By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ever feel amazed at how far games have come?

I've always been amazed right since the ps3 and ds made leaps over their previous gen installments. Some games like Uncharted 4 just take your breath away.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
In terms of technology it's sometimes staggering, yeah.

But I sorta feel that game design has regressed since the fourth, fifth, and six gens. So it's kind of a hollow leap forward for me :-/

Would tend to agree with you there. The technological leaps have been amazing and should be praised. But the marketing strategies, gameplay downgrades, uninspired level design, and overall decreased "fun" level (sometimes) that accompanied these incredible graphical improvements......well, it's a hollow leap for me, too. 

That being said, there are plenty of examples of perfect combinations of graphics and gameplay and I've had some awesome gaming experiences the past couple gens. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

As I played The Witcher III and viewed the landscapes of Beauclair the thought of how far we've come kept popping into my head. Since then I've moved on to Uncharted 4 and am even more amazed than I was with TWIII. I'm anxious to see games when they look better than UC4.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

From a technical perspective I am amazed all the time by games. Especially how polygon based games moved from PS1 to PS4. I still like 16 bit games from an artistic standpoint, and agree games can improve in other areas.

We are coming to an end of graphical arms race the only thing will be left is Story and gameplay.
And we are entering in VR and AR so there is that.
Gaming is entering in a new age and man it's gonna be awesome.

Around the Network

In terms of tech..sure I guess. I just stopped being blown away some time ago esp by games aiming for realism. In other ways I am depressed about modern games. So many ways they actually took several steps back. In cases like the Elder Scrolls series they keep removing things with each new entry and the combat is as awful as ever. I could forgive it in 1996 but not now. I also feel gaming culture has become much more brainwashed and easily tricked. I would rather have games look like 1995 games if it meant having the culture and risk taking/practices the industry was at then.

curl-6 said:
Metroid33slayer said:
Yeah i agree. The biggest leap was the 10 year period from 1995 to 2005 when we went from ps1 and sega saturn graphics to xbox 360, that was a godlike leap in such a relatively short space of time. I mean you went from square headed polygonal characters to a console that produced LA noire.

Mario 64, 1996

Gears of War, 2006

We might never see a jump this big ever again..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

RolStoppable said:
Not really, at least not anymore. When you use Star Fox as an example, it becomes instantly clear to me. No Star Fox game after that had a soundtrack as good.

There was a time when increased processing power led to new types of games. That started to level off in the sixth generation and the next leap was not the PS3 or 360, but the Wii with its motion controls and IR pointer. And now we are at a point where more processing power has become detrimental as games regress to be as vanilla as possible to sell as much as possible. The correct course is to move laterally and create an environment where graphics are not the defining element of game quality, so that game design takes priority.

It's mindboggling that 20 years after the 16-bit era, we still have 16-bit games that constitute the cream of the crop in their respective genres. Those games are supposed to be outdone by better technology, but strangely enough it's only reinforced how good those games were and still are.

Fully agree.

Hell, when I was in primary school, portable games looked like this:

Now, we're on the brink of the release of a portable system that can do this:

The future is now, baby!

It really amazes me how powerful the Switch is for a portable system, I hate when people call the Switch not being as powerful as a PS4 and I'm like if a handheld console is powerful enough for you to compare it to home console in the first place then your statement is invalid because if anything the Switch overpowered for what it actually is. I mean I never believed the Switch was going to be a portable system as I didn't think it was possible to even play Wii U games on something that small.

BraLoD said:
AZWification said:

We might never see a jump this big ever again..

Have you ever seen Sonic hit a spring, bro?

Shit, you got me there.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---