By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch online requires Phone App? Why is no one talking about this?

Intrinsic said:

Hmmmm.... I am beginning to notice a pattern here amongst nintendo fans. So anything taht doesn't affect you isn't a real issue?

The concept of subjectivity just seems to totally go over your head. And while all those things mentions are individually not big issues, a combination of any two or thre of them could be what it takes to make someone not buy in. Thats kinda how these things work. 

Because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there that it matters to. If you don't get that then I don't know what else to say. 

You seem to think taht everyone that buys a console is hell bent and determined and maybe even begging to buy it. Some poepl, make very calculated cautious choices as to which or when to buy a console and take notice of every other device fighting for that same usage scenario or money. Or is that concept lost to you too?

Lets take me for instance.... Being how I prefer to use my consoles this is what happens

• I will primarily use it connected to a large screen in its docked mode, and since I cant charge the joycons unless they are connected to the switch itself, I would either have to buy pro controller ($70) or a joycon USB grip ($30). 
  • I buy all my games digitally, so it means I will have to buy an SD card. 128GB ($40) , 500GB ($390+)... lets not even talk about 2TB!!!!!!
Those are my two major issues, the other would just be an annoyance. But those two issues makes the cost of entry for me go up from $299 to $370/$400 or a whopping $800 if I am stupid enough to want to get a 500GB SD card. 
See what I mean?

It's weird you know because I have a friend who's a Nintendo fan and he's exactly the same. He accepts the WiiU didn't do very well but when I give him the general consensus on why it didn't go down well he brings it back to himself. For instance I'll tell him that lots of people didn't like using the second screen as a controller and didn't like constantly looking down (the reason I sold mine) and he'll immediately go into why he didn't have a problem with it. So then the question still remains and he's still in the dark why it didn't do well. I'll then talk about the fact Nintendo needs to have better online and that's another reason it didn't do well ... and again he'll argue there's nothing wrong with it and return to wondering why it didn't do well. What makes it worse is he doesn't go on any forums or read any articles, so his position is one of complete ignorance. He seems to have the inability to see the bigger picture but then again, so does Nintendo.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Intrinsic said:

Hmmmm.... I am beginning to notice a pattern here amongst nintendo fans. So anything taht doesn't affect you isn't a real issue?

The concept of subjectivity just seems to totally go over your head. And while all those things mentions are individually not big issues, a combination of any two or thre of them could be what it takes to make someone not buy in. Thats kinda how these things work. 

Because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there that it matters to. If you don't get that then I don't know what else to say. 

You seem to think taht everyone that buys a console is hell bent and determined and maybe even begging to buy it. Some poepl, make very calculated cautious choices as to which or when to buy a console and take notice of every other device fighting for that same usage scenario or money. Or is that concept lost to you too?

Lets take me for instance.... Being how I prefer to use my consoles this is what happens

• I will primarily use it connected to a large screen in its docked mode, and since I cant charge the joycons unless they are connected to the switch itself, I would either have to buy pro controller ($70) or a joycon USB grip ($30). 
  • I buy all my games digitally, so it means I will have to buy an SD card. 128GB ($40) , 500GB ($390+)... lets not even talk about 2TB!!!!!!
Those are my two major issues, the other would just be an annoyance. But those two issues makes the cost of entry for me go up from $299 to $370/$400 or a whopping $800 if I am stupid enough to want to get a 500GB SD card. 
See what I mean?

It's weird you know because I have a friend who's a Nintendo fan and he's exactly the same. He accepts the WiiU didn't do very well but when I give him the general consensus on why it didn't go down well he brings it back to himself. For instance I'll tell him that lots of people didn't like using the second screen as a controller and didn't like constantly looking down (the reason I sold mine) and he'll immediately go into why he didn't have a problem with it. So then the question still remains and he's still in the dark why it didn't do well. I'll then talk about the fact Nintendo needs to have better online and that's another reason it didn't do well ... and again he'll argue there's nothing wrong with it and return to wondering why it didn't do well. What makes it worse is he doesn't go on any forums or read any articles, so his position is one of complete ignorance. He seems to have the inability to see the bigger picture but then again, so does Nintendo.

It's been pretty obvious for a while now, but since the Switch's conference, it's almost comical.

Seriously, if you take the PS Vita as an example, the Vita owners themselves will tell you to think twice about buying it because it's not for everybody, even if it's the best console for them. Same thing with the XBox One, the owners admit easily that Microsoft did mistakes and need to improve on several points.

But Nintendo could announce tomorrow that the Switch will finally cost $500, that Zelda is delayed, or that the console won't have a digital store at all, and we still would find quite a lot of people here saying that we complain about nothing and that they're perfectly fine with that, so no problem.

GribbleGrunger said:

I hadn't honestlynoticed this about nintendo fans until now. Like I have alwyas thought that nintendo fans just didnt really care about graphics and were just more into nintendo franchises. I still think most of them on here are like that. But over the past week I have noticed another side to them (some of them) that I hadn't ever noticed before. 

Its actually scary, because they aren't making a case when disputing or dismissing your argument or observation. Rather they tell you that your issue doiesn't really exist, or you are weird to have such an issue or that it doesnt affect them so it must mean you are in a monority. No matter how ridiculous what they say is.

Like the guy that i was responding to? He did all that, but thats even ok. I wonder if he had any idea how much a 2TB mini sd crad cost when he was shouting "up to 2TB" like its this really good thing. And that was fter he outright dismissed everything taht had been pointed out.

Intrinsic said:

I hadn't honestlynoticed this about nintendo fans until now. Like I have alwyas thought that nintendo fans just didnt really care about graphics and were just more into nintendo franchises. I still think most of them on here are like that. But over the past week I have noticed another side to them (some of them) that I hadn't ever noticed before. 

Its actually scary, because they aren't making a case when disputing or dismissing your argument or observation. Rather they tell you that your issue doiesn't really exist, or you are weird to have such an issue or that it doesnt affect them so it must mean you are in a monority. No matter how ridiculous what they say is.

Like the guy that i was responding to? He did all that, but thats even ok. I wonder if he had any idea how much a 2TB mini sd crad cost when he was shouting "up to 2TB" like its this really good thing. And that was fter he outright dismissed everything taht had been pointed out.

When I told my friend the three reasons I thought the Vita didn't do well (Lack of Sony support, ripping people off with proprietory memory cards and it looked too expensive to be giving your siblings for outdoor use) he agreed 100%, so clearly the concept of objective thinking isn't entirely lost on him ... LOL

Nintendo themselves take measures to avoid being part of that narrative and there's your answer. It's the same reason XB1 fans are now obsessed with online activity.

The PS5 Exists. 

Hopefully there is a mic or you can plug a headset into headphone jack because I don't like using smartphone apps. This only really matters to me if they go to a PS3 model where you can play online or pay more for discounts, monthly games and use that stupid app. If it is pay or no play then I won't play online. I don't even use my Wii U for online play as much as I should.

Around the Network

for a mobile console:

a smartphone app is a good solution to the problem of online gaming on the go.  vita allowed me to add my device to my phone's data plan but that requires a $10 a month "device access fee".  i'm not paying that.  tethering things to the phone directly is a step in the right direction.  i'm not sure it entirely solves things because data is still very expensive and frequent online mobile gaming is still going to be cost prohibative (at least in USA) but it is better than what vita offered.

for a mobile or home console:

replicating some OS features onto a smartphone is nice.  loads of things are allowing people to control them with their smartphones these days including things like controlling the heat/air conditioning of my house.  i'm particularly fond of being able to view my infants baby monitor on my smartphone.  people like these features and being able to turn off the console (parental controls) from my smartphone is not a compelling feature but still very nice.  i would appreciate it if the playstation app was as feature rich as nintendo is currently advertising their app.  hopefully playstation takes note and improves.

for a home console:

if a smartphone application is the only way to do voice chat then that is fucking retarded.  

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Gaf memes never disapoint

i was just about to post that.  hilarious!  i don't like gaf for the most part but dear god do they have a great community of meme creators.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Gaf memes never disapoint

Okay now THAT is funny

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Hynad said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Dumb move. They're just doing this to protect the kiddies that don't even buy their fucking products anyways.

Whatever their reason (we'll get to know what it's all about when they actually reveal their plans in the coming months), this argument is silly.

Kids may not buy their products, as you say, but many parents buy their products for their kids. -_____-

Even if that was true the function is still locked behind a pay wall that would require a parent to buy Nintendo membership so it would still be pointless.

Intrinsic said:
Peh said:

Really?

Having a browser or not on a console decides if Nintendo will be successful or not? That's really grasping at straws. Netflix will come later. Youtube? Is it really that necessary?  The next thing is, that I can't play blurays on the switch, can't use Whatsapp and don't have android on it. And to top it all of, where is the Facebook app? What? No Facebook app? FAIL NINTENDO.

"Impossible to charge and play on the Tv at the same time"  The battery life is about 20 hours. What is the issue from placing them on the dock to charge them when you are done gaming? If someone is really so bothered by it, then buy the charger grip.  

Those aren't issues. Really, stop making them sound like they were.

I agree with limited online functionality.

But I don't really agree with small internal storage. A bigger flashdrive would increase the costs by a lot. You are still open to use additional SDXC cards up to 2TB!!

"Thanks Gribs.... I thought that was obvious."

Well, and I thought it was obvious that those are no real issues. Well, guess I was wrong with that.

See what I mean?

Seriously. It's an issue for you, because you seem to make one out of it for the sake of it. You think you reflect the majority of complains about the console. No, you simply don't.

First point. Like I already said: You can attach the joy-cons on the handheld for charging them up after you are done gaming. If that is way too much for you, then sadly, you have to spend 30 $ for that power grip. Maybe there will be a bundled pro Controller at a slightly higher cost. Who knows. But at this moment, there is not.

Second point. Because YOU buy all your games digitally, does this mean that the issue is on Nintendo? What do you actually expect them to do? Ask you first how much GB you need for your games and then produce the console at a higher price point? People are now complaining that this device is way too expensive for completely different reasons. Seriously, what do you want? If they increase the flashdrive to 128 GB then you can expect a higher cost of min. 100$. Thus will be too expensive for too many people. And I promise you, there will still be people complaining that the flashdrive size of 128 gb is still too small. This issue is enterily on you. The consumer. You have the option to buy the games physically.

"Hmmmm.... I am beginning to notice a pattern here amongst nintendo fans. So anything taht doesn't affect you isn't a real issue?

The concept of subjectivity just seems to totally go over your head."

And what the hell? Because you are unable to provide a reasonable argument against me, it must be because of me liking Nintendo stuff that I am not agreeing to everything you throw at me? Yeah, tell yourself that. Fox and the grapes. Read it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3