By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS sold over 65 million Units & 320 million Softwares! (As of December31 2016)

I don't have too many games either for my 3DS

• Ocarina of Time 3DS
  • Majora's Mask 3DS
  • A Link Between Worlds (it really is a Zelda machine for me, lol)
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Fire Emblem: Fates
  • Bravely Default
  • Pokémon X/Y
  • Pokémon ORAS
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  • Pokémon Sun & Moon
  • Super Mario 3D Land (got this for free)

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

Yeah... it's not good, becomes even more apparent when you compare it to other Nintendo Systems.

Gamecube - 9.59
Wii - 9
Nes - 8.07
Snes - 7.72
wiiu - 7.1
N64 - 6.83
DS - 6.15
3DS - 4.91
GBA - 4.63
Gameboy - 4.2

How is it not good? From their handhelds, only the DS did better. People just buy less games for handhelds than for home console systems. 

Well the GBA has the excuse of being succeeded by the DS a mere 3 years after launching, and it still only just lost to the 3DS. The Gameboy is surprising though.

Great performance 3DS ! Let's see if it can make it to 75M LT

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

How is it not good? From their handhelds, only the DS did better. People just buy less games for handhelds than for home console systems. 

Well the GBA has the excuse of being succeeded by the DS a mere 3 years after launching, and it still only just lost to the 3DS. The Gameboy is surprising though.

The 3DS software total probably doesn't include digital sales.  Almost half of my 3DS collection, not including virtual console, is from digital sales.

h2ohno said:
Barkley said:

The 3DS software total probably doesn't include digital sales.  Almost half of my 3DS collection, not including virtual console, is from digital sales.

These are official figures from Nintendo, they definitely include digital.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
h2ohno said:

These are official figures from Nintendo, they definitely include digital.

Does Nintendo use the term 'units' to describe digital games?  If so, do they include virtual console games and eshop exclusives?  It still looks to me like it's physical units shipped to stores, not downloads.

h2ohno said:

Does Nintendo use the term 'units' to describe digital games?  If so, do they include virtual console games and eshop exclusives?  It still looks to me like it's physical units shipped to stores, not downloads.

Yes a Digital Unit is still a Unit, and it will include all software digital/retail including eshop content.

Companies do not release software figures without including Digital. Whether it be Pokemon Sun & Moon, Mario Kart 8 or Uncharted 4 sales.

Lawlight said:
Shipment for 2016 = 7.36M
Shipment for 2015 = 7.53M

Not a bad hold at all.

im so proud of you

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barkley said:
h2ohno said:

Yes a Digital Unit is still a Unit, and it will include all software digital/retail including eshop content.

Companies do not release software figures without including Digital. Whether it be Pokemon Sun & Moon, Mario Kart 8 or Uncharted 4 sales.

these numbers do not include Virtual Console or eShop exclusive titles. Its shipped+digital of games available at retail.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

That's becoming tiring... FAT DS replaced it in the end of 2004, GBA had been launched in March 2001! Fat ds wasn't a hot thing, it didn't affect gba hardware sales almost at all, despite the bc, as for software sales the bc helped them, Nintendo was launching a considerable amount of gba software till the beginning of 2008.

The cheaper Ds lite was what that killed gba in 2006, fat sold just 19m between 2004-2006...

3DS is anywise stronger than GBA in software,  in spite  of having less third party support overall ( in Japan 3ds probably has more third party support than gba had, hence their very big sales discrepancy )... Compare X/Y to R/S and Mario kart 7 to Mario kart SC for instance....

As for gameboy, the problem is the combination of GB and GBC sales, never forget that game boy color came nine years after gb ( it lasted almost 5 years, Nintendo shipped 2.1m gbc software in 2003 ! ) and had its own brand new vast game library, for example Pokemon silver and gold were gbc exclusives, as many other major games!

In addition, It's true that home console players buy more software, but the attach ratio for handheld console is also lower, because more handheld console players own more than one system of the console family than home console players, since it's more affordable to upgrade/purchase a revision, even though home console are less durable products...