By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch online requires Phone App? Why is no one talking about this?

WoodenPints said:

It really needs to be cleared up asap I mean what does having access to online without the app actually allow. Without lobbies and matchmaking how would one be able to play Splatoon 2 for example. I'm hopeing this is purely an option for those taking the handheld part on the road and everything else works as normal though a router when you rin the house. Nintendo really need to step up and clear up something so important like this.

But that makes no sense at all!!! The only diffrence between the switch at hoe and the switch on the road is a Dock. And the dock has nothing extra. Even on the go, you will still need a wifi hotspot for the switch to handle online play. Be it as a hotspot from your phone or a hotspot whereever you get one.Just makes no snse in any way that this isn't baked into the Switch.

Now  even if we want to look at it as some sort of elaborate parental control feature; that too makes no sense. If you want to limit online functionality, instead oflocking it out by means of creating a phone app, they could just give the option in the settings in the switch to not disable whatever onine features they wanna disable and lock that behind a password set by the parents. 

Peh said:

Well, then, so be it. I don't personally mind that. But it sucks for people who can't use it which are probably the minority.

You think? well howabout you look at it this way. 

No browser. minority issue.

no netflix/youtube. minority issue.

Impossible to charge and play on the Tv at the same time. Minority issue.

Limited online function with smartphone. Minority issue.

Small internal storage meaning that going digital means you spend more on storage. Minority issue.

Those issues that affect the "minority" as you put it starts to add up you know? And at least 95% of all those issues could have been easily avoided with just a little foresight on nintendos part.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Peh said:

Well, then, so be it. I don't personally mind that. But it sucks for people who can't use it which are probably the minority.

You think? well howabout you look at it this way. 

No browser. minority issue.

no netflix/youtube. minority issue.

Impossible to charge and play on the Tv at the same time. Minority issue.

Limited online function with smartphone. Minority issue.

Small internal storage meaning that going digital means you spend more on storage. Minority issue.

Those issues that affect the "minority" as you put it starts to add up you know? And at least 95% of all those issues could have been easily avoided with just a little foresight on nintendos part.

No browser. minority issue.  <- Not an issue for me

no netflix/youtube. minority issue. <- Not an issue for me

Impossible to charge and play on the Tv at the same time. Minority issue. <- Explain

Limited online function with smartphone. Minority issue. <- Not an issue for me

Small internal storage meaning that going digital means you spend more on storage. Minority issue. <- Not an issue for me

If all those stuff worries you, then this device is clearly not meant for you.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:

Impossible to charge and play on the Tv at the same time. Minority issue. <- Explain

Small internal storage meaning that going digital means you spend more on storage. Minority issue. <- Not an issue for me

I think what he's trying to point out that Nintendo require more than just 'you' for the Twitch to be successful. It's nice these thing don't bother you though.

The PS5 Exists. 

Peh said:                                 

You can't charge the Joy Cons while playing on docked mode, except if you buy the real Joy Con support at $30.

Another day, another d*ck move from Nintendo... I am not surprised, bottom drawer from Nintendo...

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

I think what he's trying to point out that Nintendo require more than just 'you' for the Twitch to be successful. It's nice these thing don't bother you though.

Thanks Gribs.... I thought that was obvious.

And Reggie calls this solution "compelling", it's like he's been locked into a confined room with no access to the world for well over a decade and only been allowed out to graze and talk nonsense with gaming press.

GribbleGrunger said:
Peh said:

Really?

Having a browser or not on a console decides if Nintendo will be successful or not? That's really grasping at straws. Netflix will come later. Youtube? Is it really that necessary?  The next thing is, that I can't play blurays on the switch, can't use Whatsapp and don't have android on it. And to top it all of, where is the Facebook app? What? No Facebook app? FAIL NINTENDO.

"Impossible to charge and play on the Tv at the same time"  The battery life is about 20 hours. What is the issue from placing them on the dock to charge them when you are done gaming? If someone is really so bothered by it, then buy the charger grip.  

Those aren't issues. Really, stop making them sound like they were.

I agree with limited online functionality.

But I don't really agree with small internal storage. A bigger flashdrive would increase the costs by a lot. You are still open to use additional SDXC cards up to 2TB!!

"Thanks Gribs.... I thought that was obvious."

Well, and I thought it was obvious that those are no real issues. Well, guess I was wrong with that.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Lots of people are talking and whining about this. Personally, I like it.

I'll be using a bluetooth headset anyway. As long as I can sync audio from my phone and gameplay into the headset I should be fine.

Using a phone to write out messages seems a lot easier than a controller too.

It will be nice to be able to check what games my friends are playing - even before I get on over to my Switch console.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Peh said:

Really?

Having a browser or not on a console decides if Nintendo will be successful or not? That's really grasping at straws. Netflix will come later. Youtube? Is it really that necessary?  The next thing is, that I can't play blurays on the switch, can't use Whatsapp and don't have android on it. And to top it all of, where is the Facebook app? What? No Facebook app? FAIL NINTENDO.

"Impossible to charge and play on the Tv at the same time"  The battery life is about 20 hours. What is the issue from placing them on the dock to charge them when you are done gaming? If someone is really so bothered by it, then buy the charger grip.  

Those aren't issues. Really, stop making them sound like they were.

I agree with limited online functionality.

But I don't really agree with small internal storage. A bigger flashdrive would increase the costs by a lot. You are still open to use additional SDXC cards up to 2TB!!

"Thanks Gribs.... I thought that was obvious."

Well, and I thought it was obvious that those are no real issues. Well, guess I was wrong with that.

Hmmmm.... I am beginning to notice a pattern here amongst nintendo fans. So anything taht doesn't affect you isn't a real issue?

The concept of subjectivity just seems to totally go over your head. And while all those things mentions are individually not big issues, a combination of any two or thre of them could be what it takes to make someone not buy in. Thats kinda how these things work. 

Because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there that it matters to. If you don't get that then I don't know what else to say. 

You seem to think taht everyone that buys a console is hell bent and determined and maybe even begging to buy it. Some poepl, make very calculated cautious choices as to which or when to buy a console and take notice of every other device fighting for that same usage scenario or money. Or is that concept lost to you too?

Lets take me for instance.... Being how I prefer to use my consoles this is what happens

• I will primarily use it connected to a large screen in its docked mode, and since I cant charge the joycons unless they are connected to the switch itself, I would either have to buy pro controller ($70) or a joycon USB grip ($30). 
  • I buy all my games digitally, so it means I will have to buy an SD card. 128GB ($40) , 500GB ($390+)... lets not even talk about 2TB!!!!!!
Those are my two major issues, the other would just be an annoyance. But those two issues makes the cost of entry for me go up from $299 to $370/$400 or a whopping $800 if I am stupid enough to want to get a 500GB SD card. 
See what I mean?