By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch missing XY Feature = Not Buying

thismeintiel said:

Yet another downplaying of people's complaints? Where have I seen this before? Oh yea, Nintendo fans before the Wii U launch. And Xbox fans before the XBO's 180.  Just keep it up. The downfall of any company is its fans telling them whatever they do is golden, while ignoring the larger markets complaints.

It's obvious this is a rushed launch, kinda like the Saturn. My question is why, though? Why does Nintendo feel it NEEDS to launch early in the year, when this is most likely going to lead to problems? Sega did it with the Saturn cause they were scared shitless by the PS1. Maybe Nintendo feels threatened by the Scorpio? But, if that's so, that's a poor choice considering they aren't exactly going after the same market. One thing I can think of is they know sales are going to stagnant not too much after launch and they want to cut the price before the holidays, but need to make sure they give ~6 months before they do so. If that's true, I'm not expecting the same rewards that were given to early buyers of the 3DS.

The Saturn launch was pushed forward from September to May on incredibly short notice, pissing off a lot of third party developers. They also had stock shortages due to this. Even retailers were surprised by this news, and some of them dropped support of Sega. We've known since September 2016 that the Nintendo Switch will release on the third of March. It's not comparable. 

The Saturn launched for $400 at launch ($450 in Japan even), while the PS3 launched for only $300 (with no pack-in game or memory card though). But still, this greatly affected the sales of the Saturn as in the eyes of the consumers the Saturn was much more expensive. The Switch will "only" cost $300. 

The Saturn was also very hard to program for. From what we've heard so far the Nintendo Switch is incredibly easy to develop games for. 

Also these are the games the Saturn launched with in North-America:

• Clockwork Knight: a 2.5D platformer that didn't really appeal to many people. The Switch will get Shovel Knight somewhere in March and Switch owners will get to play the Specter of Torment campaign before anybody else!
  • Daytona USA: an arcade racer game. It was a decent game, but it only had three tracks if I remember correctly. The Switch will get Fast Racing RMX somewhere in March. That game runs at 1080p and 60 fps, has over 30 tracks and features local and online multiplayer. 
  • Panzer Dragoon: a decent, but short on-rails shooter with a very convoluted plot. 
  • Pebble Beach Golf Links: a generic golf game. 
  • Virtue Fighter: this was packed in with every Saturn. It was an inferior version of the Arcade game and was criticized for its dated graphics and other stuff. 
  • Worldwide Soccer: a generic soccer game, not a sport that is very popular in North-America. 
The Switch might not have a lot of games at launch, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will have a bigger impact than all of these Saturn launch games combined. And the Saturn certainly didn't have any games during its first year that are comparable to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. And who knows how well Arms will do! 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

It doesn´t fry eggs - not buying

Bandorr said:
KazumaKiryu said:

No system ever got as few games as the switch to launch, right? The launch (90 % old games-ports & minigames) is terrible, hardly any new games.

And Dragon Quest Heroes on Switch looks like the PS3-Game, not the ps4version. i hope, 2018 coming a switch-upgrade with better hardware and accu.

The 64 list looks to be a lot worse. Assuming the source is accurate.

Japanese launch: June 23, 1996

U.S. launch: September 29, 1996

European launch: March 1, 1997

And the N64 still had the best launch by far compared to its competitors. This goes to show you what one stellar game at launch can do for a console. The N64's problem wasn't the launch line-up, but the fact that it lost a lot of third party support due to still using cartridges. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

thismeintiel said:

Yet another downplaying of people's complaints? Where have I seen this before? Oh yea, Nintendo fans before the Wii U launch. And Xbox fans before the XBO's 180.  Just keep it up. The downfall of any company is its fans telling them whatever they do is golden, while ignoring the larger markets complaints.

It's obvious this is a rushed launch, kinda like the Saturn. My question is why, though? Why does Nintendo feel it NEEDS to launch early in the year, when this is most likely going to lead to problems? Sega did it with the Saturn cause they were scared shitless by the PS1. Maybe Nintendo feels threatened by the Scorpio? But, if that's so, that's a poor choice considering they aren't exactly going after the same market. One thing I can think of is they know sales are going to stagnant not too much after launch and they want to cut the price before the holidays, but need to make sure they give ~6 months before they do so. If that's true, I'm not expecting the same rewards that were given to early buyers of the 3DS.

It's to help boost their profits before their investors meeting. 

No Waifu coming with the purchase, no buy!

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
thismeintiel said:

The Saturn launch was pushed forward from September to May on incredibly short notice, pissing off a lot of third party developers. They also had stock shortages due to this. Even retailers were surprised by this news, and some of them dropped support of Sega. We've known since September 2016 that the Nintendo Switch will release on the third of March. It's not comparable. 

The Saturn launched for $400 at launch ($450 in Japan even), while the PS3 launched for only $300 (with no pack-in game or memory card though). But still, this greatly affected the sales of the Saturn as in the eyes of the consumers the Saturn was much more expensive. The Switch will "only" cost $300. 

The Saturn was also very hard to program for. From what we've heard so far the Nintendo Switch is incredibly easy to develop games for. 

Also these are the games the Saturn launched with in North-America:

• Clockwork Knight: a 2.5D platformer that didn't really appeal to many people. The Switch will get Shovel Knight somewhere in March and Switch owners will get to play the Specter of Torment campaign before anybody else!
  • Daytona USA: an arcade racer game. It was a decent game, but it only had three tracks if I remember correctly. The Switch will get Fast Racing RMX somewhere in March. That game runs at 1080p and 60 fps, has over 30 tracks and features local and online multiplayer. 
  • Panzer Dragoon: a decent, but short on-rails shooter with a very convoluted plot. 
  • Pebble Beach Golf Links: a generic golf game. 
  • Virtue Fighter: this was packed in with every Saturn. It was an inferior version of the Arcade game and was criticized for its dated graphics and other stuff. 
  • Worldwide Soccer: a generic soccer game, not a sport that is very popular in North-America. 
The Switch might not have a lot of games at launch, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will have a bigger impact than all of these Saturn launch games combined. And the Saturn certainly didn't have any games during its first year that are comparable to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. And who knows how well Arms will do! 

You're only looking at the Saturn portion, while ignoring all the signs that this is a rushed launch.  So many features are not available at launch.  People have joked about paying to be Beta testers for a console before, but the Switch has got to be the closest I have seen to that being true. 

Also, Zelda is not exactly a big hitter for Nintendo.  It's actually one of their weaker franchises, sales-wise, with the top selling game at ~7.6M.  Great sales, no doubt, but that was for the N64 Ocarina of Time.  The average for the franchise, according to VGC, is closer to ~3.3M. 

No actual toaster.