By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Betsy DeVos confirmed as Education secretary after Pence breaks 50-50 tie.

irstupid said:
axumblade said:

And you know about my donations to anything and about my life? At least I understand DeVos has virtually no association with public schools and only got her position because she donated to the Trump campaign being put anywhere in control of education.

Didn't say you donated or not. Just mentioned poeple can.

The point is, you were complaining about education having been going to shit lately and then complaining about DeVos. As you just said she has no association with public school (I have to take your word, as I said, not following this story) so why are you bashing her already. You shoudl be bashing those that were in charge before that were taking us downards already. Who knows how this DeVos does. Maybe she will be worse, maybe the same, maybe better.

Point is, she is not the same as we have had and thus how can you already be hating her? I'm guessing cause some news program told you to.

American education has been going to sh*t because corporate welfare are put over citizen's and we are all paying for it.

Why spend more than half of our budget on military complex, when we can invest in American minds to better our future?

Around the Network

I'm really concerned about her ideas for defunding public schools in order to force people into private schools. That might be well and good in cities, I really don't know, but what about rural areas?

There is exactly one private school within a reasonable distance of where I live. It's a Christian school that my cousin used to attend--at least, until her mother pulled her out because the "teachers" (they just gave out work-books) turned a blind eye to bullying. Turns out that my cousin was AT LEAST a year behind the curriculum of the public school she transferred into. Keep in mind that we're talking about a poor public school system that is well behind the rich school systems in other parts of the state.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Temporary-Location-Announced-for-DC-Elementary-School-Infested-With-Bed-Bugs-Pests-412832883.html

Temporary Location Announced for DC Elementary School Infested With Bed Bugs, Pests

Best country in the world. Sure...

Do they still try to push creationism as science?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

LMAO

Around the Network
irstupid said:
axumblade said:

Education is already screwed up. Most schools have cut the Arts programs significantly. I've also heard there have been some schools that have cut a lot of funding for science programs as well. I can only imagine how bad it will get

I always love when people complain like this.

"OMG school has been getting shittier and shittier and are ranking and grades have been dropping steadily for years compared to world wide. How dare they put someone new into power that isn't going to do the same thing we have been doing"

I have no idea who this lady is or what she stands for, but how about we let her do something before we cry about the sky falling. I've been hearing for years how our school system is going to shit. Thus doesn't that mean that our prior Education Secretarys have been shit?

edit: also arts programs get cut for lack of funding, not because of some agenda. If you care so much for them, make a donation to the school of your choosing and stipulate it be used for the arts. My colleges call me all the time for donations. High Schools don't, but I guarantee they are not against donations.

she doesnt believe in public education... I can go further than that, but honestly, im to depressed right now.

I'm sure Trump's devoted cult will find a way to defend this pick

Hiku said:

This is your drained swamp, America. A billionaire GOP donor gets a Cabinet job she's utterly unqualified for.
And her embarrasing incompetence is not even the most scary part. It's that she has actively worked to ruin public schools by taking away government funding from them in order to instead fund private (religious) schools. Which caused the affected public schools to fail badly. This has been her life long ambition.

The Senate on Tuesday confirmed school choice advocate Betsy DeVos as Education secretary by the narrowest of margins, with Vice President Mike Pence breaking a 50-50 tie in a historic vote.

Two Republicans joined Democrats in the unsuccessful effort to derail the nomination of the wealthy Republican donor. The Senate historian said Pence's vote was the first by a vice president to break a tie on a Cabinet nomination.

https://www.apnews.com/53d48c109fd74ff68659e8795e70521e/Senate-set-to-confirm-DeVos-as-education-secretary?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Somehow I can't believe she got confirmed after how much public attention her confirmation hearing got, where her incompetence was put on full display. But that just goes to show how shameless politicians who are bribed by wealthy people or corporations are.

Public schools are absolutely garbage in most low income cities in America. The religious schools (and Charter schools in some states) perform better than Public school. How can you posibly be against giving more oportunity for children to get better education? I grew up in Detroit and it became so apparent why it is so hard for people to escape poverty. The biggest problem were the public schools I attended. Kids in every classroom were out of control and the teachers didn't care at all.  This isn't the case for charter schools in inner cities (she advocated for charter schools too). Charter school demand has been on the rise yet their has been fight back against creating more of them.

Democrat leaders seem to be adamently against allowing young kids a chance to escape the broken public school system as of late. They are fighting against DeVos plan for school choice and public education officials have shot down the creation of more charter schools in New York in the past claiming "it doesn't meet our education standards" despite them out perfoming public schools in the same area. We need more charter schools in inner cities! Nothing wrong with religuous schools either since they have proven they know how to teach kids. If the parents are okay with sending kids to a Catholic school then help them do so. If we want to help poor comunities then it starts at education. how many more decades of failing public schools do we need before we try something new?

Goatseye said:

American education has been going to sh*t because corporate welfare are put over citizen's and we are all paying for it.

Why spend more than half of our budget on military complex, when we can invest in American minds to better our future?

From the National Center for Education Statistics:

US spent $11,700 per student on elementary/secondary education. 31% higher OECD average $9,000
US spent $26,600 per student on post-secondary eduction. 79% higher than OECD average of $14,800

That is, the US spends a hell of a lot more on education than the average of all the other developed countries. Maybe money isn't the problem?

axumblade said:

A lot of Americans can't afford private schools. So defunding public schools will just cause more of a divide between the rich and poor. Though that seems to be the theme of this election. 

My understanding of both Trump's and DeVos' position, is that of school vouchers. Look at the numbers I posted above. The national average cost of private schools is around $10,000 per year - somewhat cheaper than the cost per child at public schools. The idea of school vouchers is that parents who are stuck in low-income areas can still send their kids to a good private school through this voucher.

It ultimately saves the taxpayer money (because $10,000 is lower than the average cost), and gives parents in poor areas a chance of a proper education for their child. Let's not shit ourselves here - public schools in urban areas can be highly atrocious. There could not be more of a divide.

Pokoko brings up a good point, vis-a-vis urban/rural. Such a program can be very successful in an urbanized area, where a good private school is only a subway ride away, or whatever. Becomes a whole lot more burdensome in rural areas. The easiest way to handle this is through common sense - vouchers where there's density, and move a portion of the savings to public schools in rural areas.

"Unqualified" is a word we are gonna hear a lot to describe this administration, and rightly so.