By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch online requires Phone App? Why is no one talking about this?

Even if there is only one aspect of online play that requires the use of a smartphone app it's a shitty thing. The gaming functions of a handheld console should be able to be operated completely independent of any other personal electronic device.

So I hope this is just Nintendo doing its usual thing and utterly failing to clearly communicate this thing, rather than actually making a smartphone a compulsory companion accessory in order to access 100% of on the go gaming functionality.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Adamblaziken said:
It makes no sense for this to be the only option. Just wait for them to clarify

The reasoning could be that this is Nintendo's way of preventing kids from communicating/playing with people they shouldn't be playing with, most young kids don't have their own smartphone, so they'd either have to be old enough to have their own phone or use their parents phone to play online, which alerts the parent that their kid is playing a game online. 

If it is a parental control option that can be activated and isn't a mandatory feature then sure this could be a good thing. Though unless the feaqture is defaulted to being on and users of a certain age have to turn it off in system settings, then it's unlikely such an option will ever be used, because 0.01% of parents who buy their kids Nintendo gaming devices have any sort of clue about this sort of stuff. And the kids will soon easily figure out how to turn it off, so only at point of sale, if the parent is buying it and the sales staff actually runs through the parental control stuff and has the parent download the app on their phone and sort everything out would it function as an effective parental control system.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Did Reggie get into the mushroom closet again?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

superchunk said:
It doesn't "require" the phone app. Its an added feature if you want to control a friends list or voice chat, etc. If you just jump on to play a game, then you just do that without the phone app. I'm not even sure how you pulled that it is required out of any of the information that has come out so far.

Thank you!!!! I agree 1000%

Its over 9000

Adamblaziken said:
Faelco said:

When he says "the phone app is how you'll voice chat, do your matchmaking and create your lobby", it clearly indicates that the phone app is needed for that, which is consistent with every other announcement about it. 

So it couldnt mean that on top of how you have always done it. There is another convenient way we added to do those things?

How is using a second device for functionality that could've easily been built into the Switch in any way convenient?

That's like carrying a second smartphone with you so you can use the phone function of your first smartphone.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
I wanna really believe that the console itself will support multiplayer with random people at the very least. And this is just for "higher multiplayer" functions like chats and lobby stuff. Still ridiculously stupid but thats the best I have got.

Now all they need o complete this is to make the iphone and android app ad supported so they also get money from you using the apps. At this rate that won't surprise me one bit. They have already gone after YouTube videos so why not

So people with Windows phone gonna be screwed over...again?

Jimi Hendrix

This actually been discussed a lot and buried many times :p

I do find this really odd but I don't really know enough of this to really decide whether this is a bad idea or something that's okay

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

vivster said:
Adamblaziken said:

So it couldnt mean that on top of how you have always done it. There is another convenient way we added to do those things?

How is using a second device for functionality that could've easily been built into the Switch in any way convenient?

That's like carrying a second smartphone with you so you can use the phone function of your first smartphone.

Im sure it is built into the switch. Its another option. I can see it serving a purpose. 

Its over 9000

superchunk said:
It doesn't "require" the phone app. Its an added feature if you want to control a friends list or voice chat, etc. If you just jump on to play a game, then you just do that without the phone app. I'm not even sure how you pulled that it is required out of any of the information that has come out so far.

But why does that option even exist? Everything you can do on the phone is easier and faster done with the Switch itself.

That's like adding an option to play with the Switch while the joycons are heated up to 500°C. It's not mandatory, just an option for people who think having 500°C hot Joycons is more convenient.

I haven't thought about it, but if you go outside the App does make sense but then... you also need 4g or 3g in you phone to play online, unless there is wifi everywhere you live.