By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to not have Achievements once again?

Should Nintendo add a Achievement system?

Yes! 169 65.50%

No! 89 34.50%

Total:258

I never understood people's obsessive need for an Achievement Trophy system. As if someone scoring 100 points, 80 rebounds and 80 assists in one game with Lebron James, or killing 100 zombies with an umbrella instead of a chainsaw meant they got more enjoyment or more value out of their game than anyone else. I actually preferred the way it was handled with Wii U games better. Stars or stamps rewarded at the end of levels instead of annoying pop-ups in the middle of gameplay. And, if I was particularly proud of an individual game moment or "achievement", all I had to is click a snapshot of it on Miiverse. I didn't need Microsoft to pat me on the back with a 10 game points for finishing level one of a game.
Yes, I do have an Xbox One. And so, having one console with achievements, and one without, I don't feel like I got any less satisfaction from completing a game on Wii U than I did on Xbox. So, if the Switch doesn't have a system identical to what Microsoft or Sony uses, it won't make any difference to me.

Around the Network

I don't see the point of achievements if they don't unlock extra content.

Unfortunate for people who wanted one. I never bothered with it playing on the 360 so I don't care for it but I hope Nintendo incorporates it for people who do want one.

This would be a really bad move

If they can take paid online from PS4 and Xbox, they better also adopt proper achievements this time around :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

In my opinion achievements are stupid and break the immersion. I always disable or hide them wherever possible.

Around the Network
etking said:
In my opinion achievements are stupid and break the immersion. I always disable or hide them wherever possible.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside me when I get an achievement on Steam for launching a game, watching an intro or getting past a tutorial.

Trophies is one of the worst things ever added to games. It's changed game design for the worse. It's a false sense of padding. Back in the day it was just better game design that had people coming back. This is to show off and only one who cares is the person earning it but everyone is like the business card scene in American Psycho. I hope they never implement it.

Already have enough with ps trophies so i wouldn't care if the Switch had them.

However it would be nice for the people that want them, diversity is key, as long as you can disable them i see no good arguments against them.

There's still no info about it though.

Seriously Nintendo, we need more information about your console.

ive never had an interest in the achievement/trophy systems, back in the 80' and 90's their was no such thing as achievements/trophys yet people enjoyed playing games, i find the achievement/trophy system a distraction from the game itself, even today playing forza horizon 3 i have much more fun racing people online and going for cruses or playing hide and seek than i would from trying to unlock all the achievements, big deal ive unlocked achievements but the point of playing games is to have fun, just to name a few of my all time favorite games (mainly racing games) sonic, MSR, GT3-A-Spec, PGR, PGR2, Test drive unlimited, turrican 2, Diablo 2, bubble bobble, R type 2, Carmageddon 2, the Forza sires, most of the games listed on their original format never had achievements yet i still go back and play them and i know Steam, Origin and U-play have their own achievements systems but i dont play for achievements, i play to have fun so if the switch has achievements or not it wont play any role in my decision if i chose to buy one or not, its all to do with how much fun can be had with the games on the system.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

What is the point of having an achievement system? Just to say "I did that!"? The novelty of it has worn off for me honestly, and I just play games to play games. If I get achievements while doing so, then woo hoo for that. I don't think that Nintendo needs an achievement system. Rather than that, why not create a system similar to what Halo did where you search areas for skulls and you get in-game unlocks? At least with that it is fun, and you feel like you are actually "achieving" something. Just my 2 cents :)

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge