By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 update 4.50 adds PS4 Pro boost mode, improves gameplay without patch

Normchacho said:
REDZONE said:

Well once there is proof then that is great.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

"Please note: user save files are still stored locally on your PS4 HDD. Only games and applications are stored externally."

Thanks.I find it weird we can transfer save files to USB and not the external.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
EricHiggin said:

I've wondered if XB might try and take a somewhat similar approach to this with Scorpio since they are ahead of PS in terms of ext HDD and transfers. PS has always tried to go for the one piece sleek console, but they didn't have that luxury with VR this gen, and they may not have that luxury with storage next gen. Depending on how far the next PS console is away, if they decide sooner than later, I would say this would certainly be a possibility. Also depends on how quick the tech evolves and how fast the price falls, and how much tech PS wants to try and stuff into a PS3 or smaller shell at a reasonable price. As long as transfers didn't have to be done with the controller, and could be done remotely, I would agree this type of idea is the better way to move forward in terms of storage.

Honestly, that would be a brilliant idea for the scorpio. Though I fear it will jut be too expensive to do it right now. 

As it stands, a 250GB NVme m.2 SSD costs $130 and offers read speeds of over 3GB/s. Now sayin bulk MS gets those at around $80/drive..... thats still a lot of money to spend on just 250GB of storage. Especially when $25 could get them as much as 1TB with a normal HDD.

But in another three years, there is no doubt in my mind that we have m.2 drives in the 512GB - 1TB range that costs as little as $60 at retail and even less as OEM suppliers. 

For XB it would be a great way to show superiority over Pro, if they could show super quick loading times for games. Regardless of how many seconds exactly they took to load, it should be so much faster than Pro that XB marketing could have a heyday with it. However, like you said, it most certainly would be quite costly in comparison to a much larger HDD/SSHD drive, and isn't something that is usually marketed to help sell the console to casuals, so it would be all on XB to eat some of the extra cost, and push a new marketing campaign on speed and less wasted time while having better graphics/res to boot.

I would guess that XB would only go this storage route if Scorpio ended up being designed more so like a next gen console and less of an upgrade like Pro. In that case Scorpio would cost more than Pro retail, yet still have to subsidize to some extent, which would make something like an $80 SSD a viable option. I would also have to assume that if Scorpio was designed in this way, that XB would leave out any extra storage whatsoever and leave it up to the gamer to purchase an ext HDD that met their needs, whether it be an official XB HDD or another brand. (They could also have an empty internal slot for a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD that can be purchased and inserted like the PS4 but it seems like XB is staying away from that and keeping things as simple as possible for users). Scorpio may also be an upgrade like Pro, just a slightly bigger jump, which XB may have to turn a blind eye to load times to keep the cost down to be able compete with Pro.

Three years down the road an SSD option will at the very least be affordable like you said, which is what PS clearly has been aiming for, the best console that can be built for an affordable price. With load times only getting longer in the future with current HDD/SSHD tech, there's good reason to believe SSD is a possibility come PS5, and would be most welcome.

REDZONE said:
Normchacho said:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

"Please note: user save files are still stored locally on your PS4 HDD. Only games and applications are stored externally."

Thanks.I find it weird we can transfer save files to USB and not the external.

I think it's because you can run a game off of the external, but you can only backup saved data on a flash drive.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Been watching videos all morning, so many games that were slideshows are now a steady 30fps or 60fps. I'm guessing this might have something to do with the Scorpio offering the same functionality once its out. Definitely going to be replaying Bloodborne now though.

Bandorr said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Wait WHAT?!?

PS4 IS GOING TO SUPPORT EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES? HOW IS THIS NOT ITS OWN THREAD?!? 

"External Hardrive Support Coming To PS4 In Next Firmware Update"

"External Hard Drive Support in Beta on Playstation"

Thread with the most post wins.

Lol mod froze my thread for this one because he said they were too similar- even though they're not and I posted mine first... probably because that mod and this OP are blowing each other is my bet... mod also said it was because I wasn't as nice, go figure?! (Take a joke, buddy!)

Around the Network
Zombie9ers said:
Bandorr said:

Lol mod froze my thread for this one because he said they were too similar- even though they're not and I posted mine first... probably because that mod and this OP are blowing each other is my bet... mod also said it was because I wasn't as nice, go figure?! (Take a joke, buddy!)

Lmao.

Awesome news. I'm wondering if I need my original PS4 at all now.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Zombie9ers said:
Bandorr said:

Your thread was locked as a decision by the mod chat, so several mods coming to that conclusion.  There were three very similar threads with copy and pasted information from the announcement.  Yours was just a link so it was decided that it should not be the one of the three left standing because it was the worst OP.  The other two were similar and this thread had the most posts already so it was decided that this would be the thread for the PS4 update.  

So there ya go, in case you were curious.  

Do WE have thé list of improvements for games ?

For example on Dishonored 2 or Gravity Rush 2 ?

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Torillian said:
Zombie9ers said:

Your thread was locked as a decision by the mod chat, so several mods coming to that conclusion.  There were three very similar threads with copy and pasted information from the announcement.  Yours was just a link so it was decided that it should not be the one of the three left standing because it was the worst OP.  The other two were similar and this thread had the most posts already so it was decided that this would be the thread for the PS4 update.  

So there ya go, in case you were curious.  

Calling bullshit on that one. My thread had more posts  then this one at the time he froze it - and then the mod  posted this:

We had three duplicates for this topic, I'll give this one a lock in favour of this one: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=225561&page=1#.

The reason is because there are a similar number of posts in both threads but the OP in that one is a bit nicer. Sorry!