By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. February bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

4 hours since last update:

HARDWARE

#13 PS4s UC4 Bundle (same)
#17 NES (down 1)
#45 PS4s Infinite Warfare Bundle (up 5)
#51 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (up 6)
#56 PS4Pro (same)
#58 NES Eu Version (down 21)
#92 XB1s-500gb Minecraft Bundle (down 2)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)**
#05 NiS Breath Of The Wild (same)
#07 PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn (same)
#10 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (down 1)
#26 PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn CE (down 4)
#73 XB1 Halo Wars Ultimate Edition (down 1)

PS4:
3 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1:
2 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:
  0 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

Does not affect this month:
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20: **

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
jason1637 said:

You're the only one that considers the Switch a portable. Most people consider it a console.

Power is nice and all but you people play games not power. The Switch is changing how we play games. Home consoles have always been you come home and play but the Switch you can play anywhere. Also 4K on the PS5 wont be a huge deal because its already happening with some Pro games and later the Scorpio. Theres no point in argueing any further because it seems that you will still think the Switch is a handled regardless. 

I consider it to be a portable. 

But indulge me, tell me why you think its a home console and I will tell you why I think its a portable. 

And the power argumnet is irrelevant.... if a PSvita was made in 2017, it would probably be as powerful as the switch. Thats just technology for you.  And power isn't only about resolution. Just look at horizon running on the base PS4 at 1080p and BoTW running on the NS at 900p/720p. Its like comparing games two generations apart. So lets just leave the power argumnet out of this.

So go on, tell me what makes the NS a home console.

Well because it has a Pro controller, Nintendo says its a console, and its getting games that have been on Nintendo home consoles. Its a home consoles with a feature that allowes you to be taken on the go. Its what the Wii U should have been. 

As for the Horizon and Zelda comparison Zelda is a more cartoony artstyle while Horizon is a more realistic one. Horizon may look all great and all but it still comes down to the quality of the game. The Zelda team has proven they can produce high quality games while Guerilla Games not so much. 

jason1637 said:

As for the Horizon and Zelda comparison Zelda is a more cartoony artstyle while Horizon is a more realistic one. Horizon may look all great and all but it still comes down to the quality of the game. The Zelda team has proven they can produce high quality games while Guerilla Games not so much. 

So are you suggestting that if nintendo were to make a "realistic" styled game like horizon it would look similar? Cause my point wasn't about art direction it was to point out that one hardware is quite literally a generation ahead of the other. 

And the bolded part.... not gonna get into that when actaully talking about what a console is. I tend to avoid discussions where anything outside how a game looks is being compared. "high quality games" is a very subjective matter.

A_C_E said:

Not all about battery life just pointing out that its quite clear that portability for 2.5 hours isn't enough to justify portability as anything more than a temporary convenience factor.

Slightly higher resolution? 33% higher resolution, twice the framerate, MUCH bigger screen (unless you have a TV from the 70's) just more utilization overall.

Errr... its kinda hard to discuss constructively when you say things like that. So you are basically saying the NS in docked mode offers DOUBLE the FRAMERATE? Ok.

And about the resolution...... so you are basically saying the higher resolution when used in docked mode amoiunts to what you call full utilization? Anyways its all good. I hear you.

Intrinsic said:
jason1637 said:

So are you suggestting that if nintendo were to make a "realistic" styled game like horizon it would look similar? Cause my point wasn't about art direction it was to point out that one hardware is quite literally a generation ahead of the other. 

And the bolded part.... not gonna get into that when actaully talking about what a console is. I tend to avoid discussions where anything outside how a game looks is being compared. "high quality games" is a very subjective matter.

Well i dont know tbh. The hardware isnt as powerful for those graphics and Nintendo sually dont make realistic games so i doubt it. Also the Sitch is definitly not a gen away because compared to the power of 7th gen consoles the Switch is way more power wise its a dumbed down xb1.

Around the Network

3 hours since last update:

HARDWARE

#13 PS4s UC4 Bundle (same)
#17 NES (same)
#49 PS4Pro (up 7)
#55 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (down 4)
#58 PS4s Infinite Warfare Bundle (down 13)
#61 NES Eu Version (down 3)
#98 XB1s-500gb Minecraft Bundle (down 6)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)**
#05 NiS Breath Of The Wild (same)
#07 PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn (same)
#10 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (same)
#26 PS4 Horizon Zero Dawn CE (same)
#66 XB1 Halo Wars Ultimate Edition (up 7)

PS4:
3 in the top 100 / 2 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1:
2 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NIS:
  0 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

Does not affect this month:
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20: **

The PS5 Exists. 

jason1637 said:

Well i dont know tbh. The hardware isnt as powerful for those graphics and Nintendo sually dont make realistic games so i doubt it. Also the Sitch is definitly not a gen away because compared to the power of 7th gen consoles the Switch is way more power wise its a dumbed down xb1.

Unless I am mistaken, the NS is not as powerful as the wiiU undocked. And in its docked mode its a little more powerful. In its docked mode its around 500GF, even if we say its 600GF thats still not close to where the XB1 is when you also consider things like memory bandwidth and amount of memory too. I say its a gen behind because it simply lacks the power to run the versions of the current gen games. Or at least a majority of them. At least thats what i think, I could be mistaken though.

But what do I know. As for if it can make game look like horizon...etc. No, it can't. ANd I don't thinkits a coincidence that nintendo always goes for the artsy cartoonish style in their games. Its easier to hide however its lacking in the technical front. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with this. An artstyle is just that, and artstyle.

Nobody wants that IW bundle on Amazon lmao

Intrinsic said:
jason1637 said:

Unless I am mistaken, the NS is not as powerful as the wiiU undocked. And in its docked mode its a little more powerful. In its docked mode its around 500GF, even if we say its 600GF thats still not close to where the XB1 is when you also consider things like memory bandwidth and amount of memory too. I say its a gen behind because it simply lacks the power to run the versions of the current gen games. Or at least a majority of them. At least thats what i think, I could be mistaken though.

But what do I know. As for if it can make game look like horizon...etc. No, it can't. ANd I don't thinkits a coincidence that nintendo always goes for the artsy cartoonish style in their games. Its easier to hide however its lacking in the technical front. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with this. An artstyle is just that, and artstyle.

The Eurogamer leak concerning the power of the Switch is on shaky ground because of what we have seen from it so far indicating that it is a beefed up Wii U out of the dock, not a weaker Wii U out of the dock.  If the stats were as they say, Zelda should look and run worse out of the dock than the Wii U in the dock but every single report points in the opposite direction: it runs better and many say it even looks a bit better on the undocked Switch than on the Wii U.  

If we assume the Foxconn leak, which accurately predicted to a T many things you would have to be the luckiest man in the history of all existence to guess even half of them right, then it is actually a very marked improvement over the Wii U in the dock and a modest boost to the Wii U out of the dock.  

Edit: as for the whole home console vs handheld debate, I've said this before but I will repeat myself:  the Switch is somewhere in the middle, but leans more towards home console due to numerous design decisisions that directly and purposefully violate handheld design principles for the sake of bringing in home console features.  In other words, it sacrifices being a good handheld in order to have the feature set to be a console.  It is function, not form factor, that should define things that fall in the middle like this.  And the Switch's functionality points to a hybrid that leans more towards home console than handheld despite having elements of both.

Nuvendil said:

The Eurogamer leak concerning the power of the Switch is on shaky ground because of what we have seen from it so far indicating that it is a beefed up Wii U out of the dock, not a weaker Wii U out of the dock.  If the stats were as they say, Zelda should look and run worse out of the dock than the Wii U in the dock but every single report points in the opposite direction: it runs better and many say it even looks a bit better on the undocked Switch than on the Wii U.  

If we assume the Foxconn leak, which accurately predicted to a T many things you would have to be the luckiest man in the history of all existence to guess even half of them right, then it is actually a very marked improvement over the Wii U in the dock and a modest boost to the Wii U out of the dock.

As for all the power talk in relation to the NS. The simple truth is that we don't know. I don't believe any of what I have heard and the truth may end up being somewhere in the middle. But in time we will find out though... in just a few more weeks or so. 

Edit: as for the whole home console vs handheld debate, I've said this before but I will repeat myself:  the Switch is somewhere in the middle, but leans more towards home console due to numerous design decisisions that directly and purposefully violate handheld design principles for the sake of bringing in home console features.  In other words, it sacrifices being a good handheld in order to have the feature set to be a console.  It is function, not form factor, that should define things that fall in the middle like this.  And the Switch's functionality points to a hybrid that leans more towards home console than handheld despite having elements of both.

Now all you said here.... I could just as easily say the switch sacrificed being a good home console in order to be a handheld.  this part...

"but leans more towards home console due to numerous design decisisions that directly and purposefully violate handheld design principles for the sake of bringing in home console features."

What design decisions does it sacrifice to be a home console? Or what does it violate as far as handhld design goes? I don't know, but looking at the switch I can't think of a single thing that it sacrificed that prevents it from being a good handheld console but can think of at least 4 things that it sacrificed that prevents it from being a good home console. Like literally everything about how the switchwas designed screams portable. The ONLY thing that makes it a home console is that it comes bundled with  dock and grops for the otherwise portable controller. But indulge me, point out these design decisions they made that makes it violate handheld design.

And pls understand, I have no qualms with it being described as both. I just feel saying both isn't actually what it is, it just can be used as both. But its definately something. As I have said, a laptop isn't suddenly a desktop PC because you can keep it on a desk and plug it to an external monitor. 

You can PM me a response... or take this discussion to my own thread on this matter. lets not derail the amazon thread any further.