By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tabata: Nope To FFXV On Switch; Would Like To See Android Apps On Switch

invetedlotus123 said:

And as I said before in another thread, the best approach for third party on Switch is to make custom experiences for it like they do with 3DS and did with Wii. It`s the best way to please the consumer and to respect the games by no butching them to fit Switch limitations.

Nonsense. There are no limitations for most of those comparably technically weak Japanese games. Nier Automata was co-developed for PC, Nights of Azure, some Atelier game, Tales of Berseria were released on Steam in the past days, Ni No Kuni 2 was recently announced for Steam - just 5 of many examples of Playstation games losing exclusitivity (a fact we rarely see threads about). If Japanese 3rd party developers can bring plenty of their former PS exclusives to Steam, they can port them to (or simultaneously develop them for) Switch as well from now on. You could counter that PC is an even stronger platform than PS4 and Xbox One, but if MGS V can be released on PS3 and X360, most other Japanese games can be ported to Switch.

If Japanese 3rd party want it, they can bring almost all of their current and legacy games to Switch. Most of them, even the best ones like Persona 5, are technically inferior to the top western AAA games like Witcher 3. FFXV might in fact be the (currently) only case of a Japanese game which won't run on Switch (or would need a downgrade to run proerly).

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
oniyide said:

what Ninty fans? There hasnt been a main FF game since SNES that was 1994. That was 23 years. ago. So anyone who really cares at this point has either moved on or been buying PSs to play those games this entire time. Hell 23 years. That means that means their have been more main FF games released on SOny systems than Nintendo, more than twice the amout. Doesnt matter where it started FF and Sony are symbiotic at this point, moreso than it was ever with Nintendo

Of course FF is more associated withi Sony NOW. All I'm saying is the same Nintendo fans that buy Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade etc. would gladly buy a game like this. It'd sell better than it did on Xbox One, that I'm also sure of. Most Nintendo fans I know like JRPGS which is also why most Nintendo fans I know have a Nintendo console (handheld or/and  home) and a Playstation console (handheld and/or home). If it doesn't matter where the platform started, in this case FFVII for Sony, then by your same logic it wouldn't matter that it's on Xbox, which 500K+ units seems to matter just a bit.

I'm sure most people would agree that FF on switch would do better than on Xbone, the thing is that it's easy for SE to make a port that can sell a million. I'm sure the work needed to port to the Switch and compromises that the developer would have to make to all versions it's what makes them just avoid switch (like they did with Wii for these type of games) 

Zekkyou said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Very frontloaded game. Never said they were going to lose money on FF XV anyway. I said they were getting little return on their investment. 

In the time it took Square to make FF XV, Gamefreak released like 8 mainline Pokémon games or something, all of which sold better than FF XV will.

Even ignoring that FF15's development was far from normal (even for Final Fantasy), comparisons like this are silly. Zelda's home console entries release even slower than Final Fantasy, should we mock Nintendo for also having hundreds of people spending years working on a game that'll be outsold every year by Pokemon? Of course not, because that'd be ridiculously. 

Regardless to how you personally feel, the core home console entries of series like Final Fantasy and Zelda thrive in an environment of scarcity and anticipation. While they don't always make the right choices, pumping them out every year wouldn't make them the next Pokemon or Call of Duty, it'd see their long-term sustainability cut short. Seeing as both series continue to be made, their respective publishers clearly consider the overall process worth it. Nintendo and SE are seemingly unconcerned that neither series compares to the sale of one of the most successful and easily produced IP in the world  

Why ignore the handheld Zelda games? Where are the handheld FF games? The last mainline Zelda game released 3 years ago (that wasn't a remake/remaster). Like I said, Square is shooting themselves in the foot by ignoring the 3DS and now the Switch when it comes to mainline FF games. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

okr said:
invetedlotus123 said:

And as I said before in another thread, the best approach for third party on Switch is to make custom experiences for it like they do with 3DS and did with Wii. It`s the best way to please the consumer and to respect the games by no heavy editing them to fit Switch limitations.

Nonsense. There are no limitations for most of those comparably technically weak Japanese games. Nier Automata was co-developed for PC, Nights of Azure, some Atelier game, Tales of Berseria were released on Steam in the past days, Ni No Kuni 2 was recently announced for Steam - just 5 of many examples of Playstation games losing exclusitivity (a fact we rarely see threads about). If Japanese 3rd party developers can bring plenty of their former PS exclusives to Steam, they can port them to (or simultaneously develop them for) Switch as well from now on. You could counter that PC is an even stronger platform than PS4 and Xbox One, but if MGS V can be released on PS3 and X360, most other Japanese games can be ported to Switch.

If Japanese 3rd party want it, they can bring almost all of their current and legacy games to Switch. Most of them, even the best ones like Persona 5, are technically inferior to the top western AAA games like Witcher 3. FFXV might in fact be the (currently) only case of a Japanese game which won't run on Switch (or would need a downgrade to run proerly).

But MGS V was a PS3/X360 project that got ported to next gen, same thing with many cross-gen releases. Less demanding games can be brought to Switch whitout heavy editing them, sure, like DQ XI, but we don`t know about others. Ram is something to consider also. It may be a even bigger constrain than processing power.

deskpro2k3 said:

How many different ways this guy got to ask if it is not coming to Switch?

Its like this..

A: Is that man dead?

B: Yes

A: Was it fatal?

B: Yes, completely..

If he hadn't asked the second question we wouldn't know that the the first answer was specualtion and not fact as evidenced by the second answer. That said I'm sure he's right,  but it is still telling of their mindset that they have just discounted the possibility rather than even test if it is a possibility.  It shows their dismissal of the platform for this type of game.  Truly though it isn't even really fair it isn't like they had a Switch Dev kit when they started this game.

Around the Network
pastro243 said:
Ljink96 said:

Of course FF is more associated withi Sony NOW. All I'm saying is the same Nintendo fans that buy Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade etc. would gladly buy a game like this. It'd sell better than it did on Xbox One, that I'm also sure of. Most Nintendo fans I know like JRPGS which is also why most Nintendo fans I know have a Nintendo console (handheld or/and  home) and a Playstation console (handheld and/or home). If it doesn't matter where the platform started, in this case FFVII for Sony, then by your same logic it wouldn't matter that it's on Xbox, which 500K+ units seems to matter just a bit.

I'm sure most people would agree that FF on switch would do better than on Xbone, the thing is that it's easy for SE to make a port that can sell a million. I'm sure the work needed to port to the Switch and compromises that the developer would have to make to all versions it's what makes them just avoid switch (like they did with Wii for these type of games) 

Yeah, I'm not debating that. It would probably cost more than SE is willing to put out to make a port. I was just saying that in response to a comment about "Nintendo fans wouldn't care if it isn't on switch, it's not a good game anyway" comment. 

leyendax69 said:
Bandorr said:
I'm expecting the "do we need a thread every time a game doesn't come to switch" argument to come up shortly,

And in this case - absolutely. FF15 was on many people wish list.

Perhaps there should be a "mega thread" to group all threads like this though.

I'm waiting for "the game was garbage anyway" comments

There were a few that I saw through the thread but I saw more comments putting words into the Nintendo corners mouths ... like your comment.  This is the second thread where I hear more people bitching about what hasn't even been said yet than people actually saying what the bitchers are expecting.

BMaker11 said:
Ljink96 said:

Nintendo fans would buy this though... FF started on Nintendo after all. They'd buy it over CoD and Mass Effect, I'm sure. It just fits Nintendo's demographic more.

The last time a proper Final Fantasy was on a Nintendo home console was in 1994 on the SNES. 23 years ago. Nintendo's demographic has switched massively, and the only games that sell well on Nintendo are the mainstays (e.g. Super Mario, Zelda, Smash, etc). So, "it started on Nintendo" doesn't hold water. I guarantee you the crowd that plays CoD and Mass Effect would be more likely to play FFXV than the Mario and Zelda crowd. 

Please show me the data you are so sure of ... I'll wait

I've been playing since the Atari days Zelda and FF were my favorite series.  I would say are but I quit playing FF after ix i think it was.  I know I had the first one on the PS2 (team girl power) but i quit playing them after that.  I could be part of just a small sliver of people but I'd buy FF on the switch, hell I went so far as to buy a couple of the shitty Crystal Chronicles games on the GameCube / Wii.

Alkibiádēs said:
Zekkyou said:

Even ignoring that FF15's development was far from normal (even for Final Fantasy), comparisons like this are silly. Zelda's home console entries release even slower than Final Fantasy, should we mock Nintendo for also having hundreds of people spending years working on a game that'll be outsold every year by Pokemon? Of course not, because that'd be ridiculously. 

Regardless to how you personally feel, the core home console entries of series like Final Fantasy and Zelda thrive in an environment of scarcity and anticipation. While they don't always make the right choices, pumping them out every year wouldn't make them the next Pokemon or Call of Duty, it'd see their long-term sustainability cut short. Seeing as both series continue to be made, their respective publishers clearly consider the overall process worth it. Nintendo and SE are seemingly unconcerned that neither series compares to the sale of one of the most successful and easily produced IP in the world  

Why ignore the handheld Zelda games? Where are the handheld FF games? The last mainline Zelda game released 3 years ago (that wasn't a remake/remaster). Like I said, Square is shooting themselves in the foot by ignoring the 3DS and now the Switch when it comes to mainline FF games. 

How is Square ignoring the 3DS? they are probably the biggest third party supporter of the 3DS.

Bravely Default

Bravely Second

Kingdom Hearts 3D

Dragon Quest VII remake

Dragon Quest VIII remake

Dragon Quest Monsters Remake

Dragon Quest Monsters Remake 2

Dragon Quest X stream

Dragon Quest XI

Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3

Dragon Quest Theatrhythm

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call

Final Fantasy Explorers

Heroes of Ruin

Can we please get one big budget home console game? Is that ok sir? or does every game have to have PS2 graphics and only be playable on a 240p screen?

Final Fantasy XV on 3DS would be a worse game with less worldwide sales, so it wouldn't even make business sense.

That is unless you want almost every franchise to become handheld only with just 1 or 2 years of development.

Valdath said:
Alkibiádēs said:

How is Square ignoring the 3DS? they are probably the biggest third party supporter of the 3DS.

Bravely Default

Bravely Second

Kingdom Hearts 3D

Dragon Quest VII remake

Dragon Quest VIII remake

Dragon Quest Monsters Remake

Dragon Quest Monsters Remake 2

Dragon Quest X stream

Dragon Quest XI

Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3

Dragon Quest Theatrhythm

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call

Final Fantasy Explorers

Heroes of Ruin

Can we please get one big budget home console game? Is that ok sir? or does every game have to have PS2 graphics and only be playable on a 240p screen?

Final Fantasy XV on 3DS would be a worse game with less worldwide sales, so it wouldn't even make business sense.

That is unless you want almost every franchise to become handheld only with just 1 or 2 years of development.

Where did I say they ignored the 3DS? Reading comprehension is hard it seems. We're talking about mainline FF games. Where's Final Fantasy's A Link between Worlds?

Since when is the Switch only capable of 240p or PS2 graphics? Cut the BS narrative. Square is a company and should only care about maximising profits and they're certainly not doing that right now.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides