Forums - Politics Discussion - Betsy DeVos confirmed as Education secretary after Pence breaks 50-50 tie.

This is your drained swamp, America. A billionaire GOP donor gets a Cabinet job she's utterly unqualified for.
And her embarrasing incompetence is not even the most scary part. It's that she has actively worked to ruin public schools by taking away government funding from them in order to instead fund private (religious) schools. Which caused the affected public schools to fail badly. This has been her life long ambition.

The Senate on Tuesday confirmed school choice advocate Betsy DeVos as Education secretary by the narrowest of margins, with Vice President Mike Pence breaking a 50-50 tie in a historic vote.

Two Republicans joined Democrats in the unsuccessful effort to derail the nomination of the wealthy Republican donor. The Senate historian said Pence's vote was the first by a vice president to break a tie on a Cabinet nomination.

https://www.apnews.com/53d48c109fd74ff68659e8795e70521e/Senate-set-to-confirm-DeVos-as-education-secretary?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Somehow I can't believe she got confirmed after how much public attention her confirmation hearing got, where her incompetence was put on full display. But that just goes to show how shameless politicians who are bribed by wealthy people or corporations are.

~Edit~
Senator Al Franken lays out some scary facts about DeVos history when it comes to de-funding public schools in favor of private religious schools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXFU56PSI0

Around the Network

Good thing I finished high school last year.

Rip current generation

aikohualda said:

-Snip-

+1 for MTG reference.
Those were the days. =p

Looking forward to the dissolvement of the Department of Education.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Yet another argument I have against getting money out of politics. People buying their way into cabinet positions they are woefully unqualified to hold.

Education is already screwed up. Most schools have cut the Arts programs significantly. I've also heard there have been some schools that have cut a lot of funding for science programs as well. I can only imagine how bad it will get

axumblade said:

Education is already screwed up. Most schools have cut the Arts programs significantly. I've also heard there have been some schools that have cut a lot of funding for science programs as well. I can only imagine how bad it will get

I always love when people complain like this.

"OMG school has been getting shittier and shittier and are ranking and grades have been dropping steadily for years compared to world wide. How dare they put someone new into power that isn't going to do the same thing we have been doing"

I have no idea who this lady is or what she stands for, but how about we let her do something before we cry about the sky falling. I've been hearing for years how our school system is going to shit. Thus doesn't that mean that our prior Education Secretarys have been shit?

edit: also arts programs get cut for lack of funding, not because of some agenda. If you care so much for them, make a donation to the school of your choosing and stipulate it be used for the arts. My colleges call me all the time for donations. High Schools don't, but I guarantee they are not against donations.

At least kids will be safe from grizzly bears.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/e3/63/bc2514c8ecf13eb0a4e06dde94b4-putin-pleased-with-trump-win-does-he-have-sinister-plans-for-the-u-s.jpg

Hunting Season is done...