By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch online requires Phone App? Why is no one talking about this?

vivster said:
superchunk said:
It doesn't "require" the phone app. Its an added feature if you want to control a friends list or voice chat, etc. If you just jump on to play a game, then you just do that without the phone app. I'm not even sure how you pulled that it is required out of any of the information that has come out so far.

But why does that option even exist? Everything you can do on the phone is easier and faster done with the Switch itself.

That's like adding an option to play with the Switch while the joycons are heated up to 500°C. It's not mandatory, just an option for people who think having 500°C hot Joycons is more convenient.

Why would more options be bad? Some people will like to do it that way

Its over 9000

Around the Network
Adamblaziken said:
vivster said:

How is using a second device for functionality that could've easily been built into the Switch in any way convenient?

That's like carrying a second smartphone with you so you can use the phone function of your first smartphone.

Im sure it is built into the switch. Its another option. I can see it serving a purpose. 

Explain the purpose. What super feature is worth lugging a second device with you that has the same cpabilities as the Switch?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

superchunk said:
It doesn't "require" the phone app. Its an added feature if you want to control a friends list or voice chat, etc. If you just jump on to play a game, then you just do that without the phone app. I'm not even sure how you pulled that it is required out of any of the information that has come out so far.

Uuuuhhh...

"that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app."

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

“The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby."

http://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo/2017/01/19/nintendo-switch-will-definitely-use-smartphone-matchmaking-voice-chat/

It's not built into the system.

Fucking stupid, right?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Captain_Yuri said:
I am hoping its not the only option. If it is... I am probably gonna skip this mess entirely

Then...I wouldn't bother putting money aside for it...

Wut?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

vivster said:
Adamblaziken said:

Im sure it is built into the switch. Its another option. I can see it serving a purpose. 

Explain the purpose. What super feature is worth lugging a second device with you that has the same cpabilities as the Switch?

Its a multitasking world. If you want to do 2 things at once

Its over 9000

Around the Network
Adamblaziken said:
vivster said:

How is using a second device for functionality that could've easily been built into the Switch in any way convenient?

That's like carrying a second smartphone with you so you can use the phone function of your first smartphone.

The problem isn't that it's "another" option. It's the ONLY option if you want to use a lobby or voice chat.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
superchunk said:

Uuuuhhh...

"that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app."

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

“The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby."

http://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo/2017/01/19/nintendo-switch-will-definitely-use-smartphone-matchmaking-voice-chat/

It's not built into the system.

Fucking stupid, right?

Captain_Yuri said:
Normchacho said:

Then...I wouldn't bother putting money aside for it...

Wut?

The Switch will require using an app for voice chat. So, if that's enough to put you off the system, I wouldn't bother putting money aside for it. Sorry, it was a clunky post.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Normchacho said:
Adamblaziken said:

The problem isn't that it's "another" option. It's the ONLY option if you want to use a lobby or voice chat.

I disagree

Its over 9000

Normchacho said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Wut?

The Switch will require using an app for voice chat. So, if that's enough to put you off the system, I wouldn't bother putting money aside for it. Sorry, it was a clunky post.

Well, VC isn't the main one, it requiring a phone to make lobbies/matchmaking is the main one.

If it's an optional feature, I am good but if it is the only method, then fuck dat.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Now that I think about it, this is a really great solution. You can use bluetooth with the device and you don't have to be tethered to a console at home to set up online functions, future gameplay sessions, etc. It really makes sense for the switch. Projared did an interview with Reggie, I suggest you check it out. This actually clicked with me after I thought about it.