it back when they're done with it for $25 so that the next person can do it all over again. People can still rent games from GameFly and Redbox and blow through single player campaigns in a weekend for a small fee that the developer sees none of.

DLC not only provides extra revenue, but it makes gamers consider holding on to games that they'd ordinarily sell back.

I'm in favor of strategies like those employed by Resident Evil 7, and now Zelda. I'm in favor of big, AAA single player experiences being profitable because the alternative is multi-player focused, free-to-play with micro-transactions, and "always online" games.

Whatever keeps games like Breath of the Wild and Resident Evil 7 getting made IMO.

You know what? You have a point. Good post.

BraLoD said:
Faelco said:

"Oh my God, someone on the Internet wrote an obvious joke about the company I love, call the police!". Calm down. If we can't joke anymore and all we're allowed to do is seriously insult and bait each other, these forums will become a pain to read (and it's already often pretty painful). Some people are still able to talk lightly about video games, thankfully.

Pretty sure we can't do that, tho, lol.
Well, not openly.

Users are criticizing each other non-stop, not always politely ("assholes" was used in another thread), in this thread and others, but the post people are complaining about is a light and obvious joke. It's pretty hard to understand that...