By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch online requires Phone App? Why is no one talking about this?

Adamblaziken said:

He figured people could figure it out on there own. Seems like a nice addition to be able to do it in either place. The device or your phone

Wow......

Ok, so let me get this straight... he was asked that question because the person asking the question made the mistake of thinking that was the only way you could do online multiplayer on the switch. And his way of putting the concerns to rest was by confirming it and saying nothing about any other way of doing it?

And you have gone from questioning why we think this is the only way (even ignoring Reggies comments) to suggesting that its too stupid that  this is the only way to confirming that its a nice added feature to have all in a matter of posts and minutes with nothing to back what you are saying except that everyone else should know that can't be true even though all the ebidence suggests otherwise?

You can't be serious right?

Around the Network

Well, that quote sure makes it sounds like using the app is the only way to do those things... Hopefully Nintendo will clarify soon, if they don't I'll assume the worst.

Adamblaziken said:
Soundwave said:

No I think this is the only way to do it. This way a 7-year-old can't randomly get online with a Switch and start chatting or getting communication from someone they shouldn't be without their parents knowing it. 

I dont think these companies suddenly would get morals and do stuff like that. Just so it could piss off most of the folks who buy there games. Ya know? I dont think thats the reasoning

It's not just morals, it protects Nintendo against liabilities/lawsuits if some nut decides to try and meet up with kids through the Switch network especially if they're planning to allow more communication online going forward, this would buffer against potentially bad situations. 

I wanna really believe that the console itself will support multiplayer with random people at the very least. And this is just for "higher multiplayer" functions like chats and lobby stuff. Still ridiculously stupid but thats the best I have got.

Now all they need o complete this is to make the iphone and android app ad supported so they also get money from you using the apps. At this rate that won't surprise me one bit. They have already gone after YouTube videos so why not

I am hoping its not the only option. If it is... I am probably gonna skip this mess entirely

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I posted about it around 60 times yesterday.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Intrinsic said:

I always thought this was just an option. Or an added feature or something. But unless its some sort of massive mistake, Reggie just confirmed it as an "elegant solution" to aproblem that doesn't even exist.

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

How is this even possible? Why???? So to game online on the switch you will need to have a smartphone? And this is an elegant solution? And don't forget, this online service i also a paid service.

I don't know, this coupled with the news that at launch the switch won't do netflix or youtube or have a browser.... the only thing i can think of is that they are doing this to keep the OS footprint as low as possible. so more of its available ram is left for games. And i honestly think that is a stretch.

This is 2017 for crying out loud.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224534&page=1

We had this conversation. It's fucking stupid.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Faelco said:
Adamblaziken said:
Seriously why are we assuming that meant that was the only option. Clearly not what it was saying

When he says "the phone app is how you'll voice chat, do your matchmaking and create your lobby", it clearly indicates that the phone app is needed for that, which is consistent with every other announcement about it: every time they talk about the online, they talk about this app.

Exactly. And when contacted for clarification, Nintendo has been silent. When stories are written about it, they don't correct the article. Big time youtubers, same thing. It's insane, and terrible, but it looks it's what they're doing.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Captain_Yuri said:
I am hoping its not the only option. If it is... I am probably gonna skip this mess entirely

Then...I wouldn't bother putting money aside for it...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

It doesn't "require" the phone app. Its an added feature if you want to control a friends list or voice chat, etc. If you just jump on to play a game, then you just do that without the phone app. I'm not even sure how you pulled that it is required out of any of the information that has come out so far.