By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS sold over 65 million Units & 320 million Softwares! (As of December31 2016)

Asriel said:
What were 3DS sales expectations for the current financial year? I've been trying to dig them up but haven't found them yet.

7.2m...

It's at 6.45m between April-December...

Only 750k to hit it!

Easy! Nintendo had shipped 1m in last year's FYQ4...

We also have to take into account that 3DS is extremely hard to be found in NA since early December, way higher demand than the expected ( Pokemon go+Sun and Moon huge effect )... To be precise, higher demand than the number of units that Nintendo had produced as of December....

Around the Network
tak13 said:
Asriel said:
What were 3DS sales expectations for the current financial year? I've been trying to dig them up but haven't found them yet.

7.2m...

Only 750k to hit it!

We also have to take into account that 3DS is extremely hard to be found in NA since early December, way higher demand than the expected ( Pokemon go+Sun and Moon huge effect )... To be precise, higher demand than the number of units that Nintendo had produced as of December....

the original projection was 5 million which was bumped up to 6 million and now its 7.2 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

And people said it wouldn't make it to 70 million

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

zorg1000 said:
tak13 said:

7.2m...

Only 750k to hit it!

the original projection was 5 million which was bumped up to 6 million and now its 7.2 million

Yeah, and I have puzzled over the fact that they didn't increased the forecast again, especially given the NA situation... 

Switch?

Unless they retaining it at 7.2m on purpose... To exceed it by a lot! ;)

There are still big titles coming to 3ds this year. Everoasis, FE, MHXX, and many more (AA, SoS, dragon ball, SMT). I can see 3ds sell at least a couple millions more

Around the Network

So 3DS slightly undertracked and Wii U slightly over tracked. Good tracking by Vgchartz. Nice to get these numbers.

Barkley said:
DanneSandin said:

I think I argued that 3DS would end up around 75m sold units life time, seems pretty spot on - although I doubted it would reach that number quite I few times. But that tie ratio is just bad

3DS tie ratio; 4

DS tie ratio; 6

Yeah... it's not good, becomes even more apparent when you compare it to other Nintendo Systems.

Gamecube - 9.59
Wii - 9
Nes - 8.07
Snes - 7.72
wiiu - 7.1
N64 - 6.83
DS - 6.15
3DS - 4.91
GBA - 4.63
Gameboy - 4.2

DS was at 4.5 before 3DS released. Finshed up 1.5 higher.

3DS could beat the DS tie ratio when all's said and done.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

tak13 said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah, and I have puzzled over the fact that they didn't increased the forecast again, especially given the NA situation... 

Switch?

Unless they retaining it at 7.2m on purpose... To exceed it by a lot! ;)

What? They just bumped the forcast to 7.2 million, it was 6 million last quarter.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

tak13 said:
Asriel said:

7.2m...

Only 750k to hit it!

I meant the original target, from the start of the financial year. Having finally found it on Nintendo's website, the original estimation for 3DS in FY16/17 was 5 million units, which makes the Pokemon boost even more impressive. Nearly a 50% increase on their original hardware target, plus a massive increase of 'legacy' software (Pokemon X/Y, OR/AS, Mario Kart 7) in the Western market. It may indicate that if Nintendo can keep 3DS chugging alongside Switch as a budget offering, there's a little room for growth in Western markets yet.

EDIT: I see other people have pointed out the original shipment figures and the subsequent increases in this year's estimate.

Mario Kart 8's tie ratio is ridiculous. Even if it was halved it would still be amazing.

Is MK8 needed to hack the WiiU or something?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!