By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump bans EPA employees from giving social media updates.

This is just getting more and more pathetic. Trump's going to go down as one of the worst presidents in this nation's history

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
DonFerrari said:

So any personnel working for the government can talk in the name of it?

And one of the problems with governement is that they aren't managed as companies, so much drains and inefficiencies.

If taxpayer money goes into public research for example, of course the results should be shared with the masses, for examples in cases of environmental research, infrastructure research and so on. This is the attempt by an administration to control information that belongs to the public. I'm not talking about employees having the right to bash the government, but rather their obligation to share public information.

Regarding your second part: generally, government entities are more complex and ineffective than private counterparts (with some exceptions, the private health care and insurance system in the US seems like the most ineffective system I've ever seen). The reason they are less effective is because their job is to work for the people, not s small group of private shareholders. Yes, it would likely be more effective to run a country like a company, but that's because a company is not a democracy, it is rather more like a dictatorship where you can also increase your power by owning more of the vote. That works for a company but is the opposite to a democracy.

So you are confusing research boycote/censorship with social media use to divulgue it? Yep, not a overreach.

Nope, they are more inefficent because public servers don't hold themselves to a commitment to be profitable, so they accept a lot of pratices that no sane company would.

And democracy in several ways can be seem as the dictatorship of the majority, and that majority very often may be very wrong. At the time Einstein made his discoveries probably 99,99999999% of people would say he was wrong and in a democracy he would have been overuled.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Trump is doing a great job as President by: building the US-Mexico wall, opposing EPA and tearing up that Asia-Pacific free trade deal that rips off American workers.

Shocking really. Well it seems my suspicions about Trump are confirmed. He's not only wholly ignorant about basic scientific facts, but he wishes the entire nation to bask in ignorance as well by silencing our experts.

Christians rejoice?

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

FIT_Gamer said:

TBH I wouldn't mind if the "Good Lord" "calls him home" in the near future.

Not a religious person but  I actually hope for this. No joke.

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:

TBH I wouldn't mind if the "Good Lord" "calls him home" in the near future.

You mean you wouldn't mind if the "Dark Lord" "Needs a realtor" in the near future.

Lawlight said:
And for the record:

http://www.peer.org/news/news-releases/obama-gag-order-on-federal-workers-like-those-under-bush.html

That's a very interesting fact.  Thank you for bringing it up and linking to a credible source which allows for direct comparison of the original text of both the Obama and Trump administration's orders.

Baalzamon said:
Probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but there is a BIG BIG difference between banning free speech and banning a government agency from continuing to spout things that DO have a political agenda associated with them. No, I'm not saying global warming is necessarily a hoax. No, I'm not saying that there isn't an issue with us spewing too much shit into the atmosphere. But you absolutely cannot deny there are HUGE political agendas associated with global warming and climate control.

Tell me when he has banned private companies and private citizens from informing the public of facts/findings. THEN we have a problem.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it" - NdGT

DonFerrari said:
Scoobes said:

They're not running their mouth though, they're talking about their work and presenting their data whilst also giving expert commentary to major events. It's essential for the pursuit of science and research. And as it's funded by tax payers, they have every right to know the results of the research they've funded, not some censored bullshit propaganda from high up. 

It's completely disproportionate and utterly disgraceful given the "alternative facts" the administration keep presenting. 

Expert commentary on social media... sure... that is certainly the forum for cientific discussion.

You'd be surprised what's posted on science based social media sites. You obviously don't follow it. 

fatslob-:O said:
Scoobes said:

They're not running their mouth though, they're talking about their work and presenting their data whilst also giving expert commentary to major events. It's essential for the pursuit of science and research. And as it's funded by tax payers, they have every right to know the results of the research they've funded, not some censored bullshit propaganda from high up. 

It's completely disproportionate and utterly disgraceful given the "alternative facts" the administration keep presenting. 

No they do not! 

I don't care much for the narrative that everyone here in this thread is going to push as just but don't even try to conflate your values of what's ethical when there are a set of protocols that big organizations have to follow including those working in public service. This is no different from a NDA agreement that employees have to follow regardless of whether they work in the private or public sector ... 

And for christ's sake people should learn what the actual obligations are from instead assuming that it's a free for all ... 

You really don't understand how state funded science works.

Unless it's DARPA or some other defense spending or a private entity owns the IP for the data, then you have every right to know (up to you if you're happy with giving up that right). Public research thrives on being an open platform and even private companies will present their findings at major conferences and spread the word on social media although not all the proprietary details (at least until a patent is filed). Having a robust social media policy is not the same as a complete gag order.