By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch pro controller has no headphones port, disapointing

I use that feature a ton with ps4 because I take it everywhere, also noisy locations and im glad my scorpio will support it to, seems like another misstep from nintendo, offer the features, especially when its an expensive "pro" controller it needs to at least compare to the competition :(

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
So, the controller is $10 more than the DS4 and XBO controllers, yet doesn't feature analog triggers or a headphone jack, one of which was standard last gen and the other a standard this gen? Nintendo truly are price gouging its loyal fanbase with the Switch.

Includes motion controls, HD rumble, built-in amiibo functionality.

As long as Bluetooth works, I'm ok. I only use the headphone jack on the DS4 because my Bluetooth headphones don't work with the PS4 and I seriously don't know why. The headphones are from Sony, for crying out loud and they won't work with a friggin' Sony console! It always says that it doesn't find a profile. It's the only device that won't work with my Bluetooth headphones. Seriously. Can someone explain that shit to me?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

KLXVER said:
What? You get sound trough your controller?

updated? O_o... as in the port actually checked if the headset was 'official' before? thats pretty f*ed
Edit: .. fml.. wrong reply.. i don't even.. too early *continues sipping coffee*

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

I'm not buying one therefore I don't give a fuck. Burn it!

Around the Network

To be honest audio is always behind the times and weak with Nintendo consoles I think.

As far as I understand once docked the headphone socket of the Switch is cut off.

It's likely the Switch doesn't support bluetooth audio devices at least in early firmwares or perhaps never.

It's probably only going to support an unlicensed surround format to save costs so more than likely LPCM 5.1 like the wii u.

If like me you have an older AV amp which only has analogue 5.1, optical and coaxial inputs you only get 2 channel sound from Switch when docked and you won't even get dolby prologic II 5.1 sound encoded in the stereo audio as wii was the last Nintendo console to have that.

The wii u gamepad allowed full tv sound through its headphone port unless it was one of those games that offered additional sounds through the gamepad like Nano assault while playing on the tv.

Also lets not forget that on the wii u many of its 5.1 LPCM soundtracks were poor compared to other formats, missing channels etc.

Not a criticism of the Switch as a portable because you can just plug in some igrado's or other great quality headphones and get amazing sound but docked audio performance for someone like me will be very poor. Inferior to even the Dreamcast that featured a high performance Yamaha arm sound chip which also encoded surround information into the 2 channel output.

To be honest though I bought a wii u knowing audio would be inferior to 360 and ps3 and knowing visually it would be weaker than 360 and ps3 much of the time because I bought shortly after launch and already many games had been analysed by various sites and shown to have lower frame rates and missing detail and for some games like Sonic racing transformed even lower resolution. Some even reported inferior sound to other ports. This is an area where ps3 dominates because of its cell processor ideal for audio processing and fantastic 7.1 support plus lots of space on its bluray disc for high quality soundtracks in multiple formats.

Take Need for Speed Most Wanted on wii u. It has a slightly more consistent frame rate on wii u and some improved textures in a few places that were taken from the pc build on face value it looked a better version but the lack of analogue triggers on wii u gamepad or pro controller, weak sound and reduced players online because I guess of the low performing cpu made the ps3 and 360 versions easily superior for me (not that I had the 360 version but it would have been if I had it). I did also have the Vita version though and that was awesome for a portable format, looks slightly worse of course but still felt great to control.

I guess my point is by not having important features you end up reducing the quality of the game experience so even in the fine detail something like the Vita version still feels and plays better than wii u and likely Switch if it ever got a version of the game (because of lack of analogue triggers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGxy57vX_Q

Let's just pray for bluetooth support.

I have been gaming for over 30 years without one. I'll live.

People play with headphones on their TV?
Well, this thread already existed in some kind of way, kinda seeing all the discussions which were weeks ago being resurrected by single threads, lately.

"In before someone posts a thread that the Pro-Controller doesn't have a front camera = not buying"

Yes, it is convenient to plug in your cable headphones or headset to your controller. So it is convenient to use a Bluetooth headset.

hmpf.. I don't know, need to lighten up my mood in some way....

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

This is unfortunate. I dont own a bluetooth headphone and have no intention of owning one just for the Switch.

Playing TLOU with headphones really enhanced the experience. Was planing the same with Zelda.