By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump bans EPA employees from giving social media updates.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/01/25/trump-administration-reverses-course-says-epas-climate-page-will-remain/

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
ebw said:

"Not the norm" literally means "in less than a dominant majority of cases".  That's absolutely not the same as saying "there is no company", so it is illogical to restate the claim in this fashion, and can only be interpreted as an inept attempt at a straw man argument.  At the same time, you also draw an unjustified equivalence between proprietary information owned by a private company and scientific that are facts already publicly available.  No rational person would say these things.

Ok so bring the TOP 500 companies and how much they allow their employees to talk about the company without prior authorization from the company.

Scoobes said:

Depends on the industry and company. Note that you started your post with "any" and are now moving the goal posts so to speak. 

There are certain bits of private information they will be restricted from talking about at nearly all companies. That's natural and has a legal basis. Like I said, most companies have a social media policy in place that covers their own needs.

On a side note, you know the EPA aren't a private company, right? Tax payer funded research is for the public, not proprietary. A gag order of this scale is ridiculous and disproportionate.

Nope, it isn't private but also isn't the right of any employee under it to run their mouth as they see fit, and if the overseeing power over that agency decides that only the official mouthpieces are allowed to talk to the public about agency related stuff then so be it.

In Brazil most public employees aren't there on social media talking about their internal affairs, most that are involve judicial system

They're not running their mouth though, they're talking about their work and presenting their data whilst also giving expert commentary to major events. It's essential for the pursuit of science and research. And as it's funded by tax payers, they have every right to know the results of the research they've funded, not some censored bullshit propaganda from high up. 

It's completely disproportionate and utterly disgraceful given the "alternative facts" the administration keep presenting. 

konnichiwa said:

This person was quietly defying Trump from his computer at the national park Service

Would post a link to the tweets but they got deleted :(.  Guy who did it possible got fired :(;

No one was fired.

And for the record:

http://www.peer.org/news/news-releases/obama-gag-order-on-federal-workers-like-those-under-bush.html

Has Trump tweeted yet which of the many African dictators he's trying to ape?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Trump supporters never comment on these threads.

Haha. You spoke too soon!

And now research has to go a "political review" before release. Basically, lets cherry pick the data that best supports our false rhetoric and vested interests:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/25/donald-trump-epa-gag-order-political-review

Its a world of Alternative Facts now. Trump wants to decide what is true and what isn't true. Its sickening that we're stuck with this guy, but our alternative will be Pence who is just as out there. And now Trump is talking about sending the Feds into Chicago. I say I fear for our lives but its looking like we won't live long enough to really fear. Thanks idiots who voted for this fool. You most likely killed us all.

Probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but there is a BIG BIG difference between banning free speech and banning a government agency from continuing to spout things that DO have a political agenda associated with them. No, I'm not saying global warming is necessarily a hoax. No, I'm not saying that there isn't an issue with us spewing too much shit into the atmosphere. But you absolutely cannot deny there are HUGE political agendas associated with global warming and climate control.

Tell me when he has banned private companies and private citizens from informing the public of facts/findings. THEN we have a problem.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Lawlight said:
And for the record:

http://www.peer.org/news/news-releases/obama-gag-order-on-federal-workers-like-those-under-bush.html

This is actually hilarious. I'm going to go on a limb and assume this didn't bother the (generally) liberal media at all under Obama.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.