By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch online requires Phone App? Why is no one talking about this?

Soundwave said:
Adamblaziken said:

You dont have to. You can

That isn't what it sounds like. 

Sounds like an added feature. I like it

Its over 9000

Around the Network
Adamblaziken said:
It makes no sense for this to be the only option. Just wait for them to clarify

The reasoning could be that this is Nintendo's way of preventing kids from communicating/playing with people they shouldn't be playing with, most young kids don't have their own smartphone, so they'd either have to be old enough to have their own phone or use their parents phone to play online, which alerts the parent that their kid is playing a game online. 

Soundwave said:
Adamblaziken said:

The reasoning could be that this is Nintendo's way of preventing kids from communicating/playing with people they shouldn't be playing with, most young kids don't have their own smartphone, so they'd either have to be old enough to have their own phone or use their parents phone to play online, which alerts the parent that their kid is playing a game online. 

Most kids have a smartphone and the parents should know what the kids are doing anyways. Sounds like an added feature

Its over 9000

Mr_No said:
What worries me the most is matchmaking being done thru a phone. So that means online, apart from being a paid service, will be strongly dependent on whether you have a smartphone or not. Unless you're able to matchmake thru the docked console, this doesn't seem like a reliable option, to be honest. And I want Nintendo to succeed with this.

This. Couldnt have said it better myself.

Adamblaziken said:
Soundwave said:

Most kids have a smartphone and the parents should know what the kids are doing anyways. Sounds like an added feature

I don't know many 6/7/8 year olds with their own phone. This can also easily show the parent who their kid is playing with/communicating with, because most parents are not going to turn on the game console and go through the menus and do all that. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Adamblaziken said:

I don't know many 6/7/8 year olds with their own phone. This can also easily show the parent who their kid is playing with/communicating with, because most parents are not going to turn on the game console and go through the menus and do all that. 

So added feature?

Its over 9000

Adamblaziken said:

It makes no sense for this to even be anoption at all. Like its not even in any way easier or better to do things this way. Why would you need a second device to do something on the device you are taking with you or plugging to your Tv anyways?

Even the PS3/360 with operating systems that sat on all of 40MB of RAM, can do and handle local matchmaking. 

Yes, it doesn't make sense at all, but that this is even news at all and that reggie is saying it makes me think this is the way they are trying to implement it. Obviously by now they know people are puzzled by this, if it wasn't the case Nintendo would have no doubt made an annoucement that this is just an option and not theonly way to do online multiplayer.

And its not like these are rumors we are running it, just read what the guys says... that Reggie.... how more clear do you need him to be? He even added "thats a specific answer"if this was just an option and the system would be able to do all this locally don't you think he would have mentioned that?

Adamblaziken said:
Soundwave said:

So added feature?

No I think this is the only way to do it. This way a 7-year-old can't randomly get online with a Switch and start chatting or getting communication from someone they shouldn't be without their parents knowing it. 

Intrinsic said:
Adamblaziken said:

It makes no sense for this to even be anoption at all. Like its not even in any way easier or better to do things this way. Why would you need a second device to do something on the device you are taking with you or plugging to your Tv anyways?

Even the PS3/360 with operating systems that sat on all of 40MB of RAM, can do and handle local matchmaking. 

Yes, it doesn't make sense at all, but that this is even news at all and that reggie is saying it makes me think this is the way they are trying to implement it. Obviously by now they know people are puzzled by this, if it wasn't the case Nintendo would have no doubt made an annoucement that this is just an option and not theonly way to do online multiplayer.

And its not like these are rumors we are running it, just read what the guys says... that Reggie.... how more clear do you need him to be? He even added "thats a specific answer"if this was just an option and the system would be able to do all this locally don't you think he would have mentioned that?

He figured people could figure it out on there own. Seems like a nice addition to be able to do it in either place. The device or your phone

Its over 9000

Soundwave said:
Adamblaziken said:

So added feature?

No I think this is the only way to do it. This way a 7-year-old can't randomly get online with a Switch and start chatting or getting communication from someone they shouldn't be without their parents knowing it. 

I dont think these companies suddenly would get morals and do stuff like that. Just so it could piss off most of the folks who buy there games. Ya know? I dont think thats the reasoning

Its over 9000