By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 update 4.50 adds PS4 Pro boost mode, improves gameplay without patch

KBG29 said:

I was having the same thought. Next gen needs a serious increase in RAM, and that will require a serious increase in storage bandwidth. If they did what you are saying, we could get a console with 64GB of RAM (which is the absolute minimum for a generational leap) and quicker load times than we have now. It would be amazing to see what devs could do with a baseline of 64GB of RAM and storage with with a baseline transfer rate around 2GB/s.

I can't wait to see how things play out going forward. As a huge VR fan, I think Sony needs to keep their hardware fresh, and near industry leading levels if they want PSVR to be a major success. This update looks to me, like they are laying the foundation to make the PS4 Platform/OS much, much bigger.

Lol we wouldn't need 64GB of ram for game consoles. Most I see is going up to 16GB of HBM2 ram. Not just for its performance but also because it simplifies how the console is built since the ram and APU will basically kinda be on the same chip/component. Look at it this way, I doubt games will ever need 64GB worth of datat to run whatever it is we are seeing on a screen. Keep in mind that what takes up a LOT of that RAM are textures. If a game relatively required 64GB of ram to run the same way games today require 5GB or RAM, then that game would literally have to be like 400GB in size!!!!!!

I dare say, come next gen, loading screens may very well become a thing of the past. Well, at least none of them would last longer than 6 seconds. And thats if its not done right.

But yh, I like what they are doing with the OS and the updates they seem to be focusing on. As it stands I really can't think of anything else I would want them to do with the OS and thats saying a lot if you remember how it was with the PS3. They have definately come a long way.

EricHiggin said:

I've wondered if XB might try and take a somewhat similar approach to this with Scorpio since they are ahead of PS in terms of ext HDD and transfers. PS has always tried to go for the one piece sleek console, but they didn't have that luxury with VR this gen, and they may not have that luxury with storage next gen. Depending on how far the next PS console is away, if they decide sooner than later, I would say this would certainly be a possibility. Also depends on how quick the tech evolves and how fast the price falls, and how much tech PS wants to try and stuff into a PS3 or smaller shell at a reasonable price. As long as transfers didn't have to be done with the controller, and could be done remotely, I would agree this type of idea is the better way to move forward in terms of storage.

Honestly, that would be a brilliant idea for the scorpio. Though I fear it will jut be too expensive to do it right now. 

As it stands, a 250GB NVme m.2 SSD costs $130 and offers read speeds of over 3GB/s. Now sayin bulk MS gets those at around $80/drive..... thats still a lot of money to spend on just 250GB of storage. Especially when $25 could get them as much as 1TB with a normal HDD.

But in another three years, there is no doubt in my mind that we have m.2 drives in the 512GB - 1TB range that costs as little as $60 at retail and even less as OEM suppliers. 

Around the Network

I think the bigger news is they finally got off of thier backsides and added USB HDD for installs support.

Thats huge and pretty much what people expected from the pro.

Panama said:
Thats huge and pretty much what people expected from the pro.

Yeah, I do wonder if they were expecting it to leak, i.e by not mentioning it in any of the release notes, and considering how much PR there's been, lots of positive news about the Pro for once :D

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Wow cool

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:
Nice just got my beta invite.

Me too!

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I want to now if I can install and run games from the external not just applications.The wording in their statement seems fishy.Anyone who is in the beta please let me know.

REDZONE said:

I want to now if I can install and run games from the external not just applications.The wording in their statement seems fishy.Anyone who is in the beta please let me know.

I can't find the tweet that stated that you will be able to play,instal games and apps from external storage but i can't find it.

Hapuc12 said:
REDZONE said:

I can't find the tweet that stated that you will be able to play,instal games and apps from external storage but i can't find it.

Well once there is proof then that is great.

REDZONE said:

Well once there is proof then that is great.

I just asked someone on GAF and he said 'yes'.

The PS5 Exists.