By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So Microsoft just made a sh!t ton of money! Shares officially worth 500 billion dollars!

Wow, highest since 1999! I wonder what they're doing differently

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

I think they had more shares or something like that.

Snoopy said:
Ljink96 said:

I think they had more shares or something like that.

This. They've repurchased like 120 billion dollars in shares since that time period.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Ljink96 said:

They have consistently grown year on year since 1999, the issue was the stupid pricing in 1999. They were massively overvalued, just prior to dotcom bubble burst. Even post dotcom they remained significantly overpriced for most of the next decade as they slowly grew into their valuation. Now pricing is about right.

Congratulations, Microsoft!

Thank you for making Windows and Xbox :)

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/01/26/xbox-console-revenue-drops-games-revenue-soars-xbox-live-active-users-reach-record-high/

"The company announced numbers in the black for the organization as a whole, as you can see below.

• Revenue was $24.1 billion GAAP, and $26.1 billion non-GAAP
  • Operating income was $6.2 billion GAAP, and $8.2 billion non-GAAP
  • Net income was $5.2 billion GAAP, and $6.5 billion non-GAAP
  • Diluted earnings per share was $0.66 GAAP, and $0.83 non-GAAP

We also get specific results for the More Personal Computing segment of the company, which includes gaming.

Revenue for the gaming business was reported at $3,595 million. That’s more than twice as much as the revenue registered in the first quarter of the fiscal year, but that’s a given due to the holiday season.

Active Xbox Live users were 55 million during the quarter, up from 47 million in the first quarter of the fiscal year, also showing a 15% growth year-on-year. This marks a new record across Xbox platforms, Windows 10 and mobile devices.

Gaming revenue dropped by 3% year-on-year (-1% in constant currency) due to lower Xbox console revenue caused by lower pricing and sales volume.

This was partly offset by a strong performance of software and services. Revenue in this segment grew by 18% (21% in constant currency) with digital purchases reaching one billion dollars in revenue during the quarter due to “continued adoption of digital distribution and a strong game lineup.”

As usual, It’s worth mentioning that the lower console sales volume isn’t necessarily related to the Xbox One, but they most probably come from the Xbox 360 side of the business."

10-Q at Marketwatch has given the breakdown on gaming revenue:

"Gaming revenue decreased $104 million or 3%, primarily due to lower Xbox hardware revenue, offset in part by higher revenue from Xbox software and services. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 22%, mainly due to lower prices of consoles sold and a decline in volume of consoles sold. Xbox software and services revenue increased 18%, driven by a higher volume of Xbox Live transactions and revenue per transaction."

We're getting closer to the Orwellian present every day.

Congratulations Microsoft for your success.

Proud to be a Californian.

Pretty sure this is from cancelling Scalebound.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

They know how to make money. The new CEO is doing a great job however his doing such a great job that lower income brands like Xbox Hardware could be on the chopping board. Brands like MS/Apple dont like piggy backing others. Its all about the dollar bill. Halo is the only thing that can show its worth the Hardware buisness.

Its not that Xbox is doing bad, its if there doing enough to impress the high standards the technology giant has.