By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn - Official SCREENSHOTS Thread.

NEW POLL. What do you think of Horizon Zero dawn so far?

I love it, it's brilliant. 308 71.13%

It's good, above average. 38 8.78%

Eh, mediocre. 16 3.70%

it's bad. below average. 3 0.69%

It's terrible, so disopointed. 5 1.15%

Yet to tell/no opinion/don't own it. ..... 63 14.55%

Total:433
KazumaKiryu said:
EricHiggin said:

wooooah, really awesome!

The winter atmosphere is really great in that pic. Guerrilla did a good job capturing a variety of winter conditions. Plus the Tallnecks are quite photogenic.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

While I get your enthusiasm, I have to disagree. For one, features of Uncharted 4 stand toe-to-toe with it (especially character models). Next, the other games you mentioned all have aspects that exceed Horizon in a way that will ensure they won’t look dated anytime before it does. Art is one thing. The technical side of Horizon, while still marvelous, falls short of God of War and I won’t even mention Metro.

I say just enjoy the accomplishment the game achieved at the time. Its clean aesthetic is great on its own.

I respectfully have to disagree with the bolded. I played these games back to back (H:ZD immediately followed by GoW), 100%ing both of them on the same PS4 Pro on the same TV. While GoW definitely has better looking/more detailed character models/animations, it seems to have much lower resolution reflections/lighting/special effects. As I'm playing it, I can see the dithering (or whatever it's called on modern machines) in all of the energy blasts, fire, reflections on the water, etc. All energy and particle effects appeared much smoother in H:ZD to my eyes. Also, the LOD/draw distance was more impressive in H:ZD. GoW seems much quicker to sub in 2D assets, relying on flatter skyboxes more readily, as opposed to H:ZD's willingness to render things in 3D much further out. At least that's how it all looked to me.

John2290 said:
This game isn't quite as good looking as I remember but perhaps that is just the nature of the snow in The Cut.

I'm surprised by this. I actually think the snow is just okay in the main game but exceptional in the DLC. The reason being that I can't think of a game I've played with as precise collision detection in the snow. The Uncharteds and God of War (PS4), etc. all have wider girths when a character's polygons displace snow. H:ZD's DLC seems to really tighten up that collision detection so that the displacement is much closer to what the visible dimensions of Aloy et al.'s character models etc. are.

John2290 said:
The game looks better when I super sample onto my 32 inch 1080 screen even over the resolution mode on my 4k with HDR, oddly enough.

I wonder if the rendering resolution when you're supersampling is more consistent than the checkerboard 4k solution (no idea on this to be honest). If so, maybe you're picking up on that consistency? Or maybe it's the higher resolution on a smaller screen that makes everything appear even sharper? I played it supersampled on my 40" 1080p and personally found it to be much more impressive on the 65" 4K HDR. Of course, I'm a bit partial to HDR...

John2290 said:
Holy shit, the pop in is atrocious and the ailising isn't much better. People like DF saying that GoT isn't technically better than HZD my ass, it's technically better in a different way as well as looking much better with the art style. Really surprised by how bad this game looks now after Ghost and that's even before the difference all the movement and particles make as well as the draw distance and load times. GoT might be the best looking game I've ever seen on Console.

I can't speak for Ghosts of Tsushima, but I have seen H:ZD's pop in on friends' systems. I never really experienced this, however. I'm guessing the determining factor was that they were running HDDs, and I am running an SSD in my PS4 Pro (Samsung Evo 860, I think)? It definitely seemed to reduce load times significantly.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
John2290 said:
vivster said:

And they say pc gamers are obsessed with graphics.

It could be 8k with 3TB worth of high quality textures and it would still run like shit. Not being able to use a mouse for this shooter is just the cherry on top.

Yes, it is a crime that this game, like all good console exclusive games, is confined on a single bad platform with no choice whatsoever.

Now that your complaint is adressed have you bought and supported the game so you'll get more of these PS first parties with your M&K?

It's been on my Steam wishlist since they announced it. I'll buy it as soon as they fix it and make the horrible port a passable port. Probably in October or something.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

CGI-Quality said:
GrahfsLament said:

I respectfully have to disagree with the bolded. I played these games back to back (H:ZD immediately followed by GoW), 100%ing both of them on the same PS4 Pro on the same TV. While GoW definitely has better looking/more detailed character models/animations, it seems to have much lower resolution reflections/lighting/special effects. As I'm playing it, I can see the dithering (or whatever it's called on modern machines) in all of the energy blasts, fire, reflections on the water, etc. All energy and particle effects appeared much smoother in H:ZD to my eyes. Also, the LOD/draw distance was more impressive in H:ZD. GoW seems much quicker to sub in 2D assets, relying on flatter skyboxes more readily, as opposed to H:ZD's willingness to render things in 3D much further out. At least that's how it all looked to me.

Eh, nah. I stand by that original statement from 2 years ago. God of War is a more technically sound game, even if Horizon has its advantages.

Apologies for the late follow-up: my schedule can be like that.

I'm curious as to why you think GoW, if you recall after two years, is a more technically sound game (<= this is not meant to sound challenging or skeptical...just in case the text reads that way). Are there processes running "under the hood" or things present in frame that I'm possibly (read: probably) simply missing (similar to someone only seeing one perspective of this)? To my eyes, H:ZD looks better in most arenas, but I know that some amount of graphical appeal is naturally going to be subjective (e.g. the way some people prioritize fps over resolution and vice-versa). So, I'd definitely love to know more about the technical achievement side of things.

TLDR: I've been visiting the forums long enough to know that you seem to know far more about graphical techniques/coding/etc. than I do, so I'm always interested in learning more!

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall