By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon: Zero Dawn costs $60 - Is that a fair price?

The fuck? This thread got serious for no good fucking reason, fuck this shit I'm out lol.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
That was an hilarious reading XD. It seems that nowadays everything that isn't open world and lasts a gazillion hours isn't worth full price. I've always found that a weak reasoning.

Weak and quite toxic for the industry, I don't want a scenario where every game has to be just another AAA open world shooter/RPG because that is the only thing that people buys.

Also I simply don't understand how can we value the price of the game going by numbers of hours alone, 8 great memorable hours can be way more worth of your money than 200 "ok" hours easily.

RolStoppable said:
Sprash said:

You remember that? (that was so long ago)

I must have left a big impact on you^^

Troublemakers always leave an impact on me. You also used to cowardly launch attacks on me while avoiding to quote me.

Moving on to the explanation for this thread which a lot of people are in need of, in many cases despite them being aware of the thread I made one day earlier about 1-2-Switch. Here's the first paragraph of that thread:

1-2-Switch is a minigame compilation that retails for $50. If you think that all games should be the same and therefore must be judged the same, that price will definitely stick out as expensive. But that isn't the proper way to evaluate the value of video games, right? If you are open to the idea of variety in video games, you will find the Switch itself to be an amazing piece of hardware. Now how about we apply the same thought process to 1-2-Switch?

Since I know how the VGC community thinks and which kinds of gamers post here, it was easy to predict the answers. A lot of people have an elitist view where anything that doesn't match their personal preferences is bad by default. This is addressed in the above quote that calls out the closeminded perspective of judging all games and even consoles in the same way. In the case of 1-2-Switch, people didn't even know the scope of its content, game modes and options, but none of that would have made a difference anyway, because playing video games with other people is something that most here don't do at all. The VGC community is a highly concentrated sample of people who are into singleplayer games and/or online multiplayer. If someone rushed into the 1-2-Switch thread to make a post along the lines of...

"Of course it's too expensive. How can that even be a question?"

...then that's not something that hurts me. All these people actually did exactly what I wanted and expected them to do.

Since the 1-2-Switch thread was more successful than anticipated, I launched this thread as a sequel. But for this instance I turned the tables and therefore used a game that would create opposite reactions. I've already said in this thread that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild could have been used all the same, but Horizon: Zero Dawn was the better pick because it was guaranteed to have a bigger effect. The original post of this thread points out a few things that Horizon: Zero Dawn doesn't have, but in this instance people are quick to point out that not all games must be the same to defend something they like. Once again, people behaved the way they were expected to do.

So what's to learn from this?

Try to be more openminded for both games and consoles. Try to be more tolerant. Try to appreciate variety instead of condemning it.

Making such requests nicely simply doesn't work. People need to be trolled because that makes the message notably stronger. And if you got played like a fiddle with both of these threads, don't think of yourself as a victim. Your behavior is the one of an aggressor, barging into threads to bash things that don't fall in line with your personal preference, and trying to make everyone who likes other things feel miserable.

Of course I don't believe that people will stop, but I don't want them to stop anyway. As long as these people do their thing, I will be able to do mine with ease.

That is a bit naive don't you think? The people who were actually trolled by this, i.e. hardliners, are not gonna change their mind. If anything they're gonna feel validated that they can play their victim card even harder now that someone is attacking what they like.

I'd say with those people it's better to pretend you're on their side and then make them admit basic truths in a friendly conversation they would never admit if someone from the opposite side approached them. Remember what happened when I suddenly said nice things about Nintendo. Suddenly you could get even rational things out of Nintendo fans that they'd never admit.

Even if you get people to accidentally tell the truth when they're trolled, the circumstances aren't considered valid anymore once they realize it and then they'll claim they just didn't mean it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

That is a bit naive don't you think? The people who were actually trolled by this, i.e. hardliners, are not gonna change their mind. If anything they're gonna feel validated that they can play their victim card even harder now that someone is attacking what they like.

I'd say with those people it's better to pretend you're on their side and then make them admit basic truths in a friendly conversation they would never admit if someone from the opposite side approached them. Remember what happened when I suddenly said nice things about Nintendo. Suddenly you could get even rational things out of Nintendo fans that they'd never admit.

Even if you get people to accidentally tell the truth when they're trolled, the circumstances aren't considered valid anymore once they realize it and then they'll claim they just didn't mean it.

I think you didn't read my closing paragraph, but rather jumped to reply as soon as you saw something that allowed you to play smartass.

Yes. But who's the bigger fool? The one who ignores a tiny paragrph at the end or the one who writes a big paragraph only to completely invalidate it in the next paragraph?

I guess we both learned something today. You that you can't just write conflicting paragraphs and you that you can't be a mod.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

Yes. But who's the bigger fool? The one who ignores a tiny paragrph at the end or the one who writes a big paragraph only to completely invalidate it in the next paragraph?

I guess we both learned something today. You that you can't just write conflicting paragraphs and you that you can't be a mod.

The bigger fool is definitely the person who responds to a portion of a post only to realize that their point was already addressed in the post they quoted.

Also, I don't employ censorship on my profile wall just because I don't like another user or their opinions.

It's called garbage collecting, not censorship. You could say I'm "moderating" my wall. But you wouldn't know about that.

Around the Network

4/10, not your best effort.

Goodnightmoon said:
Volterra_90 said:
That was an hilarious reading XD. It seems that nowadays everything that isn't open world and lasts a gazillion hours isn't worth full price. I've always found that a weak reasoning.

Weak and quite toxic for the industry, I don't want a scenario where every game has to be just another AAA open world shooter/RPG because that is the only thing that people buys.

Also I simply don't understand how can we value the price of the game going by numbers of hours alone, 8 great memorable hours can be way more worth of your money than 200 "ok" hours easily.

Yep, that worries me. If people are only willing to spend money on AAA open-world games, that would be awful for the industry. Thank God, this isn't totally happening yet. 

Tbh, I'd prefer to spend my money in games like Undertale, for example, than in FFXV, which I think it's a weaker game. I spent 5€ in Undertale and 60€ in FFXV. That money was better spent elsewhere imo XD.

Is this a joke?

Volterra_90 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yep, that worries me. If people are only willing to spend money on AAA open-world games, that would be awful for the industry. Thank God, this isn't totally happening yet. 

Tbh, I'd prefer to spend my money in games like Undertale, for example, than in FFXV, which I think it's a weaker game. I spent 5€ in Undertale and 60€ in FFXV. That money was better spent elsewhere imo XD.

Can i join your open world hate club? It's getting ridiculous, everything is open world now.

Valdath said:
Volterra_90 said:

Can i join your open world hate club? It's getting ridiculous, everything is open world now.

Nah, I don't really hate the concept of "open world" games. The Witcher 3 and Xenoblade are good examples of open world nicely done. What I hate is the need of make everything open world when the game doesn't really need it. Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a good example. I also hate that nowadays everything which is not open world must be cheaper, according to some people.