By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch missing XY Feature = Not Buying

My biggest disappointments are prolly the lack of streetpass and miiverse. They're two of the few things that nintendo did it right.

Granted miiverse is slow af, but the community makes it a lot better. It was like going to a discussion page for a game on steam but with a complete absence of (or at least very few) aholes. Quite an amazing achievement actually.

And then there's streetpass, a feature that's already proven to be successful and work really well with the handheld concept.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
No support for licensed surround sound formats like Dolby etc only LPCM 5.1. meaning no surround sound unless you have a fairly new hdmi AV amplifier or support for encoded surround sound on 2 channel output for those with older AV amps

This kindof goes along with the no optical out, but... Why are we harping on Nintendo for not being behind the curve? A decent AVR can be had for <$200. 

Why would you want anything but linear PCM anyhow? Gotta stay pure ;)

EDIT: 

My biggest let downs: No Metroid Prime 4 announced at launch. No F-Zero GCX announced at launch.

Seriously, though. If they announce those two we'll have a new Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, and Splatoon, plus enhanced ports of Mario Kart and Smash within the furt 18 months of the console. This could seriously be Nintendo's best opening year+.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Lol @ some of these "missing features." You're really reaching with some of these..  How about focusing on what Switch DOES have? 

- Nintendo games
- 1080p on TV and 720p on handheld screen
- Emphasis on physical media w/ more durable, quicker load time cards
- Developement pipelines of Nintendo home console, Nintendo portable, as well as Vita and indies
- Cheaper console than competition
- Cheaper online than competition
- Many cheaper games
- ability to play on TV, handheld, or tabletop mode interchangably
- 2 controllers out of the box (two separate joycons)
- HD Rumble
- 3D motion/ gyroscope controls
- Track record of Nintendo hardware durability
- Virtual console (w/ online support!)

[Also I've played Uncharted. Overrated as hell. I don't get it..]

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:

Lol @ some of these "missing features." You're really reaching with some of these..  How about focusing on what Switch DOES have? 

- Nintendo games
- Developement pipelines of Nintendo home console, Nintendo portable, as well as Vita and indies
- Many cheaper games
- HD Rumble

It's supposed to be a joke, because of all the recent threads and complains popping out for every single missing feature.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

No bundled traditional controller
No interesting hardware specifications
No mainline monster hunter
No 3D pokemon game
No interesting exclusives (other then x2)
No competitive price

Overall with the fact that it's specs aren't going to change, i'll need a new mainline exclusive monster hunter game, a 3d pokemon game (with difficulty modes) , X2, and one more interesting exclusive in order to consider it.

Around the Network
Peh said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

- Nintendo games
- Many cheaper games
- HD Rumble

It's supposed to be a joke, because of all the recent threads and complains popping out for every single missing feature.

Ahh, well that explains it lol.. Apparently I'm not too good at pointing out sarcasm/jokes on these boards. That's twice now I've pulled this hehe. Though in to be fair, it's tough to differenciate at times since I've seen some genuinly dumb arguments made on these boards.. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Instead of a list on why not to buy the switch, I would like to see a list that would convince me to buy one.
Currently, I don't see *any* reason to buy a switch.

Yet another downplaying of people's complaints? Where have I seen this before? Oh yea, Nintendo fans before the Wii U launch. And Xbox fans before the XBO's 180.  Just keep it up. The downfall of any company is its fans telling them whatever they do is golden, while ignoring the larger markets complaints.

It's obvious this is a rushed launch, kinda like the Saturn. My question is why, though? Why does Nintendo feel it NEEDS to launch early in the year, when this is most likely going to lead to problems? Sega did it with the Saturn cause they were scared shitless by the PS1. Maybe Nintendo feels threatened by the Scorpio? But, if that's so, that's a poor choice considering they aren't exactly going after the same market. One thing I can think of is they know sales are going to stagnant not too much after launch and they want to cut the price before the holidays, but need to make sure they give ~6 months before they do so. If that's true, I'm not expecting the same rewards that were given to early buyers of the 3DS.

RolStoppable said:
walsufnir said:
Instead of a list on why not to buy the switch, I would like to see a list that would convince me to buy one.
Currently, I don't see *any* reason to buy a switch.

If you buy a Switch, the likelihood that Sony gets kicked off the throne increases.

I might consider buying one then!

No system ever got as few games as the switch to launch, right? The launch (90 % old games-ports & minigames) is terrible, hardly any new games.

And Dragon Quest Heroes on Switch looks like the PS3-Game, not the ps4version. i hope, 2018 coming a switch-upgrade with better hardware and accu.