By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn - Official SCREENSHOTS Thread.

NEW POLL. What do you think of Horizon Zero dawn so far?

I love it, it's brilliant. 308 71.13%

It's good, above average. 38 8.78%

Eh, mediocre. 16 3.70%

it's bad. below average. 3 0.69%

It's terrible, so disopointed. 5 1.15%

Yet to tell/no opinion/don't own it. ..... 63 14.55%

Total:433
John2290 said:
Poojipoo said:
Woah, neat. When he was changing the time of day, the direction the light was hitting the clouds actually changed... That's actually pretty impressive, not something you usually see in games. I wonder how they're rendering those clouds?

Poojippoo? Are you new? ....to games? It is epic tech alright that we get a day night cycle in the photo mode but I'm feeling like I wann

Day/night cycle isn't anything new (still neat in photo mode), but I'm specifically talking about the clouds. Often times clouds in games are pretty basic, sometimes just straight up photos they slap on a sky map and cheat it when the time of day changes, but these clouds actually at least have the appearance of volume, soft light and shadow changing based on the sun's position, and even having a "halo" effect when the sun is behind them. There's a number of ways they could be achieving this effect, but it is impressive and some nice attention to detail. 

Around the Network

Looks really beautiful.

This game needs to come out like NOW!

Signature goes here!

BraLoD said:
Fei-Hung said:

I heard they've added a secret ending to LoD where you fight this Brazilian half man half cat boss. The final secret boss literally stops you from finishing the game and traps the player in an infinity loop so you have to play the game forever. 

You can actually finish the Brazilian Cat Dragoon fight, you just have to wait until LoD 2 comes to be able to do it, tho, you need an item that you can only get there, and pass it from the PS4 to the Pocket Station and use on your PS1, that item makes him friendly and he beats both Faust and Melbu from 11000 years ago with a timespace bending addition and goes home. The item is a LoD 2 copy, btw, he gets happy and go home play it, that's all he ever wanted to begin with.

Oh god, I've triggered him. I aplogise to everyone. 

So many games to buy this year. Looking forward to this and Nier. My hack n slash cravings are at tipping point. 

Alkibiádēs said:
EricHiggin said:

COD is a horrible example btw. Its art style is not childish at all, but if COD is your example then what about GTA?  Lots of kids play that too. Should they? How young is acceptable?

Who is playing the game has nothing to do with how mature the game is. What the game is in itself, defines its maturity. I never said Zelda was only for kids, I just said it looks less mature than Horizon. Zelda is fantastic don't get me wrong. I'm just saying Horizon reminds me of a more mature version of Zelda. Not better or worse.

Who considers GTA to be a mature game? It's super childish. 

Yeah, cause a game where you can get a lap dance is definitely childish..

Around the Network
solidpumar said:
Photos and static images for this game look great. But every youtube video I see, seems like the framerate and resolution is bad. Images just don't seem crisp somehow. Hope playing live will be good on a big tv. Anyone know resolution?

The bolded part, tahts your problem. Youtube compression is a bitch.

That aside, this thread went to hell super quick......

John2290 said:
EricHiggin said:

Everything about Horizon looks to be more mature than Zelda. Just like how NIN made that realistic looking Zelda with the spider years ago for GC or Wii, that they never followed through with. How do they not play alike? Quests and side quests (dungeons), foraging for materials (food), theres many similarities. Maybe in Japan they feel Zelda is more mature than Horizon, but worldwide I think most would see things the other way.

No point in comparing it to Zelda. No point at all. Not even close to the same genre besides the openworld factor.

I was never trying to compare the two. I just said Horizon reminds me of Zelda BOTW, just a more mature approach and they wanted an explanation as to why, so I gave them a few reasons. While I guess its kind of hard to say how close they really are until we can actually fully play both, based on what I've seen and read, they definitely have their differences as well. I guess the better way to put it, is that Horizon reminds me of Zelda BOTW like some people remind me of celebrities. Mostly based on their looks or voice but thats about it. Everyone is their own person just like every game is its own entity.

monocle_layton said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Who considers GTA to be a mature game? It's super childish. 

It certainly isn't mature. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
monocle_layton said:

It's an adult game. Consider yourself the autority on maturity all you want, but this doesn't change that Zelda compared to GTA is like Disney compared to Scarface.

Horizon looks to be more adult in its theme, presentation, and by the way it grounds its world in realism. Zelda has always been more like a faity tale kind of thing, and has barely ever pushed adult/mature themes, be it through its presentation, execution, storytelling, psychology of its characters, etc. Zelda games are made to be accessible for the entire family, and the end result has always reflected that. 

In no way does Zelda not being an adult/mature game equals to it being an inferior experience. So I suggest you leave the defensive behaviour behind.

Hynad said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It's an adult game. Consider yourself the autority on maturity all you want, but this doesn't change that Zelda compared to GTA is like Disney compared to Scarface.

Horizon looks to be more adult in its theme, presentation, and by the way it grounds its world in realism. Zelda has always been more like a faity tale kind of thing, and has barely ever pushed adult/mature themes, be it through its presentation, execution, storytelling, psychology of its characters, etc. Zelda games are made to be accessible for the entire family, and the end result has always reflected that. 

In no way does Zelda not being an adult/mature game equals to it being an inferior experience. So I suggest you leave the defensive behaviour behind.

Adult content is not the same as mature. GTA is a game that excited me as a little kid, now not so much... Do you honestly think robot dinosaurs are a mature theme? Have you ever played Majora's Mask? If you visit the Swordsman in the final hour of the game, for example, you'll see him cowering in fear in a secret backroom. Or the Ganondorf execution cutscene in Twilight Princess. Or the segment where Midna is dying and you have to save her, the accompying music creates a powerful emotional setting. 

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes has a Teen rating, but I would consider it a much darker and deeper experience than any GTA game I've played. And certainly a lot more mature. 

Fairy tales are infamous for their dark and twisted stories by the way... Just saying. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides