By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch online requires Phone App? Why is no one talking about this?

SegataSanshiro said:

I DON'T OWN A TABLET OR SMARTPHONE.....that is so dumb. So I can't use online at all? I mean it's going to take me a long while to save up for a Switch. I seriously do not own a smart device.

You can "use online" with the Switch alone. But so far, from the info we got, a mobile device will be required for matchmaking and voice chat. 

Will it be the ONLY way to do all that? That much we're still not sure.

Around the Network
Peh said:
Intrinsic said:

So basically, to giv you the best switch possible they require you buy a smartphone.

Thats what you are saying right?

There are people who don't have a smartphone? wow.

To emphasize it more:

People have money to buy a console and several multiplayer games, but can't afford a smartphone?

Alot of kids dont.

Moms & dads buying a switch for their kids are gonna get annouyed by this, once their kids beg them for splatoon.

They buy it and find out they need to buy their kids a phone too, along with monthly sub for phone, monthly sub for nintendo online, and buy a nitnendo phone app.

Suddenly that "splatoon" game just got awhole lot more expensive.

Hynad said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I DON'T OWN A TABLET OR SMARTPHONE.....that is so dumb. So I can't use online at all? I mean it's going to take me a long while to save up for a Switch. I seriously do not own a smart device.

You can "use online" with the Switch alone. But so far, from the info we got, a mobile device will be required for matchmaking and voice chat. 

Will it be the ONLY way to do all that? That much we're still not sure.

You dont know that.

If that was the case nitnendo wouldnt have even bothered mentioning all this "do it on the phone app".

It sounds like you CANNOT do it without a phone.

Right now your wrong about what your saying.

I hope you turn out right, and nintendo PR just f***ed up their messageing.

but it really sounds like your wrong.

JRPGfan said:

You dont know that.

If that was the case nitnendo wouldnt have even bothered mentioning all this "do it on the phone app".

Yes, I actually know that. You can play online without the app. 

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

It's the features that are working through the app, releasing later, that I don't know if they will be possible through the Switch console itself. Online gaminf, on the other hand, I know will be possible without the app. Because it is mentioned on their official website. Hope that helped.

Hynad said:
JRPGfan said:

You dont know that.

Ive seen that page before and read it.... where does it say what you claim?

also think about it... why would reggie say the things he did about voicechat/lobbies/matchmakeing useing a phone app, if that wasnt true?

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Hynad said:

FFS. Can you read or not?

Here, let me spoon feed it to you:

Available in March (Free trial):

Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in fall 2017. 

Planned for fall 2017:

Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device. 

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Do you get it, now?

"If they say you can play online from the get go in March, and the app comes out later during fall, it means you don't need the app to play online. It's not rocket science."

Its possible to software to do something one way, and then lateron another.
But like I said I hope your right.

Hynad said:
JRPGfan said:

FFS. Can you read or not?

Here, let me spoon feed it to you:

Available in March (Free trial):

Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in fall 2017. 

Planned for fall 2017:

Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device. 

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Do you get it, now?

So, without the app it is the same like on the Wii U until Fall 2017.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JRPGfan said:

Its possible to software to do something one way, and then lateron another.

You're trying too hard to downplay everything. Just stop.

Peh said:
Intrinsic said:

So basically, to giv you the best switch possible they require you buy a smartphone.

Thats what you are saying right?

There are people who don't have a smartphone? wow.

To emphasize it more:

People have money to buy a console and several multiplayer games, but can't afford a smartphone?

OMG....... you too?

To emphasize it more.... it SHOULD NOT have to be that way. Having a smartphone shouldn't be a requirement to have the switch. 

Talking like this just makes you come of as one of those poeple that will excuse any and everything nintendo does. And yes, some people don't have a smartphone. Some people have a feature phone, some people may not use a phone at all and even if they do..... its just extremely stupid requiring someoe to have to use a phone.

I have no idea how you can be excusingthis nonsense.