By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS sold over 65 million Units & 320 million Softwares! (As of December31 2016)

xl-klaudkil said:
Shipped or sold though?
And wow that software is bad!!

Nintendo reports shipped units afaik. 

Software is actually in line with other handhelds (GB, GBC, GBA and also PSP / Vita attach ratios I think). The DS was the big exception as people bought lots of games for it.

Around the Network

What were 3DS sales expectations for the current financial year? I've been trying to dig them up but haven't found them yet.

Wii U still overtracked here as well.

Barkley said:
DanneSandin said:

I think I argued that 3DS would end up around 75m sold units life time, seems pretty spot on - although I doubted it would reach that number quite I few times. But that tie ratio is just bad

3DS tie ratio; 4

DS tie ratio; 6

Yeah... it's not good, becomes even more apparent when you compare it to other Nintendo Systems.

Gamecube - 9.59
Wii - 9
Nes - 8.07
Snes - 7.72
wiiu - 7.1
N64 - 6.83
DS - 6.15
3DS - 4.91
GBA - 4.63
Gameboy - 4.2

Going by VGC numbers it also has a worse attach rate than Vita; 5. But looking at GBA and Gameboy it would seem that this is actually the norm form Nintendo HH

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

twintail said:
Barkley said:

Well the DS had an attach rate of 6.15. (948 mil)

There are only 3 devices with less software than the 3DS: WiiU, GC and N64 - the latter 2 didnt even have Digital sales to increase that number. And those 3 were basically just poor performing consoles, which kind of puts 3DS sales into perspective. 

Of course, 3rd party support for 3DS was largely quite poor compared to what the DS had, so that played a role. Less need for a handheld, too. Nintendo mismanagement of digital store. maybe. 

On another note, seems like the 3DS wont even reach the PSP (numbers are hard to find but an IGN talk with Layden suggest 80+ million), which is too bad. 

Yeah but if you compare attach ratios to other handhelds the numbers are perfectly normal (the DS being the exception here). I remember the PSP having attach ratios of less than 1 (!) in Japan back in the day when the PSP2000 released. It was quite the talk on VGChartz. 

Totally right about lifetime sales though. The PSP sold more than 80m units and I can't see the 3DS getting there. It will probably reach 70m lifetime sales but not much more. 

Around the Network

So if i got about 15 3ds consoles and about 40 games.

That attach rate is pretty shocking

Cobretti2 said:

If you have 15 3DSs and 40 games, you're the one pulling the attach-ratio down.

Barkley said:
DanneSandin said:

I think I argued that 3DS would end up around 75m sold units life time, seems pretty spot on - although I doubted it would reach that number quite I few times. But that tie ratio is just bad

3DS tie ratio; 4

DS tie ratio; 6

Yeah... it's not good, becomes even more apparent when you compare it to other Nintendo Systems.

Gamecube - 9.59
Wii - 9
Nes - 8.07
Snes - 7.72
wiiu - 7.1
N64 - 6.83
DS - 6.15
3DS - 4.91
GBA - 4.63
Gameboy - 4.2

How is it not good? From their handhelds, only the DS did better. People just buy less games for handhelds than for home console systems. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Shipment for 2016 = 7.36M
Shipment for 2015 = 7.53M

Not a bad hold at all.

S.Peelman said:
Cobretti2 said:

If you have 15 3DSs and 40 games, you're the one pulling the attach-ratio down.

well yer. im sure there is a few out there like that who buy the limited consoles too. wonder what the ratio would be otherwise if peope like me didn't bring it down.

on the contrast I got 1 vita.