By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tabata: Nope To FFXV On Switch; Would Like To See Android Apps On Switch

invetedlotus123 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You're glad for less games? Great logic. 

Nobody is saying that the handheld games should come at the expense of home console games. 

Most FF games wish they were as good as ALBW. 

FF is a franchise just like any other AAA game, it just doesn`t belong there becasue the series craved a reputation of technological and graphical vanguardism, and this is one of the main selling points of it. Questioning why there`s no main FF on handelheld is the same thing as questioning why  there`s no Call Of Duty, Gears Of War, Assassin`s Creed or pretty much any modern AAA game on handelheld. And understand one thing, FF is a series that sells the most at West, even being a Japanese game, releasing on 3DS or Switch could work maybe for Japan, but would alienate a graphical hungry demographic in western countries. And this is not new, FF has been on this side of the fence since SNES, and it was what made the series great. Imagine if they didn`t pursue that with FF VII, pursuing techonological advancements at the time is what propelled the franchise to status it has now.

You keep saying FF is too good for handhelds, but all I'm seeing is declining critical reception, declining sales, declining relevance in the gaming industry, etc. 

FF's status is kind of a joke nowadays. The best selling game with FF characters is Super Smash Bros 4 lol. 

Metroid Prime 1 & 2 blow any FF game on the PS2 out of the water when it comes to graphics. And yet they still had handheld games that released around the same time that were very well received (Fusion and Zero Mission). You can have both you know. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

If the Switch has 4x A57 cores at 1GHz, that would be quite slow in the Android world where these CPUs run at ~2GHz full speed.

Another game I never expected on Switch.

Ljink96 said:
pastro243 said:

I'm sure most people would agree that FF on switch would do better than on Xbone, the thing is that it's easy for SE to make a port that can sell a million. I'm sure the work needed to port to the Switch and compromises that the developer would have to make to all versions it's what makes them just avoid switch (like they did with Wii for these type of games) 

Yeah, I'm not debating that. It would probably cost more than SE is willing to put out to make a port. I was just saying that in response to a comment about "Nintendo fans wouldn't care if it isn't on switch, it's not a good game anyway" comment. 

Oh, sorry. I agree with you then ;)

Alkibiádēs said:
invetedlotus123 said:

FF is a franchise just like any other AAA game, it just doesn`t belong there becasue the series craved a reputation of technological and graphical vanguardism, and this is one of the main selling points of it. Questioning why there`s no main FF on handelheld is the same thing as questioning why  there`s no Call Of Duty, Gears Of War, Assassin`s Creed or pretty much any modern AAA game on handelheld. And understand one thing, FF is a series that sells the most at West, even being a Japanese game, releasing on 3DS or Switch could work maybe for Japan, but would alienate a graphical hungry demographic in western countries. And this is not new, FF has been on this side of the fence since SNES, and it was what made the series great. Imagine if they didn`t pursue that with FF VII, pursuing techonological advancements at the time is what propelled the franchise to status it has now.

You keep saying FF is too good for handhelds, but all I'm seeing is declining critical reception, declining sales, declining relevance in the gaming industry, etc. 

FF's status is kind of a joke nowadays. The best selling game with FF characters is Super Smash Bros 4 lol. 

Metroid Prime 1 & 2 blow any FF game on the PS2 out of the water when it comes to graphics. And yet they still had handheld games that released around the same time that were very well received (Fusion and Zero Mission). You can have both you know. 

You can say that for most of the characters in that game you know? Are they jokes to you? 

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Zekkyou said:

Even ignoring that FF15's development was far from normal (even for Final Fantasy), comparisons like this are silly. Zelda's home console entries release even slower than Final Fantasy, should we mock Nintendo for also having hundreds of people spending years working on a game that'll be outsold every year by Pokemon? Of course not, because that'd be ridiculously. 

Regardless to how you personally feel, the core home console entries of series like Final Fantasy and Zelda thrive in an environment of scarcity and anticipation. While they don't always make the right choices, pumping them out every year wouldn't make them the next Pokemon or Call of Duty, it'd see their long-term sustainability cut short. Seeing as both series continue to be made, their respective publishers clearly consider the overall process worth it. Nintendo and SE are seemingly unconcerned that neither series compares to the sale of one of the most successful and easily produced IP in the world  

Why ignore the handheld Zelda games? Where are the handheld FF games? The last mainline Zelda game released 3 years ago (that wasn't a remake/remaster). Like I said, Square is shooting themselves in the foot by ignoring the 3DS and now the Switch when it comes to mainline FF games. 

They aren't what drive the overall success of the IP. Zelda has more breathing room on this front than Final Fantasy (its core fanbase existing on the same general brand as the DS/3DS helps considerably), but even Zelda's handheld success is fuelled in large part by the reputation the core home console entries have given the series.

I do agree SE should be more proactive with the Final Fantasy IP on handhelds (though we no doubt disagree in what capacity), but that wasn't my point of dispute. It was using something like Pokemon to dismiss the viability of the development style of Final Fantasy (and by logical extension the core entries of Zelda, GTA, etc) that i take issue with.

To end off, it's worth noting that while SE could handle the Final Fantasy IP much better (and as far as I've seen they have improved considerably since the early 7th gen), it's not like they've been doing nothing but throwing money at FF15 for a decade. Whether ignoring the 3DS has been a mistake or not, the IP still has a strong WW presence. Especially in the last few years, it's been a debate more of success versus hypothetical extra success than sfailure versus success. There are worse places to be :p 

HintHRO said:
I get nothing but Wii vibes from the commercials showing happy people with their motion controls and lack of third party support. They could've named the system Wii U2.

I get more of a 3DS/Vita/Wii U vibe, meaning that it will get franchises and games that Japanese publishers believe willl sell well in the Japanese market but won't get games that depend heavily on the western market to succeed -- at least until Nintendo (or another company) has proven that there's a legit market for western 3rd parties on the Switch.

With a typical Sony/Microsoft console, western 3rd parties know exactly the types of people that are going to buy it and what games they'll enjoy but with the Switch, they are going in blind because they have largely ignored the handheld market (and Nintendo platforms in general since the Wii) so they have no idea how the Switch audience will respond to traditional western 3rd party AAA games.  Japanese 3rd party publishers on the other hand have a good idea what games will sell well on the Switch because it'll practically be the only game in town in Japan when you consider the declining console market over there and the fact that the 3DS and Vita are on their way out.  For them, if the series traditoinally sells well in Japan, it will sell well on the Switch.  It's why I understand why Final Fantasy XV isn't being ported to the Switch because the series now depends a lot more on the western market than the Japanese market to succeed.  SE isn't going to take the risk of investing sizable funds and resources to port FFXV over to a platform when they don't know if the game's target market will be there.  They already got burned with the XB1 version of FFXV doing that considering most of the XB1 userbase just want to play FPS, racing, sports and sandbox games.

Captain_Yuri said:
Zekkyou said:

Having finally gotten the time to mostly finish it, I disagree that it's incomplete. Structurally flawed? Absolutely. The scars of its wonky development are clear, especially with how the narrative is structured. The jump from Chapter 8 to Chapter 9 in particular feels like you're transitioning into to a different game. That aside though, it's got most of what I'd expect. The story is a little shorter than I'd like, but it has a plethora of side quests (200+), a good sized world, bonus games like fishing, chocobo racing, etc, and there's plenty of optional but fully fleshed out content like extra dungeons, the vaults, and the end-game boss.

Don't get me wrong, while I've enjoyed FF15 a lot i think it's got plenty of flaws outside of core structural ones. A lot of the side quests are highly unoriginal, some areas of the map could have done with a bit more fleshing out, and the car gets tedious quickly, but i still don't think the game is incomplete. Preemptively placing the story threads for the future DLC was pretty dumb, but an arguably silly decisions isn't indicative of an incomplete game. Either the DLC doesn't exist and those threads aren't placed, or the DLC is part of the game and something else is cut. The end result is the same; what we have is the culmination of what appears to be around 4 years of proper development, on a game originally announced a decade ago. There's a limit to how much longer SE could keep it from release. While i wish it could have been more, the general consensus appears to be that it's still a pretty good game. Not the decade-hyped masterpiece some of us hoped for, but good none the less. 

You sure took it seriously huh? 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8292630

It would appear i did It's a comment I've seen in earnest a few times, and having recently gotten the time to properly play the game i thought i'd interject my views on the topic.

I wouldn't expect them to have this game working on the switch in such a short time anyways. And rather than have apps on the Switch, I'd much prefer games like Bravely Default or some new ideas.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

"No, it can't run current-gen games... How about mobile titles instead?"

Ouch.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames