By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS sold over 65 million Units & 320 million Softwares! (As of December31 2016)

Would be even higher if supply wasn't so constrained. Current trade-in values for 3DS @ GS are insane. New units are difficult to find.

Hi

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
And people said it wouldn't make it to 70 million

I wish vgchartz's topics were archived. Would be nice to see what people predicted.

Barkley said:
DanneSandin said:

I think I argued that 3DS would end up around 75m sold units life time, seems pretty spot on - although I doubted it would reach that number quite I few times. But that tie ratio is just bad

3DS tie ratio; 4

DS tie ratio; 6

Yeah... it's not good, becomes even more apparent when you compare it to other Nintendo Systems.

Gamecube - 9.59
Wii - 9
Nes - 8.07
Snes - 7.72
wiiu - 7.1
N64 - 6.83
DS - 6.15
3DS - 4.91
GBA - 4.63
Gameboy - 4.2

it actually is exactly as expected, slightly better than the GBA and Gameboy. the DS was an anamoly, its not surprising that it had a slightly better software sold per system than the other handhelds.

Handhelds never have anywhere near as high of an attach rate with software sales as home consoles, because many people will buy a handheld specifically for a particular game or two (Mario Kart, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, etc.)

to put into perspective the Wii sold as much software as the DS despite selling 100 million systems versus like 150 some million. Just how it goes with handhelds. No shame in the 3DS's software numbers

tak13 said:
Teriol said:

NS is not high priced, and yes 3DS will get 70 -75 million lifetime.

Rol, considering that switch might be 3DS successor too, means that switch is high priced as a  handheld console only...

As a newly home console it's afforable and as a home and handheld console too,  its price  is low ( New 3ds xl and WIIU cost 500$ combined )  but for those who want only a handheld conole, it's a fairly high price..

Remember the trouble of 3DS at its initial price of 250$ and that DS costed 149$?

Any price above 199$ for a handheld console is high for the only handheld console gamers!

but its not a handheld only system and I seriously doubt many people are going to purchase it and say "omg, this is ONLY a handheld for me". It comes with a dock as big as the system for gods sake, most people buying the system are fully aware that its for home use too.

Don't get me wrong, SOME percentage of people may primarily use it on-the-go but I think the vast majority of people will do a mix of both.

also I hear this nonsense over and over about "omg people won't buy a handheld if its over 200$". Wells newsflash, the 3DS newest models have sold for close to 200$ since forever and at the moment (due to low supply at stores) even used New 3DS XL's are going for like 200-250$ online.

the people bitching about prices are just so out of touch.

you can hardly even get a particularly good new phone for 200 or 300$, prices just aren't in line with what some of you think. And if you want to call the Switch a tablet, like many of you seem to, you can get basically a mediocre tablet (that doesn't really game) for like 150-200$. But a good one (with less processing power than the Switch)? they can cost a lotttt