By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. February bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

3 hours since last update:

HARDWARE

#13 PS4s UC4 Bundle (down 1)
#16 NES (down 2)
#37 NES Eu Version (down 3)
#50 PS4s Infinite Warfare Bundle (up 29)
#56 PS4Pro (down 4)
#57 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (up 4)
#90 XB1s-500gb Minecraft Bundle (up 1)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)**
#05 NiS Breath Of The Wild (down 1)
#07 PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn (down 1)
#09 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (same)
#22 PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn CE (down 2)
#72 XB1 Halo Wars Ultimate Edition (up 6)

PS4:
3 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1:
2 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:
  0 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

Does not affect this month:
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20: **

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
tbone51 said:

Lol true. Sony wont spin it but i think ms pr will xD

Its a home console that has a portable mode. I mean its obvious but people will be people

honestly its not that obvious.

Anyone could legitemately just as easily say its a portable console with a home mode.

When you rally think of it, as a console it has way more things that makes it a portable console than it does that makes it a home console. Its got a screen, battery and the same unit you see the screen on is the same place you insert the games. Doesn't get any more portable than that.

I think what is obvious is that people are moving the posts. A "home" console is a console that cannot function without being connected to a display. A portable console has its own display. The Switch is a portable console that can also be plugged into a TV via the dock. 

Switch  is a hybrid, so both home and handheld console. Someone could deem it portable home console. What you say, is an oversimplification. 

The handheld part has detachable controllers, when you disconnect them, what do you have? Not a handheld console, but a screen/or tablet you could say, this attaches to a dock, screen turns  off when its placed inside the dock, content is streamed on tv via an hdmi and we get a home console, of which the brain is the screen/tablet. The detachable controllers of the screen/tablet connect to a grip  to make the controller of the home console.  You are talking as if switch is like a 3DS, but you can play it on tv with a cable and  a dock.

Anyway, Nintendo calls it a home console first and foremost, so what I'm telling or you're telling doesn't matter! 

Is this just a tablet that links  to a keyboard? It  Is a tablet that when connects to keyboard creates a laptop, with your logic it's still a tablet when its attached to the keyboard, while is obviously like a laptop.

Kerotan said:

The fact the Wii U had a portable mode but was still considered a home consoles vindicates my points. The Switch has a TV mode but likewise should still be considered a portable.  

The ps4 can be played remotely on a phone or vita.  Doesn't make it a portable.  And I don't agree the Switch is the home console evolution.  Do you think the ps5 won't be a 4k power house beast?  Instead do you think they'll go with weaker hardware and make it portable? I doubt it. 

Nintendo considers Switch a home console.

Home console evolution? Not much has evolved from Wii U to Switch so...just home console will do as a definition. What I think about PS4 or PS5 doesn't change what the Switch is, lol.

jason1637 said:
Kerotan said:

The fact the Wii U had a portable mode but was still considered a home consoles vindicates my points. The Switch has a TV mode but likewise should still be considered a portable.  

The ps4 can be played remotely on a phone or vita.  Doesn't make it a portable.  And I don't agree the Switch is the home console evolution.  Do you think the ps5 won't be a 4k power house beast?  Instead do you think they'll go with weaker hardware and make it portable? I doubt it. 

You're the only one that considers the Switch a portable. Most people consider it a console.

Power is nice and all but you people play games not power. The Switch is changing how we play games. Home consoles have always been you come home and play but the Switch you can play anywhere. Also 4K on the PS5 wont be a huge deal because its already happening with some Pro games and later the Scorpio. Theres no point in argueing any further because it seems that you will still think the Switch is a handled regardless. 

I stopped reading after the first sentence.  What a Ludicrous claim to make when clearly people in this very thread and across this site also agree with me. Tons on gaf and various forums do too.  

Just because it can be plugged into a TV doesn't make it a home console.  Just like the fact I can play my ps4 right now off my phone remotely doesn't make it a portable.  (Nintendo haven't reinvented anything with this).  They're simply merging the vita and Vita TV ideas together. 

Intrinsic said:

I consider it to be a portable. 

But indulge me, tell me why you think its a home console and I will tell you why I think its a portable. 

And the power argumnet is irrelevant.... if a PSvita was made in 2017, it would probably be as powerful as the switch. Thats just technology for you.  And power isn't only about resolution. Just look at horizon running on the base PS4 at 1080p and BoTW running on the NS at 900p/720p. Its like comparing games two generations apart. So lets just leave the power argumnet out of this.

So go on, tell me what makes the NS a home console.

2.5 hour battery life clearly indicates to me that it is a home console with a portable mode. In order to get the most out of PSVtia and 3DS you simply need just those, the PSVita and 3DS. Switch in portable mode is not the same as it is in dock mode, in dock mode you get full utilization but with portable mode you get 2.5 hours of portability. Portability is clearly the added feature here, not the dock.

Around the Network

Everyone seemed to have no problem with this:

PS4: 3 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1:
2 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:
  0 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

Should I now remove the Switch from this chart because it's not a home console?

The PS5 Exists. 

The Switch is one SICK HANDHELD!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:

Split personality?

Jranation said:

It's actually quite healthy

A_C_E said:

2.5 hour battery life clearly indicates to me that it is a home console with a portable mode. In order to get the most out of PSVtia and 3DS you simply need just those, the PSVita and 3DS. Switch in portable mode is not the same as it is in dock mode, in dock mode you get full utilization but with portable mode you get 2.5 hours of portability. Portability is clearly the added feature here, not the dock.

So its all about the battery life for you right?

3DS: 3.5-5.5hrs 

Switchh: 2.5-6hrs (according to nintendo)

What "full utilization" do you get with the dock mode? You realize you don't even need the dock to harge the unit right? You literally could use the console for an entire year without ever plugging it into the dock once. And your experice would be no different from someone using it with the dock. Outside of a slightly higher resolution when outputting to TV.